Error after attempted scam 2005 Cls 350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mcdaymo

Car
Cls350
Hi all,
I had a group attempt to scam me on Thursday with the old ‘oil in the expansion tank’ scam , I think they have also disconnected/removed something as I now get the red visit workshop error. Would anyone have an idea what to look for? 2005 cls 350.....cheers

Could be absolutely anything , they probably unplugged one of the many connections in the engine bay or pulled a fuse / relay from one of the power distribution points either under the bonnet or from within the vehicle.

If they unplugged (then refitted) a sensor / connection while the engine was running then it would also throw up a fault.

I would try and reset the fault using a code reader and take it from there , if you dont have one then maybe your breakdown provider could visit and run a code check to point you in the direction of the issue.

Kenny

Could be absolutely anything , they probably unplugged one of the many connections in the engine bay or pulled a fuse / relay from one of the power distribution points either under the bonnet or from within the vehicle.

If they unplugged (then refitted) a sensor / connection while the engine was running then it would also throw up a fault.

I would try and reset the fault using a code reader and take it from there , if you dont have one then maybe your breakdown provider could visit and run a code check to point you in the direction of the issue.

Kenny
I have an obd2 Bluetooth reader which doesn’t pick up any codes, my more mechanically Minded cousin will be having a look later, hopefully he can sort it....

have put multimeter on the batteries...14v on the main battery when charging 12 v when not. The aux battery shows 12v on either...any ideas?

Hi all,
I had a group attempt to scam me on Thursday with the old ‘oil in the expansion tank’ scam , I think they have also disconnected/removed something as I now get the red visit workshop error. Would anyone have an idea what to look for? 2005 cls 350.....cheers
I am interested to learn more of this scam as I am not aware of this. How did they get into your car to disconnect or remove something?

I am interested to learn more of this scam as I am not aware of this. How did they get into your car to disconnect or remove something?

Simples , car is started and the seller and a couple of "buyers" are looking at and discussing the engine , one of the "buyers" asks about the size of the boot / folding down rear seats / exhausts and the seller walks round the car with one of the "buyers" to the rear to answer any questions whilst the other "buyer" now alone unplugs a sensor / connector / pulls a fuse or pours some oil into the expansion tank - next thing the car has an EML displayed or a misfiring engine which is now their main negotiating lever.

K

Simples , car is started and the seller and a couple of "buyers" are looking at and discussing the engine , one of the "buyers" asks about the size of the boot / folding down rear seats / exhausts and the seller walks round the car with one of the "buyers" to the rear to answer any questions whilst the other "buyer" now alone unplugs a sensor / connector / pulls a fuse or pours some oil into the expansion tank - next thing the car has an EML displayed or a misfiring engine which is now their main negotiating lever.

K
Interesting - I have been lucky not to have encountered this scam previously having sold most (all but one car) I owned privately.

If this took place while the seller is at the other end of the car, would there have been enough time for the buyer to pull a fuse out of the fusebox? And if they unplugged something, would there be time for them to reach far down into the engine bay?

Ultimately a scan of the car with a decent code reader should reveal the issue?

I have sold the car to trader above the trade in value I was offered by a motorhome dealer I am buying a camper from, I could not for the life of me find what they had done , I have checked every fuse and cable I could see. The trader has got a bargain and he knows it . These guys were very slick and very quick , I was weary of the scam but still got caught out....

K
This ... and their were two of us but 3 of them....I realised what was going on but was too late to stop them. They just walked off got into their car and drove off when I confronted them, I forgot to take the reg plate of their . So they got away with it....

This ... and their were two of us but 3 of them....I realised what was going on but was too late to stop them. They just walked off got into their car and drove off when I confronted them, I forgot to take the reg plate of their . So they got away with it....
That's amazing. I'm selling a car at the moment, thanks for the tip.

As well as oil in the coolant expansion tank, they may also squirt a little oil up the exhaust pipe so there will be a plume of smoke on the test drive. I'd not heard of that before, but when a couple of Romanian crooks tried it on me recently, I felt instinctively that something wasn't right and refused to sell the car until I'd had it fixed. I siphoned the little bit of oil out of the expansion tank the next morning, the smoke had cleared up, and the car was fine.

The country is falling apart, I am so sickened and saddened by the antics of people even when you try to help them

Everybody wants something for nothing these days.

kc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom