Engine starting issue - No glow plug lights, no engine cranking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxfordian

Car
C220 CDI Sports Coupe
The car is a 19 year old C220 Cdi with 260,000+ miles. The short read is that, returning to my car after having parked up for 30 mins, it would not start. No glow plug lights displayed and the engine did not crank. It got going after 15 mins but it's happened again.

This intermittent issue is making me highly nervous. It's obviously an electrical problem but would anyone like to suggest anything more specific that I may be able to check out?

The long read!
I got out of the supermarket, loaded up my old C220 Cdi, turned the key, and could not see the glow-plug lights. So waited another 10 seconds then fully turned the key and the engine would not crank. After repeatedly trying, with the same results I popped the bonnet, looked helplessly at the engine, touched a few wires, slammed the bonnet shut and reached for my phone.

Just before I called the AA, I tried the start sequence again, and this time the glow plug lights appeared, the engine cranked, and it started.

On the way home, I stop at another shop for some milk, but when I get back in the car, the whole crazy cycle starts again (no glow plug lights, engine does not crank). This time I have a go at checking fuses inside & under the bonnet but it's getting dark, so I give up and in desperation try the start sequence again. It starts and I go straight home feeling very nervous!

When I got home, I parked, switch the engine off and almost immediately try to start and of course it does not. I now see that the front offside indicator bulb is now blown.

It's been a few days since that heart sinking experience and today I've just returned from starting the car. It has started normally first time (battery is just 3 months old) and I've driven it for a few miles then returned home and parked. I've done a few start checks and it's starting normally, but I have to get into town and I'm nervous.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Tks for making it this far!

I would recommend you start with a star/xentry diagnosis. My guess would be at the diesel filter, and glow plug relay/wire. Given the battery and fuses, that's another thing, and there would be other symptoms of them as well. But anything related to the glow plugs, glow plug relay and it's cables, plus the diesel filter are my guess for now. Until a full star scan is completed you won't know much, and after a scan an inspection by any mb certified tech should guide you in the correct direction.

I would recommend you start with a star/xentry diagnosis. My guess would be at the diesel filter, and glow plug relay/wire. Given the battery and fuses, that's another thing, and there would be other symptoms of them as well. But anything related to the glow plugs, glow plug relay and it's cables, plus the diesel filter are my guess for now. Until a full star scan is completed you won't know much, and after a scan an inspection by any mb certified tech should guide you in the correct direction.
Aidroos,
Thanks for the response. Since the issue, I've used the vehicle on 2 separate occasions with several interim stops & restart without a recurrence but I'm arranging to have a Star scan as the insecurity is just too great!
Regards

Aidroos,
Thanks for the response. Since the issue, I've used the vehicle on 2 separate occasions with several interim stops & restart without a recurrence but I'm arranging to have a Star scan as the insecurity is just too great!
Regards
You're welcome.

Crank and cam sensors are very difficult to point to unless there is a check engine light lit on. Star is the best hope. And the symptoms never had any occurrence of the car ever stalling or shutting the ignition off while stalled. I'm not stating you are incorrect, but rather the condition so far does not dictate this sensor as of yet. But you could be right as soon as a star report is printed.

Sounds like might be an intermittent issue with a relay unit. Get the short test done and report back what's logged. Clear all faults and keep testing if it faults again re scan and see what fault code has returned.

Sounds like might be an intermittent issue with a relay unit. Get the short test done and report back what's logged. Clear all faults and keep testing if it faults again re scan and see what fault code has returned.
Relay is my initial and gut-feeling guess.

Dodgy/ corroded engine earth strap or connections?
First, thanks for all the responses.

I've attached my specific reply here only because from the start, I've wondered if I had a dodgy connection owing to the vehicle's age (19+) and mileage (260,000+) and that it has never been parked in a garage. Incidentally, the 'blown' front indicator bulb I mentioned in my original long post is not blown - faulty connection, so now works ok.

While I'm waiting for my Indy to fit me in, can anyone tell me the location of the engine earth strap? The vehicle is one of the early C220 Cdi Sports Coupe - circa March 2002.

Finally, the glow plug relay unit was replaced by Star in Reading about 3 years ago.

Tks

Can,t speak for your specific model but often from around the engine gearbox bellhousing area to nearby chassis leg/ bulkhead-----braided cable or thick black plastic cable[ they can corrode inside] but usually corrosion is at the bolted end connections- may just need a clean/tighten up .

So I got the vehicle into the Indy for the Star diagnostic this afternoon, but their diagnostic machine could not connect. What an anti-climax! I've never come across this before and I don't like the idea of booking it in to find out why their machine can't get a diagnosis as that won't solve my immediate problem. At the very least I'd first like to check out the possibility of corrosion causing a poor connection to the engine earth strap.

So if anyone can help with the location of the engine earth strap, it would be a great start.

Tks

Another possibility front sam water ingress post33

Hi.
This happens every summer with my 2004 E220cdi.
You get in, turn the key, lights come on as usual then turn to start and nothing happens.
I have read that there is a cold start system for when the outside temp is below 20degrees, and if above then a different sensor is used. I haven't worked out any more details yet.

However I have a workaround.
Get in, turn key to second position (the one with all the lights just before start), count slowly to 10, then turn to start. Nine times out of ten it works, if not then take key out, and repeat. It has never not started doing this, so while annoying, it is OK.

Hope this helps

John

Hi.
This happens every summer with my 2004 E220cdi.
You get in, turn the key, lights come on as usual then turn to start and nothing happens.
I have read that there is a cold start system for when the outside temp is below 20degrees, and if above then a different sensor is used. I haven't worked out any more details yet.

However I have a workaround.
Get in, turn key to second position (the one with all the lights just before start), count slowly to 10, then turn to start. Nine times out of ten it works, if not then take key out, and repeat. It has never not started doing this, so while annoying, it is OK.

Hope this helps

John
John, when it's 7:45pm and you're hungry having just popped out to get some provisions - everything helps :)

Re: the 2nd sensor & temp: Over the years I've used the car in a number of varying temperature scenarios in Europe -15 to 38C and it's been totally reliable. But during the past 3 years, the mileage has dropped, it's got even older and really starting to show its age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom