Explosive Heat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
Around 2pm this afternoon i heard my car alarm going off, so i looked out of the window. Nobody around so i thought it was probably just the heat affecting the sensors in the car and thought nothing more of it.

Around 6pm after it had cooled down a bit i decided to give the car a hoover out and treat the leather. Upon opening the car i encountered this scene of devastation!
:eek:
explodedcan003.jpg

explodedcan002.jpg

explodedcan008.jpg

explodedcan006.jpg

explodedcan007.jpg

A can of coke which i had left in the centre console had exploded in the intense heat which had built up in the car :doh:
explodedcan001.jpg

Which explains why the alarm had been set off!

The entire inside of the car covered in the nasty sticky stuff and it had baked on in the heat :wallbash:

So instead of a nice easy evening of hoovering and treating the leather, i have spent at least 3 hours or so cleaning the stuff from every part of the inside of the car! The roof lining, the seats, the windows, carpets, hell, bloody everywhere :D

God i'm knackered :lol:

could have been worse, a friend of mine spilt 2 litres of milk in their car, he ended up selling it....

2 ltrs of milk.. Ha.

try this.

In 1998 i bought a brand new renault megane sports coupe...

all well and good.

went over to BnQ, bought a 5 ltr tub of fench paint.. was this nasty looking orange colour when wet, and a medium oak when dry...

Anyway...i bought it and put in the passenger footwell in the front of the car.

I came onto a roundabout...and had to break abruptly.. in doing so, the casing to the paint tub changed shaped, as i saw in the corner of my eye, and the lid popped of... and the orange paint exploded all over the dash...

anyways, i dumped the paint tub on the road side, rushed home, hosed down the interior and and washed and scrubbed..

on the surface it was fine, but as u lowered ur head the dash was now a permanent orange...

anyways,, the water didnt help, and i sold the car in 1999..

the End!

Around 2pm this afternoon i heard my car alarm going off, so i looked out of the window. Nobody around so i thought it was probably just the heat affecting the sensors in the car and thought nothing more of it.

Around 6pm after it had cooled down a bit i decided to give the car a hoover out and treat the leather. Upon opening the car i encountered this scene of devastation!
:eek:

A can of coke which i had left in the centre console had exploded in the intense heat which had built up in the car :doh:
explodedcan001.jpg

Which explains why the alarm had been set off!

The entire inside of the car covered in the nasty sticky stuff and it had baked on in the heat :wallbash:

So instead of a nice easy evening of hoovering and treating the leather, i have spent at least 3 hours or so cleaning the stuff from every part of the inside of the car! The roof lining, the seats, the windows, carpets, hell, bloody everywhere :D

God i'm knackered :lol:

Sounds like you're ready for a refreshing can of Coke then Stu ? :D

speaking as a type 1 diabetic this is another reason to not drink leaded coke..... you boys should stick to unleaded...

stwat i bed you had a great seance of achievement afterwards tho

I guess everything is bad for you in one way or another ..... the Aspartamine ( I may have the name slightly wrong ) that is in Diet drinks caused a scare some years ago for causing brain damage or something - it was enough to put me off drinking them .

There was a girl in a place I used to work who suffered from some form of Diabetes - whenever she felt ' a turn ' coming on , she used to ask for a can of full-sugar Coke or similar . In the end I always kept one in the cupboard for her . Worst time was after she fell pregnant and passed out , we couldn't revive her , had to get an ambulance - thankfully she was OK later .

speaking as a type 1 diabetic this is another reason to not drink leaded coke..... you boys should stick to unleaded...

stwat i bed you had a great seance of achievement afterwards tho

Im a type one diabetic too and until now had always had a can of full fat coke in the car in case i had a hypo!!

I'l just stick to having a pack of glucose tablets now i think:D

And yes mate, the car is cleaner inside than it ever has been. Looks like new now. But i now need to buy some more Auto Glym products as it took a lot of leather cleaner to get all the sticky crap off the seats, dash and doorcards etc! And just as much AG leather cream for the seats and plastics. Thats right folks, AG leather cream is brilliant on dashboards and plastics. Brings it up like new and doesn't have silicon in it, so no mirror glass shiny finish.

Last edited:
Im a type one diabetic too and until now had always had a can of full fat coke in the car in case i had a hypo!!

I'l just stick to having a pack of glucose tablets now i think:D

And yes mate, the car is cleaner inside than it ever has been. Looks like new now. But i now need to buy some more Auto Glym products as it took a lot of leather cleaner to get all the sticky crap off the seats, dash and doorcards etc! And just as much AG leather cream for the seats and plastics. Thats right folks, AG leather cream is brilliant on dashboards and plastics. Brings it up like new and doesn't have silicon in it, so no mirror glass shiny finish.

oh cool are you on lantus and nova rapid. been on it since i was like 13 or so. been diabetic type 1 or 10 years nearly :eek: sometimes i hate it sometimes it doesn't bother me.. 1+ for hypo protection in the car usually have a snickers or sometihng under the center armrest lol :thumb:

When I used to work in a copper tube factory, we used to acid-pickle the tubes in an acid bosh.
They came out all bright and sparkling.
Leaving a copper coin in a glass of coke overnight had very much the same effect.

Driving a hatchback with four 20 litre drums of automatic transmission fluid in the boot I T-boned an Audi at 60mph. When the car came to rest down a 6 foot embankment I was trying to asses my injuries when I noticed this dark red fluid dripping from the inside of the windscreen...

Explosive cold

I can tell you - from experience - that these things go 'pop' in cold conditions too.

I used to like a very cold (diet) Coke at work many years ago, and would always put a can in the ice box of the fridge in the tea point and leave it for a while to 'go that extra mile' in the cold stakes. That is until I forgot about it. :doh:

A co-worker came to me to say that I should go and see the fridge. What a mess! Very similar to your pictures, and the whole inside of the fridge was affected, plus the frozen coke explosion in the icebox which all had to be chipped out. The only saving grace was that it was a much smaller space I had to clean up! :eek:

Something similar happened to me when I had the Renault 5 GT turbo. I always had a lighter in the flap compartment on top of the dash. While on holiday in greece I parked the car under direct sunlight (forgot the sun visor) and upon returning the flap was open all the way, above the usual stopping point and the car full of shrapnel from an exploded lighter.

I can tell you - from experience - that these things go 'pop' in cold conditions too.

I used to like a very cold (diet) Coke at work many years ago, and would always put a can in the ice box of the fridge in the tea point and leave it for a while to 'go that extra mile' in the cold stakes. That is until I forgot about it. :doh:

A co-worker came to me to say that I should go and see the fridge. What a mess! Very similar to your pictures, and the whole inside of the fridge was affected, plus the frozen coke explosion in the icebox which all had to be chipped out. The only saving grace was that it was a much smaller space I had to clean up! :eek:

That's because you froze the liquid contents and thus drove ALL the CO2 gas out of solution, thus massively over pressurising the can.

Do it with a glass bottle, eg champers, and it gets very dangerous indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom