Electric Polisher/product recommendations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I spent several years in the motor business, and enticing though it may seem, I'd never use any polishing pads etc with a drill...either get a proper polisher, or by hand ( which is very hard work...) You can sometimes get a two handed type polisher in Aldi or Lidl, for a very reasonable price, and see how it works out for you. Friend of mine is a professional detailer, and his range of equipment and tools cost a few thousand. But he turns out some work.

Rupes are market leaders for the pro detailer, high quality and last for a long time,this is highly recommended if your doing a car a week,I have 5 different sized polishers at present,but @home there's no reason to spend that amount,das pro will do the job as will other cheaper set ups, I would focus on technique,polish porduct and pad type,this will make all the difference.

Mercedes paint is fairly hard so dive in, stay away from softer paint types to start with.

Don't get a Rotary polisher, not for use without a lot of experience. For ease of use and a degree of safety, get a DA polisher, and for all products matching and from one place, you'd not go far wrong in looking at Autobrite Direct. They will have all you'd need, plus tutorials too.

I'd stay away from Von Haus products, I had one, had no end of problems with it and ended up binning it and buying a reputable make!

Don't get a Rotary polisher, not for use without a lot of experience. For ease of use and a degree of safety, get a DA polisher, and for all products matching and from one place, you'd not go far wrong in looking at Autobrite Direct. They will have all you'd need, plus tutorials too.

Rotary are no problem at all , just keep it moving which is kinda the idea anyways .

I'd stay away from Von Haus products, I had one, had no end of problems with it and ended up binning it and buying a reputable make!
+1. I had a Von Haus garden vac/blower that didn't last one season. Never again.

Rotary are no problem at all , just keep it moving which is kinda the idea anyways .
Even for the pro I would heavily disagree! My 968 coupe had never been machine polished until after purchase. I took it to a Porsche main dealer for service and changing the windscreen and sunroof seal, it came back with machine polisher swirls all over it that took ages to cure. As an amateur go for a DA first, once you know what you're doing - and have more work that warrants a bigger tool - consider changing the DA to a rotary - but not before, and beware if you do!!

Make sure you buy the "303" branded UV sealant for protecting your headlights after you bring them back to life, otherwise you'll be doing them again by next summer

I have just bought a DA8 from "In2Detailling" . You can buy it standalone for £109 or The DA8 + Scholl s20 compound +2 medium pads for £135 as a kit.. Check out his website. His name is Imran, very approachable with a wealth of knowledge. I was looking to buy other pads etc, but he told me I could buy them, but did not need them, so did himself out of a bigger sale. Not many like him.

My business is a distributor for FLEX powertools who seem to be quite big in the detailling, although we don't deal with that market (we do the stone machinery) I can buy any product from the FLEX catalogue.

Happy to do that for members at cost+postage if there's a specific machine you like the look of. Just for personal use of course. RIght now turnaround from Germany is about two weeks from order if they have them in stock and available to go. It can sometimes be longer for 240v machines if they need replugging.

PM me if there's something you want. (I'd need model numbers as I know nothing about car polishers) and I'll get prices.
Now that sounds like a brilliant gesture.

Ive been looking into the PXE80 recently.

Would you be able to price me one up please?

many thanks

Now that sounds like a brilliant gesture.

Ive been looking into the PXE80 recently.

Would you be able to price me one up please?

many thanks
RedC220 asked for members to send him a PM if you wanted him to get a price. You might receive a faster response that way 👍

rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just resurrect: I don't want to spend more than 60 quid and I will probs only use it once or twice (so it does not have to be robust) then I'll try and keep on top of cleaning: would this be ok?

rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just resurrect: I don't want to spend more than 60 quid and I will probs only use it once or twice (so it does not have to be robust) then I'll try and keep on top of cleaning: would this be ok?

Don't see why not . 👍

I think rotaries are a bit more risky to use than DA's in terms of damaging paint from what ive read. Just before Xmas i bought the Argos cheapy DA as it was only £42, then added a couple of decent pads and some polish. I did also add a smaller backing plate so a bit over £60 but not much. It actually works very well. I'd debated and stalled for years over whether to get a more expensive one, but this Argos one seems perfectly fine for occasional use.

Good price for a starter kit .

I think rotaries are a bit more risky to use than DA's in terms of damaging paint from what ive read. Just before Xmas i bought the Argos cheapy DA as it was only £42, then added a couple of decent pads and some polish. I did also add a smaller backing plate so a bit over £60 but not much. It actually works very well. I'd debated and stalled for years over whether to get a more expensive one, but this Argos one seems perfectly fine for occasional use.
Used mine on over 8 cars over 10 years , I've never damaged any paintwork yet . Just keep it wet and slow to medium speeds , the sponge pads are a dream to work with .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom