• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Engine Bay

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Today I've had a wipe around under the bonnet, but what's the best product for dressing the various engine parts, some of which will obviously get very hot.

WD40 has been mentioned previously.

WD40 is good as is most of the off the shelf "black stuff"dressing. My own preference is for distilled virgins urine imported from the middle east. You could import your own virgin but that has other implications. Not least that you would then have to hold them over the engine and squeeze them to get the urine out.

Whatever you do? Do not try and have them deliver the dodo juice. It's lumpy and does not react well to hot manifolds.

Weird :confused:

I use Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care. Spray on and a quick wipe over brings it all up a treat without it looking too shiny.

I will tell you a small trick of the trade. Once you have degreased the engine bay and it's ready for dressing (I.e. Your happy with the way it looks) then spray aerospace 303 over all plastics and hoses. Shut the bonnet, leave for over 24 hours. When you come back to it it will look immaculate with all plastics natural black. Just take a microfibre, wipe over the whole engine so there's no smears and it will look perfect. By leaving it for a long period of time it will absorb into the plastics keeping it that way for many a year and water will brad beautifully off it too:)

Cheers Michael

My engine block seems a bit furry, what's the best way of cleaning this off? If I rub it with a cloth it snags and leaves fluff.

Paddcomp said:
My engine block seems a bit furry, what's the best way of cleaning this off? If I rub it with a cloth it snags and leaves fluff.
beard trimmer?

Off to try this now. :)

Make sure the engine is degreased properly. I find Surfex HD works the best or a strong dilution of megs apc. Make sure it's properly dry otherwise 303 will not bond. It says to spray and wipe off. But leave it for 1-2 days then go back to it and wipe it down. It really will last. I have a Ferrari 458 Italia in at the moment. It's not in for a full engine bay detail but I'll do this simple but effective process and posts pics Sunday as I won't wipe it down till Saturday,

Cheers
Michael

Engine bay was already cleaned and tidy so should be OK.

I did it last night immediately after I posted. Just sprayed 303 all over it, shut the bonnet and have left it there overnight. Forgot to look this morning as I only went in the garage to put some stuff away but will have a look later if I remember.

I remember years ago doing something similar to this on the old plastic dashboards, which was to spray them with furniture polish and leave them overnight. This too gave a far better gloss than the "spray on - wipe off" which was suggested on the packaging.

Will report back tomorrow on how it's come up. :)

Some cheapskates who baulk at massively expensive products with added Unobtainium and extra BS spray Tyre Slik onto an old microfibre cloth then wipe over engine bay bits that need tarting up.

Allegedly.

Last edited:
I'm gonna give the 303 a go - thanks guys.

Have you opened your bonnet yet Dave :confused::D.

I really rate Autoglym Vinyl Rubber Conditioner. Spray, let it set for about an hour and wipe with a MF to dull the shine to make it look as-new.

Best bit, it's available from Halfords for peanuts. I have used Aerospace 303 before and it isn't actually any better IMO.

AG engine bay:

I'm gonna give the 303 a go - thanks guys.

Have you opened your bonnet yet Dave :confused::D.

Forgot about it until today John. :) Which means it's had a fair few hours to fester and seems to have done the job.

All I did was a quick wipe round with a cloth and it has really made a difference.

Hopefully you'll see for yourself on Wednesday? If I remember I'll bring some Aerospace 303 with me.

I've read somewhere that cleaning products containing silicone can contaminate air mass sensors. Any truth in this??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom