EVC question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzer

Car
Disco and E250 Cab
Now its stupid question time. A friend of mine has an MR2 or merde as they say en France. Anyway, it has just come back from having a new engine and having his turbos reconditioned as he blew it all up about a month ago - in his words it let go F1 style :(

Anyway, the turbos are now screeching, whistling and rattling when he accelerates, so there may already be a problem, he is going back to the guy who rebuilt the engine about this - but any ideas ?

Back to the real question at hand. My cars have always been fairly stock, no turbo timers, no valve controllers or anything like that. His car has an HKS Electronic Valve Controller fitted and it is constantly beeping, burping and f4rting at him and naturally, he is getting a little worried that someone has played with this in the past and set it to the "cook engine" setting :eek:

Can anyone tell me what this EVC does, what settings they should be at and how to change the setting for him - if anyone knows where I can get a manual that would be great ?

Cheers

S

Already did, but they are not very helpful - thought I would try on this one as this forum is very responsive.

Mozzer said:
thought I would try on this one as this forum is very responsive.
Heh, that's because MBClub is frequented by people that are bored, insomniacs, shift workers, unemployed, college students, retired people and in some cases all of those things ;)

I will ask my mate as his MR2 kicks out 380bhp and he knows a thing or two about them, trouble is I think he's on holiday.

Marcos

Thanks a lot - in the meantime I will tell my mate not to boot it too much - pretty sure he is driving like he has Miss Daisy in the passenger seat anyway :D

The whistling sound is due to the tyrbos not being ballanced, so whistle due to vibration.

The valve controller operates the wastegate thus controlling the boost. It's possible that the boost is overboosting so building a high pressure, which will wear the turbos more and maybe overload the engine.
This could be why the engine went pop before.

Have the boost pressure checked ansd set to a reasonable maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom