EV Fires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
EV Fires: Less Common But More Problematic?

Fires in electric vehicles (EVs) certainly gain a lot of media attention in comparison to their internal combustion engine (ICE) counterparts. But a crucial question for the future of mobility is whether EVs are actually any more likely to catch fire than an ICE vehicle. There is always a non-zero risk of Lithium-ion batteries entering thermal runaway but the key points are how likely is a fire, how problematic is an EV fire and what is being done to prevent or limit them in the future?

One of the highest-profile incidents, as we previously reported, was the recall of GM's Bolt in 2020 and 2021. The cost of which has now added up to $1.9 billion thanks to two distinct manufacturing defects in the cells provided by LG Chem. However, GM was not the only automaker with issues, we have seen large recalls from Hyundai, estimating a $900 million cost, and Ford's Kuga plug-in hybrid facing $400 million in recalls relating to fires. EV thermal management and fire safety is a topic that IDTechEx continues to research and monitor, including resources such as the report "Thermal Management for Electric Vehicles 2021-2031" which addresses several aspects around the thermal design of EVs including fire occurrence, detection, and prevention.

How Common are EV Fires and How Serious are They?

Regarding how common vehicle fires actually are, there have been several studies on the topic. Tesla released data suggesting one fire for every 205 million miles traveled which is over 10 times less common than the US national average. Tesla of course could have a bias here, but other sources are suggesting a similar result. Pinfa (Phosphorous, Inorganic and Nitrogen Flame Retardants Association) suggested around 55 fires per billion miles traveled in ICEs compared to 5 fires per billion miles traveled for EVs. A recent study conducted by AutoInsuranceEZ using data from the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) showed that electric cars in the US caught fire at a rate of 25.1 per 100,000 sales compared to 1,530 for ICE vehicles and 3,475 for hybrids.

Whilst the occurrence is lower for EVs, when an EV does catch fire, the consequences can be very problematic. The mixture of chemicals in the battery can prove extremely volatile and difficult to extinguish. Several EV fires have destroyed garages and neighboring vehicles and fire departments have had to be educated on how to deal with EVs specifically. EV fires can continue to reignite for days after initially being extinguished. It doesn't help that the occurrence of EV fires can be unpredictable, with research conducted by IDTechEx suggesting that a third of EV fires occur when the vehicle is stationary, parked, and not charging.

1643289914042.png

What Causes Vehicle Fires and What Can be Done?

So, the consensus appears to be that EVs catch fire much less often than ICE vehicles. When the types of fire-related recalls are investigated, we see that EVs are generally recalled for a battery short or manufacturing issue. If we look at hybrids and ICE vehicles these are often related to fuel leaks. You could imagine this would be a reason for the higher incident rate in hybrids where there are both combustion fuels and high voltage electronic components.

In EVs, the batteries can enter thermal runaway thanks to a number of causes, improper thermal management, manufacturing defects, overcharging or vehicle crashes. When a cell enters thermal runway, it releases volatile gases and increases in temperature significantly. Once one cell has entered thermal runaway, it can be difficult to stop that propagating to other cells. This is where material advancements and proper thermal management come into play. The thermal management system and materials are key to keeping the batteries in the optimal temperature range and thermal insulation and fire protection materials are designed to limit or prevent further propagation of a thermal event across the battery pack.

What's Changing About Battery Design and What are the Opportunities?

Given the above concerns and the potential for stricter fire and thermal runaway-related regulations, OEMs are working hard to make sure their EV battery packs are as safe as possible. This presents several material level opportunities around the cells within a battery pack. These include thermal interface materials (TIMs), thermal insulation, dielectric materials or coatings, fire-retardant materials, and many more.

A key challenge is the constantly evolving design of batteries at both a cell and pack level. Battery chemistry is evolving with higher nickel cathodes being adopted, LFP (lithium iron phosphate) batteries making a resurgence and more attention being paid to solid-state batteries. These changes have a profound impact on the requirements around thermal management and materials in EV batteries. LFP batteries are said to be safer and solid-state have often been touted as completely safe.

Outside the cell, we see OEM's transitioning towards cell-to-pack designs with announcements from Tesla, Stellantis, BYD, VW, and more. You could imagine that stacking all of the cells together into a battery pack without the separate module housings makes management of thermal runaway propagation more difficult. This fundamental change in battery pack structure leads to changes in how thermal strategies and materials are incorporated, including thermal interface materials, coolant channels, and fire protection.

Conclusion

The data so far would suggest that fires in EVs are much less common than vehicles that utilize a combustion engine and this is a good thing given IDTechEx is predicting 71% of the car market to be battery-electric or plug-in hybrid by 2041. With further progress in this market, more stringent safety regulations, and the focus from OEMs and materials suppliers, we can only expect EVs to become even safer.

IDTechEx has a huge portfolio of research in the EV industry including reports on Thermal Management for EVs and Materials for EV Battery Cells and Packs. These reports take a deep dive into the EV market and address fire-retardant and fire protection materials in addition to topics such as thermal management strategies for EV batteries, electric motors and power electronics, demand for various metals and composites, thermal runaway detection and prevention, and much more. For more information please visit www.IDTechEx.com/Research/EV.

We need to add another category of problematic EV fires to the list.

How do you isolate and extinguish a fire when you have EV's amongst 4,000 vehicles on board a ship in mid-Ocean?

Which is not to accuse an EV of having started the fire, but they may have been a factor in isolating and extinguishing a fire.

It won't be entirely rational, but it will stoke paranoia, and insurance premiums, about whether these things are a risk in enclosed showrooms as well as multi-storey garages.

What is this: a £250 million hit on the VAG bottom line?

Cargo Ship Carrying Porsches, VWs, Bentleys Headed for U.S. Catches Fire in Atlantic

screen-shot-2022-02-17-at-12-49-18-pm-1645120177.png

Oil tankers or rigs on the other hand never go on fire or end up polluting vast areas of coastline and marine habitats??
I don't mind folks drawing attention to the legitimate hazards associated with EV vehicles but the transportation and extraction of all forms of high concentration of energy sources is fraught with hazards. A sense of perspective is necessary when considering this in the round and and only focusing on EV vehicles might otherwise be considered prejudicial? :dk:
The BP 2010 Deepwater Horizon spill in the Gulf of Mexico cost 65 billion. :oops:

Oil tankers or rigs on the other hand never go on fire or end up polluting vast areas of coastline and marine habitats??
I don't mind folks drawing attention to the legitimate hazards associated with EV vehicles but the transportation and extraction of all forms of high concentration of energy sources is fraught with hazards. A sense of perspective is necessary when considering this in the round and and only focusing on EV vehicles might otherwise be considered prejudicial? :dk:
The BP 2010 Deepwater Horizon spill in the Gulf of Mexico cost 65 billion. :oops:

Understood. My point was that it's a new risk that needs to managed and mitigated. The old ways of transporting and storing cars in close proximity might need some new fire control protocols.

EV's are an insignificant part of the landscape at the moment. As they get more numerous, and older, we'll need to think through how we manage fire safety, whether it's on a transporter, in the garage under your home, under your office, or at the Mall.

one would assume they are insured, no?
Agreed, not direct, but indirectly.

Apart from the inevitable premium increases going forward, any Marine Cargo policy won't have covered lost profit at the dealerships in 2022, nor the reputational damage of failing to deliver those orders.

You could argue that the cost will end up being far more than the value of these vehicles and the ship.

Agreed, not direct, but indirectly.

Apart from the inevitable premium increases going forward, any Marine Cargo policy won't have covered lost profit at the dealerships in 2022, nor the reputational damage of failing to deliver those orders.

You could argue that the cost will end up being far more than the value of these vehicles and the ship.
Do they own the ship? If not then surely vw aren't claiming on an insurance the shipping company are so no premium increase for them, although probably increased shipping costs for all. As for profit lost that would be part of the contract between vw and the shipping company, most shipping company insurance policies cover profit lost for the shipped goods.
Damage to vw reputation for a fire at sea on a third party ship? Maybe, don't think if I was someone waiting for a vw I would hold them responsible but maybe others would.

It's a new risk indeed.

And airlines just about worked out how to deal with mobile phones' and laptops' batteries catching fire mid-flight.

Will they fly EVs in cargo planes? Difficult to know.

Last edited:
Will they fly EVs in cargo planes? Difficult to know.
I would doubt it. The number able to be carried would be low and the individual transport costs relatively high?

I would doubt it. The number able to be carried would be low and the individual transport costs relatively high?

I wasn't referring to commercial importation, but to the principle. People do get cars shipped by air from time to time, for various reasons.

Which reminds me of an interesting story. Back in 1991 I assisted a friend with collecting a new 190 from Sindelfingen, driving it down to Köln. (Cologne), then putting it on a plane to be shipped out. We were told not to have too much petrol when we hand-over the car in Köln, because the fuel tank will be drained anyway before the car is loaded on the plane.

I was a bit concerned how the car will be driven away if it arrives with an empty tank? I needn't have worried, because the car rolled-off the plane with exactly the same amount of fuel in the tank as when it was loaded in Köln. Go figure.

Do they own the ship? If not then surely vw aren't claiming on an insurance the shipping company are so no premium increase for them, although probably increased shipping costs for all. As for profit lost that would be part of the contract between vw and the shipping company, most shipping company insurance policies cover profit lost for the shipped goods.
Damage to vw reputation for a fire at sea on a third party ship? Maybe, don't think if I was someone waiting for a vw I would hold them responsible but maybe others would.
Understood. My point was that it's a new risk that needs to managed and mitigated. The old ways of transporting and storing cars in close proximity might need some new fire control protocols. EV's are an insignificant part of the landscape at the moment. As they get more numerous, and older, we'll need to think through how we manage fire safety, whether it's on a transporter, in the garage under your home, under your office, or at the Mall.

When you write off a Bentley through fire, you replace that unit and that's another sale lost. It's easy to say that losing one's home in a fire isn't significant because of the insurance, but the reality is that it's a heap of administration, faffing about, and a lot of smaller expense which can't be reclaimed. More broadly, having had one significant loss, it raises the ante in terms of loss prevention and risk for the future. "If" this fire was less controllable because of EV batteries, it will raise the cost of intercontinental shipping and shift the economics of global manufacturing hubs.

This fire wasn’t started by an EV, and I think it’s safe to say there weren’t many EVs in there.

#justsayin

This fire wasn’t started by an EV, and I think it’s safe to say there weren’t many EVs in there.
#justsayin
Yes, as I said "How do you isolate and extinguish a fire when you have EV's amongst 4,000 vehicles on board a ship in mid-Ocean?
Which is not to accuse an EV of having started the fire, but they may have been a factor in isolating and extinguishing a fire. It won't be entirely rational, but it will stoke paranoia, and insurance premiums, about whether these things are a risk in enclosed showrooms as well as multi-storey garages."

Agreed that typically only 10% of the vehicles on a new vehicle transporter will be BEV's, but as they rise to 100% over the next decade, managing fire risk changes when you look at keeping them in enclosed areas throughout the distribution chain and into general storage in use.

Taking the Liverpool Arena fire as an example, no more than 2% will have been EV's. In a decade's time more than half of those vehicles will be proper BEV's.

EV's are coming, the issue now is how to manage their infrastructure.

Last edited:
EV's are coming, the issue now is how to manage their infrastructure.
Fire represents an unusual risk in that it is - as a good friend of mine who was a senior officer in the London Fire Service says - unpredictable.

Much of the fire control measures we have in place, be they on land, sea, or air, have been developed over time based on experience of things that went wrong. Large concentrations of high-power battery packs in close proximity are still a relatively new situation and however we think we will first prevent, then contain and finally extinguish a fire in that situation will be sub-optimal for some time.

Unfortunately, we have a big learning curve to go through, and there will be further large-scale losses before we truly understand how best to prevent them, and to contain them if they do happen.

Unfortunately, we have a big learning curve to go through, and there will be further large-scale losses before we truly understand how best to prevent them, and to contain them if they do happen.

This may be another one on the learning curve. None of the reports I've seen have yet said it was a battery fire but 7 hybrid buses went up and the fire looked violent enough that even if the batteries were not the initial cause of the fire they will still have been a big factor once the fire took hold.

Potters Bar: Buses catch fire at town centre transport depot

It occurs to me that if I ever get an EV it will be parked in my integral garage and should there be a battery fire the house will almost certainly be lost. To make sure I'm not in it at the time I will want to install some linked fire detection in the garage.

What do current EV owners do to offset the risk of a battery fire

It occurs to me that if I ever get an EV it will be parked in my integral garage and should there be a battery fire the house will almost certainly be lost. To make sure I'm not in it at the time I will want to install some linked fire detection in the garage.
We've got a dozen EV's and PHEV's in my little enclave (200 homes) and their chargers, where they have them, are wall-mounted on the driveway, with no-one seeming to have put the charger in the garage. It can't be a coincidence.

As for fire detection, it'll only help you to get out, like any normal domestic system. No domestic, let alone commercial, system will cope without the assistance of the Fire service.

Our charger is on the side of the house - largely because we don’t garage either of the EVs (the garage is taken up with the usual junk plus my 51 yr old MGB roadster). A friend of mine has his EV charger in the garage but charges on the drive - largely because he thinks the charger is ugly. Apparently only about one in five people who have a garage put the car in it anyway. Having said that, if we did have an EV fire then we would absolutely get some damage to the house as well.

A quick internet search didn’t give me recent data but did show reports from about four years ago which indicated that the incidence of car fires was significantly higher for ICE compared to battery, and an ICE fire on my drive would cause equivalent damage - but the issue is then the difficulty of managing the battery fire.

Edit - KH’s OP gives way more detail on the incidence point…

Last edited:
...which indicated that the incidence of car fires was significantly higher for ICE compared to battery, and an ICE fire on my drive would cause equivalent damage - but the issue is then the difficulty of managing the battery fire.
Research does indeed show that incidence of ICE car fires is higher than for EV's (although I'm not sure if any of the published information takes into account the relative age of the cars that did catch fire, as this would be relevant for a number of reasons), but the consequence of an EV fire starting is currently harder to deal with.

The "harder to deal with" problem falls broadly into two factors: 1) Managing the fire while it's in progress; 2) The potential for EV fires to reignite for long periods after they have been first extinguished. The first will slowly improve as knowledge of how best to control and extinguish the fire increases. I'm not sure about the second, but it's a significant issue in terms of keeping the surroundings safe from ignition after the initial event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom