E63S - Which colour (that isn't black)

• Thread starter Deleted member 154425
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh and in terms of wrapping those chrome pieces. Just wondering if it's false economy. Wrap lasts 3-5yrs and with stripping and re-wrapping I am not sure it is cheaper in the long run. Don't know. Given the current situation I also want to avoid going to different places (social distancing and all that) so I'd rather find a solution one place alone can implement. But agree, the price for the dechrome isn't cheap, but it's now just for the window surrounds. :

"chrome elements of the car - front splitter, door handles, roof rack rails, boot lid eyebrow, rear diffuser - in gloss black"

Although I think we missunderstood as I don't think blackout of the from splitter is worth it. Actually wondering if that should remain as accent.

The from splitter and side skirts have only the leading edge in chrome so that could really stay.

But what is really annoying are the door handles. They are like a sore spot in my eyes in chrome.

But what is really annoying are the door handles. They are like a sore spot in my eyes in chrome.
I agree, IMO they are so 'Old School'.
I understand that cars of a certain style and era have a look of elegance with chrome accents, but........................

Obviously manufactures spend $million's on R&D and Mercedes believe they have got it right or they wouldn't produce them like this. You can't please everyone, every time, but I would have preferred body colour door handles given the choice.

I might actually change my mind anyway in regards of the car. Obviously been more digging. Just pulled the VIN from this and another car I know of and pulled a whole list of standard and options. Gonna compare those. What I DO find interesting is the steering wheel of the one I paid the deposit for.

It has the same SW as the c63s. Is that the new model ?! Don't see it as extra anywhere.

I think satin PPF on chrome parts is a brilliant idea, and has to be less expensive than £2600 (plus VAT?). Was £2600 just to paint the door handles. Surely buying new ones would be cheaper?

No, not just that

"blackout of the chrome elements of the car - front splitter, door handles, roof rack rails, boot lid eyebrow, rear diffuser - in gloss black"

As it turns out window trims and rear eyebrow are too thin for PPF and handles are high wearing so won't be PPFd. I presume the same makes sense for roof bars. I intend to actually use them and with PPF I am sure it'll be damaged pretty quickly.

I think Mercedes use chrome door handles to denote keyless entry, on the 204 they're body colour if it's not keyless.

Painting (not wrapping) of the chrome parts (car doesn't have dark option) is about 2500+vat.
Fackin hell 3 grand? What are they painting it in? 18k gold?

I had the chrome wrapped on my XFR and it cost me £360 (appreciate that’s in situ and painting will mean removal) but you’d probably be better off buying the parts already done from Mercedes and swapping them out.

I might actually change my mind anyway in regards of the car. Obviously been more digging. Just pulled the VIN from this and another car I know of and pulled a whole list of standard and options. Gonna compare those. What I DO find interesting is the steering wheel of the one I paid the deposit for.

It has the same SW as the c63s. Is that the new model ?! Don't see it as extra anywhere.

The steering wheel has changed 3 times in the last 3- 4 years in the E class oddly enough. If its a current car built earlier this year it will have the same wheel as the C63s, which is this type:IMG_6762.PNG

However, the new type steering wheel with the complete redesign (thinner spokes, all touch sensors with haptics) is already on production cars now that has restarted so waiting for the new design might be worth while.

Also regarding the chrome trim, have you seen it in the flesh? I'm pretty certain the E Class is similar to the GT in that the chrome is not actually bright, it has a matte finish anyway. When I got my car I was concerned about this but in the flesh its definitely not bright chrome, its a pronounced matte finish. The attached picture isnt that high quality but you can see its fairly subtle even for a Mercedes
IMG_6763.JPG

I saw a different one yea - I never really liked it - I think the real issue are the door handles and window trims - for me anyway.
But whilst I am a huge batman fan - I wouldn't go completely blacked out either. I already decided I will that the overhang of the splitter and side-skirts will stay as they are, nor will I darken the badges ... I don't even mind the chrome exhausts - obviously work better in black when the car is red for example - but in black - I like it.

But don't know - I find the chrome pretty bright - but yea - I will decide again once I have it in my own hands ... Can't wait for the opening again ....

Here a picture of the beauty

screenshot_204.png

On my GLC63s, i have the night pack, only chrome is the chrome badges, door handles and grill. Wish they did the lot.

may get them all wrapped tbh.

Door handles are high usage areas. I know shops that won't do them whilst others do. I DO wonder though what they look like after a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom