• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

EV ship on fire . An Australian comments

A lot of scaremongering out there by those who seem to be clutching at straws
Agreed, to an extent, but...
yes the fires need to be dealt with in a different way, but I am sure as they become more popular fire fighting methods will be adapted to suit
Unless and until that happens - including effective management of the potential for reignition even days after the initial event was apparently extinguished - the consequences of li-ion fires are often more significant than those from other fuel sources. The classic difference between risk (as portrayed by the Swedish stats) and hazard (not quoted) that often gets ignored, and not just in discussion about EV fires.

Those sort of Li-ion batteries will soon be a thing of the past anyway....maybe!

I imagine that when the first motorcars were e introduced, there were those who said that horses are far safer, and that sitting 5 people on top of a 10 gallon tank of highly-volatile flammable substance is sheer lunacy, and 'will never catch on'.

I imagine that when the first motorcars were e introduced, there were those who said that horses are far safer, and that sitting 5 people on top of a 10 gallon tank of highly-volatile flammable substance is sheer lunacy, and 'will never catch on'.
That world had a very different view of what constitutes acceptable risk than the one we live in today.

The multi-story car park fire in Liverpool a few years ago shows what can happen when a car goes on fire in proximity to others. A fairly conventional installed fire suppression system would have gone a long way towards managing down the consequences and risk rating. Risk management includes consequences.

A similar scenario with a car park full of EVs presents a much greater challenge to manage down the fire and resulting consequences.

EV batteries have all the chemistry needed for combustion contained within and are very difficult to deal with when they go on fire.

That world had a very different view of what constitutes acceptable risk than the one we live in today.

The multi-story car park fire in Liverpool a few years ago shows what can happen when a car goes on fire in proximity to others. A fairly conventional installed fire suppression system would have gone a long way towards managing down the consequences and risk rating. Risk management includes consequences.

A similar scenario with a car park full of EVs presents a much greater challenge to manage down the fire and resulting consequences.

EV batteries have all the chemistry needed for combustion contained within and are very difficult to deal with when they go on fire.

Talking of energy from non-fossil sources... one such source is fusion using hot plasma, heated to 150,000,000°C, too hot to be contained by any substance known to mankind and so it is planned to be suspended via strong magnets. Suddenly the risk from EV batteries does seem so grave any more..... :D

Talking of energy from non-fossil sources... one such source is fusion using hot plasma, heated to 150,000,000°C, too hot to be contained by any substance known to mankind and so it is planned to be suspended via strong magnets. Suddenly the risk from EV batteries does seem so grave any more..... :D
Yes, the old ‘star in a jar’ conundrum.

Still quite some way off methinks and already about 60-years in development. My guess is that it’ll be into 100-years of development before anything meaningful in terms of energy generation comes out of it.

I can't believe that's true, if it was they would have taken measures like having a man with a red flag walking in front of the car to warn of it's approach?

It was to illustrate a point. I suspect that you're right and they weren't too concerned about safety in those days. Just have a look on Google at the mortality rate among children employed as chimney sweeps - but you got to have those chimneys cleaned....

It was to illustrate a point. I suspect that you're right and they weren't too concerned about safety in those days. Just have a look on Google at the mortality rate among children employed as chimney sweeps - but you got to have those chimneys cleaned....
I think that went over your head?

I can't believe that's true, if it was they would have taken measures like having a man with a red flag walking in front of the car to warn of it's approach?
That's returning, how else would you be warned of the potholes.

The Aussie is back for another go....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone else notice the truck start to reverse in the final split second?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom