• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Exhaust tip coating (interior)

minyak

Hi ppl,

I'm just wondering if you guys know if one were to foolishly (like i did) use an abrasive paper (or sandpaper) and rubbed it against the interior walls of the exhaust pipe tips, would it affect the emissions. I've noticed lately a strange smoke (whitish/grey/black) being emitted once the engine/exhaust units have warmed up whilst stationary (idle). But the amount of smoke varies and is not consistent. Also, this morning I noticed on my driveway (after overnight), unusual spots (watery) of black (carbon) and greenish in colour. These watery droplets are exactly where the tailpipes are and some of it are still clinging on the inner tailpipe edge. Never seen this before! Could it be that my idiotic endeavour of trying to sandpaper the interior pipe walls have caused some in-pipe coatings to degrade. Is there some protective coatings that I've messed around with here?????? The car has recently been serviced and no computer malfunctions are recorded. Dieselman...and other gurus...any clues??
Cheers.

I think the smoke you are seeing could be nothing more than water vapour on cold days. The watery stuff could also be water as they do pump out quite a bit of the stuff.

I would be very suprised if you have damaged anything.

Sounds just like water vapour which will be more noticable on start up especially on cold days and should disappear after a good run and the engine has really warmed up. If it doesn't, you may have other problems such as possible coolant leak from the water jacket being passed out via the exhaust.
The tail pipe outlets usually collects quite a bit of soot in a diesel, I just get a bit of rag soaked in white spirit and wipe them out but it doesn't really provide any benefit in doing this, it just looks cleaner

minyak said:
Hi ppl,

I'm just wondering if you guys know if one were to foolishly (like i did) use an abrasive paper (or sandpaper) and rubbed it against the interior walls of the exhaust pipe tips, would it affect the emissions. I've noticed lately a strange smoke (whitish/grey/black) being emitted once the engine/exhaust units have warmed up whilst stationary (idle). But the amount of smoke varies and is not consistent. Also, this morning I noticed on my driveway (after overnight), unusual spots (watery) of black (carbon) and greenish in colour. These watery droplets are exactly where the tailpipes are and some of it are still clinging on the inner tailpipe edge. Never seen this before! Could it be that my idiotic endeavour of trying to sandpaper the interior pipe walls have caused some in-pipe coatings to degrade. Is there some protective coatings that I've messed around with here?????? The car has recently been serviced and no computer malfunctions are recorded. Dieselman...and other gurus...any clues??
Cheers.

Umm No... evrything is as it should be... normal

But you will have to add Indicator Fluid and Grease your muffler bearings.
Sorry for the bad news :bannana:

Bazzle

Assuming the water vapour to be only when the engine is cold and not excesive amounts then everything is Ok. If there are real clouds then your head gasket is on the way out.

Probably nothing to worry about.

Whilst still on the subject of exhaust emissions, I was wondering if their is an in-built device within the car that monitors the levels of emission its spewing out? Also, does the diesel car tend to give out more smoke if the ambient air temperature gets hot and humid, for example during really warm summer days? Possibly due to warmer air not being as efficient in combustion, hence more unburnt particles/soot are let out and when would I know if the catalytic converter has gone bust??? Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom