F1 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
*Edited out*

Last edited:
Well on the qualifying times it brings home to lots of teams that they do not have the car or engine to compete with Mercedes ,this French track has exposed them,4th on the grid is over a second slower and third .650 behind LH,great for Mercedes but a disaster for F1

Well on the qualifying times it brings home to lots of teams that they do not have the car or engine to compete with Mercedes ,this French track has exposed them,4th on the grid is over a second slower and third .650 behind LH,great for Mercedes but a disaster for F1

Lots of interesting comments above...too may to like/reply...I do however wonder why it should be bad for F! for Merc to have current domination. It is up to the others to catch up...that's part of the game isn't it? I mean, at one time Ferrari were doing similar, Williams. McLaren have all dominated at times.

We should be revelling in watching one of the top drivers of all time, in a superb machine...I contend the greatest driver now....What if his car was competitive while RB were ruling the roost...they did 4 in row,,,were people complaining then,,,yes,,some ok, but all takes is one team to find an edge and Merc could be back to 2/3 row in a heartbeat.

As someone said above, part of the joy (sadly not captured by TV - Why not more low down shots esp head on into corners and as accelerating out to show sheer braking/accel perfromance of these things..They are truly incredible...

And finally, for now V has not just messed up again. As said before he is busted flush/flat track bully. Good on day when wind with him, but nowhere near Lewis. Time to get out Seb! While some of previous gloss still on you.

He came back on the track from being on grass at about 100mph & had about 15 yards & maybe 2 seconds to collect the car & avoid the wall. He said he saw Hamilton but had no where to go.
It was a racing incident & regardless of speculation about what would have happened if the roles were reversed, if it had been any two other drivers or what have you I think the stewards should have had the common sense to say that. SV gained nothing by the manoeuvre & LH lost nothing. They came out of the incident in the same track positions they went into it.

Frankly that is complete tosh! Of course Vettel gained! He stayed in the lead after blocking Hamilton passing (whether or not delib!) , after he made a howler. Of course Hamilton lost out. He forced an error, which in many circumstances would have given him the lead and a comfy win.

Let's remember, the proximate cause was the Vettel error. F1 is supposed to be a test of drivers and cars...Vettel/Ferrari failed that test! It was Hamiltons win any way you cut it. I ask again, in what other sport is a mistake rewarded? And why should they be? If we want better racing that requires the spending limits of some sort and regs that balance out more...maybe they could intro like American Football...the worst teams draft the best new drivers? Sure lots of ways...but whatever do do not make bad drivers win! That ends the sport quicker I reckon. We want the best to win don't we?

Another mistake from Vettel. Only a little one but with big consequences (C&P from BBC F1)

Ferrari had hoped that they might be able to get Vettel ahead of Verstappen by running him long, once the German had moved up to fifth place past the McLarens from his seventh place start.

But a plan to run long and attack Verstappen on fresher tyres at the end of the race was scuppered when Vettel locked a front tyre into Turn One just three or four laps after agreeing the strategy with his engineers.

He immediately got on the radio to say they needed to pit because the tyre was too badly damaged to continue with the plan.

That meant Vettel had tyres that were only five laps fresher than Verstappen, who was easily able to hold the Ferrari off - in fact Vettel slowly dropped back, rather than gaining on the Red Bull.

From a spectator point of view, that was like watching paint dry.
Hopefully more action at the A Ring.

My observation is that when you see a well led successful operation that you look at second tier of management as well and what they inherited.

Mr Wolff hit the ground running with a team that was well backed and on the up. So I think the jury is out just on that career technicality. Ross Brawn by comparison was involved as part of that second tier at Ferrari and was part of their rise - and he struck again with getting the title with his namesake ex Honda team. Bruce McLaren and Enzo Ferrari and Colin Chapman created something where there was nothing.

Fair point...still think that to juggle demands of team running for an extended period ultimately successfully, along with a certain charm and humour (at least in public - I have no doubt he is pretty direct in private), along with having a very smart and gorgeous gal (woman!) - yes, I am jealous! :) And of the cars he gets to drive too!

So maybe not there yet, but what, one more champ elevate based on longevity and the even more stressful demands than some of those guys faced in more privateering days, through all the pitstops and pitfalls...would that qualify? Remember e.g. he managed Ham and Ros and much more, and helped Ham to come back from that better and stronger, and I think upped Hams game seeing the sheer tenacity that Ros had to put in to beat him by a whisker and the probs Ham had that year with reliability...so yes, pretty damn good I maintain.

From a spectator point of view, that was like watching paint dry.
Hopefully more action at the A Ring.

As a poor chess player and ex poor player and admirer of cricket (tests), and other great sports...and never a race driver, I can only comment from how I see this great sport..It was not like watching paint dry at all...I twas deeply fascinating for following reasons:

1. Would anyones car blow up - the technical margins are so fine at this level and it is incredible these things run, the sheer stresses they are under. I love to just watch them knowing this.
2. We are watching one of the greatest drivers of all time, if not the greatest control a brilliant machine to within an inch of its life and sometimes millimetres (aas above better tv coverage would help!!! Sky no better really hence will not pay except maybe Silverstone, or go if can!!!
3. The cat and mouse...would Ham catch up to Vettel...would Vettel fcuk it up again...what would happen behind...which cars and drivers on up/which on down.
4. What's going on behind scenes technically/drivers/team leaderships.
5. I don't watch to see bad accidents and luckily the sport is remarkably safe now compared to days of old, but who might kiss/hug a wall/barrier and when (I hate Safety Car bunch up -so artificial and unfair if a team/driver has built a lead fair and square.
6. I adore the history.
7. I love to see how the best do it in the best. I know I never could or ever will, but I am a schoolboy at heart and I still dream. I would give a lot to drive one of those just for a few laps. Even not a current one...almost anyone, but esp a current one.
8. It is so complex I cannot grasp every aspect by any means and that fascinated me in even trying.

So, what's not to like...yes, could be many improvements and I would do differently but I am not in charge...so although I do shout from the sidelines, I still admire thoroughly at all times even if we could see more overtaking for sure

As a poor chess player and ex poor player and admirer of cricket (tests), and other great sports...and never a race driver, I can only comment from how I see this great sport..It was not like watching paint dry at all...I twas deeply fascinating for following reasons:

1. Would anyones car blow up - the technical margins are so fine at this level and it is incredible these things run, the sheer stresses they are under. I love to just watch them knowing this.
2. We are watching one of the greatest drivers of all time, if not the greatest control a brilliant machine to within an inch of its life and sometimes millimetres (aas above better tv coverage would help!!! Sky no better really hence will not pay except maybe Silverstone, or go if can!!!
3. The cat and mouse...would Ham catch up to Vettel...would Vettel fcuk it up again...what would happen behind...which cars and drivers on up/which on down.
4. What's going on behind scenes technically/drivers/team leaderships.
5. I don't watch to see bad accidents and luckily the sport is remarkably safe now compared to days of old, but who might kiss/hug a wall/barrier and when (I hate Safety Car bunch up -so artificial and unfair if a team/driver has built a lead fair and square.
6. I adore the history.
7. I love to see how the best do it in the best. I know I never could or ever will, but I am a schoolboy at heart and I still dream. I would give a lot to drive one of those just for a few laps. Even not a current one...almost anyone, but esp a current one.
8. It is so complex I cannot grasp every aspect by any means and that fascinated me in even trying.

So, what's not to like...yes, could be many improvements and I would do differently but I am not in charge...so although I do shout from the sidelines, I still admire thoroughly at all times even if we could see more overtaking for sure

I tune in to hopefully watch close wheel to wheel racing at incredible speeds. I must have blinked and missed most of that today although I still admire the skills all these drivers have. The technical side of F1 is incredible, but doesn't guarantee a good race. Today was such a day for me.
Sorry to say the three classes of MotoGP leave F1 way behind when it comes to excitement. But thats for another thread:D

Such a shame for Norris after a great weekend for the team. Last lap incident is still being reviewed though so results could change.

Mrbottomend is spot on. Before cricket sold its soul to mammon, I used to love watching test matches on the Beeb, particularly a good spinner bowling to a good batsman. Not everybody's cup of tea, but the ebb and flow of dominance, the "is he lulling him into a false sense of security", how thwe spinner buys the wicket fascinated me.

One question hasn't been answered as far as I'm aware, namely how can one car/driver combination be so dominant where the cars are built to very prescriptive regulations, and the drivers are allegedly la crème de la crème?

@Mactech will be able to answer better but essentially it's how the teams interpret the regulations and how you find clever ways around them. For example, MB's suspension which drops the front end when turning in, the double diffuser on the Brawn 2009 car etc.

As for the drivers, they are all pretty good. Bottas was down the field until he joined Mercedes, then he began to win races and even beat Lewis on pace over one lap at times. However, Lewis overall is a better driver and seems to get more out of the car regularly compared to Bottas. Alonso also out performed the car in his last season for McLaren.

The problems with F1 may be summed up thus:
Your tyres will not last unless you drive slowly.
Your fuel will not last unless you drive slowly.
You will be punished if your gearbox gets broken.
You will be punished if your engine blows up.
Your engine must last for six race weekends.
Your car is aerodynamically difficult to drive near another like it.
All the other cars are made to almost identical specifications.

Any possibility of this resulting in watchable Motor Racing is a complete delusion. It simply can not.
In my youth there was an extremely cunning and wily character who would every five years redefine the rules in such a way as to build the most outlandishly different Grand Prix cars which invariably required the rest of the field to spend the next three years working out what he had done in order to catch up with them.
This is what F1 needs now.
Single element front and rear wing, normally aspirated engines of about 500 BHP without KERS, a maximum width and a minimum weight.
No more Formula One cars, but Grand Prix cars.
'Cos what we have now is not Motor Racing. It is a formula.

^ There is no single reason why MB are dominant right now, it's the combination of everything that goes into making a competitive F1 car together with solid decisions on the pitwall and a driver (or two) that are putting it together behind the wheel.

Great driving from Lando this weekend. He is showing real pace in the improving McLaren.

Hmm...
The pass on Lando, yes cut the chicane and gained advantage. So penalty.
The pass on Kimi, down the straight, Kimi blocked him and he drove around him. Didn't really gain in distance, but did go over the white line. Not a penalty for me.

The problems with F1 may be summed up thus:
Your tyres will not last unless you drive slowly.
Your fuel will not last unless you drive slowly.
You will be punished if your gearbox gets broken.
You will be punished if your engine blows up.
Your engine must last for six race weekends.
Your car is aerodynamically difficult to drive near another like it.
All the other cars are made to almost identical specifications.

Any possibility of this resulting in watchable Motor Racing is a complete delusion. It simply can not.
In my youth there was an extremely cunning and wily character who would every five years redefine the rules in such a way as to build the most outlandishly different Grand Prix cars which invariably required the rest of the field to spend the next three years working out what he had done in order to catch up with them.
This is what F1 needs now.
Single element front and rear wing, normally aspirated engines of about 500 BHP without KERS, a maximum width and a minimum weight.
No more Formula One cars, but Grand Prix cars.
'Cos what we have now is not Motor Racing. It is a formula.

It is refreshing to find that the woes of F1 can be so simply defined and seemingly corrected at a single stroke:)
Would you like Ross Brawn's email address so you can tell him how to do it?

The pass on Kimi, down the straight, Kimi blocked him and he drove around him. Didn't really gain in distance, but did go over the white line. Not a penalty for me.

All 4 wheels off the track going down the straight has to be a penalty doesn't it? Especially when in full control of your car.

All 4 wheels off the track going down the straight has to be a penalty doesn't it? Especially when in full control of your car.
Yeah, I guess... Same as when Maverick shoots down Jester...

He certainly should be reminded.
I speak as a consumer. Nobody owns a customer. If they stop liking the product they will go elsewhere.

Formula One is an engineering exercise and not a driver's racing event now. Unfortunately this what you get with multiple full manufacturer teams taking part driving budgets and regulations.

They don't want unpredictability of having a more difficult to drive car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom