F1 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems as if that certain driver has a 20 second penalty. Doesn’t help his ‘victim’ tho’…

Ah, so you'll be playing the "Hunt The Racing" game then.
I record the C4 programme only so I can fast forward the 40 minutes of poncing up and down the pit lane that occurs before you see a car turn a wheel.
When I work out how to record that is what I will do.Wont have to listen to that prat Jones then.

Not sure what he did?
Over the last few laps, Alonso was quicker through the section through Turns 6, 7 and into 8 than George, but George was able to reel him in under the double DRS section out of Turn 8 and after 9 and 10, but couldn’t quite the pass done into Turn 11.

On the last lap, Alonso essentially brake tested* George in the run to Turn 8 in order to spoil his momentum coming out of the turn and into the DRS zone. George was caught completely off-guard nearly ran into the back of Alonso’s car, locked up due to dramatic loss of downforce and understeered into the gravel, then nosed the barrier before the car ate its own wheels and came to rest in its side in the middle of the circuit.

The stewards' report said Alonso lifted off the accelerator just over 100m earlier than he ever had before into that corner during the race.

The stewards said: "He also braked very slightly at a point that he did not usually brake (although the amount of brake was so slight that it was not the main reason for his car slowing) and he downshifted at a point he never usually downshifted.

"He then upshifted again, and accelerated to the corner before lifting again to make the corner. Alonso explained that while his plan was to slow earlier, he got it slightly wrong and had to take extra steps to get back up to speed.

"Nonetheless, this manoeuvre created a considerable and unusual closing speed between the cars."

The move was effectively what is known in F1 as a "brake test" and is considered an unacceptable form of racing by most drivers.

Reactions: JHS
I does seem that many past champions have resorted to actions on the circuit that have been on the very edge of legal or 'fair' when pushed.
Piquet and Schumacher and Verstappen were certainly convicted of similar offences, Alonso has some 'previous'.
Hamilton's worst conviction is for being in charge of offensive clothing in the paddock......

I does seem that many past champions have resorted to actions on the circuit that have been on the very edge of legal or 'fair' when pushed.
Piquet and Schumacher and Verstappen were certainly convicted of similar offences, Alonso has some 'previous'.
Hamilton's worst conviction is for being in charge of offensive clothing in the paddock......
Thing is, Alonso knew that George would be giving it absolutely full beans through there on the last lap so as to have enough momentum to get the job done under DRS into Turn 9 or Turn 11. Alonso said he was focusing on his own pace and not trying to spoil George’s momentum. Said it with a straight face too. Utter bollocks, but hard to prove otherwise and he knows it.

At first I thought George had just made a mistake, but the first time I saw his onboard, it was obvious that Alonso had pulled a stunt. To be honest, I’ve never liked Alonso, and whilst he can obviously drive a racing car, I wouldn’t trust him as far as I can throw a grand piano.

At first I thought George had just made a mistake, but the first time I saw his onboard, it was obvious that Alonso had pulled a stunt. To be honest, I’ve never liked Alonso, and whilst he can obviously drive a racing car, I wouldn’t trust him as far as I can throw a grand piano.

We've got used the idea that these cars can protect their drivers - and that the risks of injury are lower than they used to be.

My thoughts when I saw Russell's car in the middle of the track were about the horrific accidents when cars have been hit amidships at speed by another car - Alex Zardini.

Alonso has had his reputation sullied again today. His reputation in F1 had been growing over the last two seasons. He has three points and a time penalty I hope he reflects on what the consequences might have been had George Russell's car been struck on track.

We've got used the idea that these cars can protect their drivers - and that the risks of injury are lower than they used to be.

My thoughts when I saw Russell's car in the middle of the track were about the horrific accidents when cars have been hit amidships at speed by another car - Alex Zardini.

Alonso has had his reputation sullied again today. His reputation in F1 had been growing over the last two seasons. He has three points and a time penalty I hope he reflects on what the consequences might have been had George Russell's car been struck on track.
I really don't understand why the race wasn't red flagged.

I really don't understand why the race wasn't red flagged.
I don’t get it either. I thought it was a clear red flag incident.

I think under a Red Flag the cars have to drop to 80km/h and return to the pits. The drivers will know that something very serious has happened.

Under the virtual safety car, the cars drop down to whatever speed is needed to maintain a time delta. They might think that there is some debris somewhere on the circuit or a car has broken down. I doubt they’d be thinking that a car was on its side across the middle of the circuit with the driver still in it.

Luckily, there was a big enough gap behind George for it not to turn into complete mayhem and possible injury/death.

Considering that the race director, his team and the race stewards have access to all of the TV feed, together with years of experience and knowledge of the rules; their decision making at times seems to take forever.

I’ve seen stupid comments on social media blaming George for this (as said earlier, my first thoughts were that it was his error - it wasn’t) and that Alonso did nothing wrong. Also that George was only asking for a Red Flag in order to protect his position in the race and the world championship point(s). 🙄

Just unbelievable levels of ignorance and toxicity out there these days. Really spoiling the sport IMHO.

Under the virtual safety car, the cars drop down to whatever speed is needed to maintain a time delta. They might think that there is some debris somewhere on the circuit or a car has broken down.
I agree that it should have been a red flag incident, however the drivers are in radio contact with their team and they should be warned that there’s a car stranded across the track under VSC conditions so that’s a mitigating factor, albeit one that relies on multiple channels of communication.

If one of the purposes of running an F1 team such as Aston Martin is mainly to enhance the "brand image" then I expect Alonso may get some static from the team principal about the incident. On the other hand Red Bull seem to have no qualms about Verstapppen's tactics in the past - as long as he is winning that is.;)

^^ video is bang on 👍

Alonso really must be one heck of a driver, otherwise he would have been gone a long time ago. PR nightmare at times, dirty tactics on the track, throws sponsors under the bus (Honda F2 engine comment for example)…

Don’t see Red Bull having qualms about anything to be honest…

Over the years many have mused about how good a driver Hamilton really is, and how well he would do if he didn't have the best car.
I guess we know now.......

Over the years many have mused about how good a driver Hamilton really is, and how well he would do if he didn't have the best car.
If the car is set up to his liking, Hamilton is a world beater. But he does struggle more than many when things aren't right.
Russell seems to be adapting to this years Mercedes far better although I understand Hamilton is trying out different set ups to try and fix their current problem.

Hmm…

The drivers all need to have a car that gives them confidence and if that also happens to be a quick car, then they’re in contention for wins and championships.

Under the current regulations Mercedes have yet to deliver a car that is predictable. It is ‘draggy’, yet lacking in downforce and the drivers are struggling to get the tyres into the right operating window. The engineers still haven’t managed to achieve a good correlation between their models and reality, and currently still don’t know how to resolve the issues they’re facing.

Compared the Williams that George left, even this car is a massive step up, as is the team. He is still confident and is more comfortable in the current car than Lewis. But, he isn’t making the car any quicker.

Compared to what Lewis had in 2019, 2020 and the second half of 2021, it’s nowhere. He is not comfortable with the car, and even by trying different set-up routes, is unable to get it to be where he wants it. Consequently he is unable to really wring its neck because his instinct doesn’t allow him to fully commit and trust the car to keep him on the black stuff.

If people think that Hamilton is not (still) an outstanding racing driver, they are really not paying attention.

There is a good article here which begins to explain the role of Race Engineer. I can vouch for the fact that it is not as easy as it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom