• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

End passenger flights?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date Start date
I've travelled to Europe many more times taking the car on the ferry than by flying .
I’ve travelled to Europe very many more times by plane than by car. My many 1 or 2 day working trips to Warsaw, Helsinki, Rome, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels and Zurich would have taken a lot longer by car, as well as clocking up massive hotel bills.

It won't help with a new virus... but it will help with the old ones. People die all time from various diseases they caught from other people, but it's not a pandemic so we don't worry about it. Lives can be saved if we knew who is vaccinated, who is immune, and who is a carrier for a range of potentially-fatal infectious diseases.

I spoke once to a lady that worked at a medical centre treating refugees and asylum seekers. Some were diagnosed with TB, were told to always wear a face mask when in public places, and attend regular monthly follow-ups. Few wore the mask, and all disappeared without trace withing a few weeks, never to be seen again, probably living in the community to this day.

PS - this is not an anti-immigration rant, it is just when people have an infectious disease and no fixed abode, this combination presents a potential public health issue.

The old ones didn't create our current situation, a new one did. And the next one will be 'new'. And on it goes. Are we going to ignore this and pretend we can globetrot on timescales that cannot isolate a virus before entering a country anew with impunity? Placing disease free behind right to holiday abroad is insane. Until that point is recognised and embraced then we will repeat current events until human extinction. Too serious? Well, fvck it, lets throw open the doors and party in the streets if there's nothing to fear.

I’ve travelled to Europe very many more times by plane than by car. My many 1 or 2 day working trips to Warsaw, Helsinki, Rome, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels and Zurich would have taken a lot longer by car, as well as clocking up massive hotel bills.
I've only flown to the continent three times in my life : twice for city breaks , and once for a longer holiday ; but I have taken many road trips across the continent , where the journey itself was the holiday , visiting Holland , Germany , Austria , Italy , Denmark and Poland . These trips were generally of much longer duration . Hotel bills were generally very modest since an overnight stop in a Gasthof or Pension would typically cost €20 or €30 a night , including breakfast , so hardly massive . More often than not these were just found on arrival without pre booking .

I've only flown to the continent three times in my life : twice for city breaks , and once for a longer holiday ; but I have taken many road trips across the continent , where the journey itself was the holiday , visiting Holland , Germany , Austria , Italy , Denmark and Poland .

I always reckoned Mobilo was a much better deal for those who would undertake these sorts of trips than for those of us less inclined to take our own cars out of the country.

Reactions: 219
The old ones didn't create our current situation, a new one did. And the next one will be 'new'. And on it goes. Are we going to ignore this and pretend we can globetrot on timescales that cannot isolate a virus before entering a country anew with impunity? Placing disease free behind right to holiday abroad is insane. Until that point is recognised and embraced then we will repeat current events until human extinction. Too serious? Well, fvck it, lets throw open the doors and party in the streets if there's nothing to fear.
By that reckoning, are you saying we should close the country’s doors to prevent anyone entering from elsewhere because they may be carrying a new virus? It only takes one carrier to infect a nation after all. But such a carrier may get into the country illegally via our considerable coastline, unless we ask Trump for recommendations on wall builders.

By that reckoning, are you saying we should close the country’s doors to prevent anyone entering from elsewhere because they may be carrying a new virus? It only takes one carrier to infect a nation after all. But such a carrier may get into the country illegally via our considerable coastline, unless we ask Trump for recommendations on wall builders.

Not even close to what I said.

It's a numbers game.

There is a flow of illegals - probably a lot higher than we realise. We chose as a nation to be fairly apathetic about it.

But until a month ago the numbers flowing in and out with proper documentation was huge. Much larger. And more controllable. We also chose as nation to be fairly apathetic about that. Most of the actual contols on flying have been by other nations (which has an impact on our flows) and also - conveniently - the public don't seem to be too keen to fly.

Four + years obsessing about a handful (relatively) of migrants arriving in dinghies (some of whom have turned out to be key 'essential workers') while ignoring the risk posed by millions going and coming with a potentially lethal virus. The tragedy is the rush to resume that.

I always reckoned Mobilo was a much better deal for those who would undertake these sorts of trips than for those of us less inclined to take our own cars out of the country.
It never existed back in the days when I did it ; first time was a week long trip to Geneva in a W116 280SE , bought not long before for £200 ! Never missed a beat !

..... unless we ask Trump for recommendations on wall builders.
We don't need to ; large parts of Hadrian's wall are still extant 2000 years on , and some parts of Antonine's wall still visible too , including a fortlet less than a mile from where I am .

For more recent actual experience , we could look to the Germans , who built one within living memory .

I have tried FlightRadar24 there are 2 of the Noisy Fecks in the Circuit right now and not visible, they must have enabled "Stealth Mode" :rolleyes:
I've seen a fair amount of comment over the last few weeks and the flight tracker has shown up a comprehensive coverage of areas about as big as a county in up/down formation, it looks a lot like mapping/satellite type activity.

I've seen a fair amount of comment over the last few weeks and the flight tracker has shown up a comprehensive coverage of areas about as big as a county in up/down formation, it looks a lot like mapping/satellite type activity.

I was quite surprised at the amount of Flight Traffic, the Aircraft that I am referring to are definitely Fighter/Fast Bombers, probably twin Engines, they are just tiny specks or a slight glint when they reflect the Sun! RAF Mildenhall is my Prime Suspect! :(

Four + years obsessing about a handful (relatively) of migrants arriving in dinghies (some of whom have turned out to be key 'essential workers') while ignoring the risk posed by millions going and coming with a potentially lethal virus. The tragedy is the rush to resume that.

Another desperate attempt to discredit the democratic vote for Brexit by conflating two disparate events.

Illegal immigration is just that, illegal. It puts many innocent people at risk whilst making huge sums of money for criminal gangs as well as being a route for some terrorists . As you say this has been an ongoing problem for years.

C19 has been a World problem for under 6 months.

Another desperate attempt to discredit the democratic vote for Brexit by conflating two disparate events.

Illegal immigration is just that, illegal. It puts many innocent people at risk whilst making huge sums of money for criminal gangs as well as being a route for some terrorists . As you say this has been an ongoing problem for years.

C19 has been a World problem for under 6 months.

I didn't mention Brexit.
What are you trying to conflate?

I didn't mention Brexit.
What are you trying to conflate?
No you did not mention Brexit directly but clearly alluded to it with your "4 years +" comment. Why else chose that specific time frame? If you do not wish to be challenged on parts of your posts then be more specific.

But that is your style, grumble, jibe, complain, freely distribute blame but never really come out with any solutions and never accept anyone else has a valid viewpoint. Discussing anything with you is impossible because you naturally assume that you are always right and the rest of us are wrong although the negative comments your posts receive and the large number of likes in posts opposing your own should have given you a clue.

There are interesting, thoughtful and rational people on here with whom a discussion may be held even with contrary viewpoints, we do not need your constantly negative drivel. I had hoped you may have been adding something positive to the forum for a change but ......:wallbash:

Time to filter it out again

Last edited:
Given that (apparently) the change in traffic and flights have had a discernible impact on air quality already, any thoughts on the government loading higher duties on flying anywhere at all?

I've travelled to Europe many more times taking the car on the ferry than by flying

We are very fortunate in being able to access such a large continent without needing to fly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom