EQA side impact damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know that the OP situation is resolved. But fyi this is wrong in the case of claims for damage caused by third parties. You may very well make a claim VIA your insurer but your claim is actually against the third party themselves (and then for the third party to involve their insurer); it is quite simple that you should be put back in the position that you were in prior to the damage - and in the case of a relatively new car it is reasonable to INSIST (not ask) that the repair is carried out by the manufacturer's approved repairer. It is absolutely nothing to do with the terms of your own insurance policy.
If you are having trouble with the insurers (either your own or the third party) then just launch a claim for the full amount of the damages against the third party themselves and threaten legal action against them - that usually motivates the insurer to settle the claim more quickly.

Correct, the third party's insurer must provide full financial restitution, including any losses (and including any reasonable costs incurred as result of having to deal with the accident and the claim).

The issue is that when you use your own insurer in these circumstances, you are effectively appointing them as you claim management agents, and as such you are (unwittingly) empowering them to accept on your behalf a settlement offer made by the other party's insurer. Some will fight your corner, while others will simply follow the path of least resistance. This could - in some circumstances - prevent you from negotiating a better deal, which you could have done if submitting the claim with the other party's insurer and dealing with them directly. But, again, this approach will only work where the other party have accepted full liability and their client"s fault is not being disputed.

Last edited:
Correct, the third party's insurer must provide full financial restitution, including any losses (and including any reasonable costs incurred as result of having to deal with the accident and the claim).
Fixed that for you. Just to be pedantic. :)

Fair point if you want to go against the TP and their insurer.
However, as an example, in the summer, i had a TP attempt to put their Audi into a main dealer for repairs and quoted a ridiculous price

They were not mitigating their losses.

We contacted the dealer, found out who they were subbing it out to and they were also network garage for our insurer (whom they then overlaid a commission on, the main dealer that was).
Bear in mind very, very few main dealers have their own paint shop.

I agree and would myself look for full restitution regards hotel bills, hire cars (Credit hire is the new whiplash which the courts are taking a dim view on) taxis and of course all genuine personal injury.

Our insurer even, and correctly, paid out on a missed rearranged holiday flight - our van stopped them getting to the airport in another case.

As said though, relatives for the OP and as he and we probably expected with a damaged EV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom