• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Facebook adverts

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
What is it with all the adverts for cars on FB that are obviously total BS?

You know the ones, where you see a car at a very good, or even stupidly low, price and find the seller has loads of vehicles advertised at stupid low prices, sometimes even the exact same cars as somebody else.

I know I might be naive and life a sheltered existence, but what's the point? What do they hope to gain from them? Surely nobody is stupid enough to think they're for real?🤔

But some people do think they are for real. Desperate folks, w’out nous about cars unlike members on here. The ‘sellers’ are fraudsters, take only a deposit then disappear. The problem is FB who do little or nothing to stop such ads because they drive traffic and make money for FB. Nick Clegg, the ex Lib Dem Leader now makes £000,000s from working for FB. He just doesn’t care as long as his fat pay cheque keeps rolling in…

They are basically collecting deposits from stupid people. It doesn't cost them anything and there seems to be no real comeback.

I like to mess with them sometimes - ask them to take a picture of themselves with today's paper in front of the car. Often the ad will disappear shortly after my request.

They are basically collecting deposits from stupid people. It doesn't cost them anything and there seems to be no real comeback.

I like to mess with them sometimes - ask them to take a picture of themselves with today's paper in front of the car. Often the ad will disappear shortly after my request.
I might do that next time.

The BBC and other news outlets have been running news on 'scams' recently (finally catching up ) and I think Facebook marketplace was top of the list for people being scammed out of money.

Not surprised really Facebook is a morons happy place.

I am not on Faceache but the CEO/CFO has an account.
I was recently in the market for a Victorian blanket chest and trawling the net threw up prices in the high £hundreds for refurbished ones to low £hundreds for really tatty ones.
Looked on the CEOs FB Marketplace and up pops one locally in good condition for £40. 5 miles later and a happy buyer and a happy seller waved each other goodbye!
I don't know what the moral of that story is except maybe to try Marketplace first next time.

The BBC and other news outlets have been running news on 'scams' recently (finally catching up ) and I think Facebook marketplace was top of the list for people being scammed out of money.

Not surprised really Facebook is a morons happy place.
I’ve bought quite a few items from Facebook Marketplace and I’m not really sure how one can be scammed.

For example, I was after a De Walt planer. The seller was in St Albans so I drove up there handed over some cash, he gave me the planer and I was off. Simples.

Moral. Face to face and cash only.

I’m not on FB or Insta. My wife and daughter are though. They say that they enjoy the good bits and ignore the bad.

I find it odd when people look down on people who use/enjoy social media. Same old attitude of tarring all with the same brush. Grunter status yet again. 😊

But some people do think they are for real. Desperate folks, w’out nous about cars unlike members on here. The ‘sellers’ are fraudsters, take only a deposit then disappear. The problem is FB who do little or nothing to stop such ads because they drive traffic and make money for FB. Nick Clegg, the ex Lib Dem Leader now makes £000,000s from working for FB. He just doesn’t care as long as his fat pay cheque keeps rolling in…
To be fair to the politician now earning a “living wage” of roughly £15 million, instead of the laughable £135k a year he earned as Deputy PM, the question is what can FB do to scrutinise and validate every post ?

The assumption is that participants should apply a little common sense, especially when parting with money.

Like this entry on booking.com

IMG_1001.jpeg

Last edited:
She,who must be obeyed. The final decision maker and keeper of the privy purse.
Shouldn't SWMBO be COO and CFO ?

CEO ( CTO & Strategy director) drinks coffee, reads newspapers / car mags, washes the car, then surfs mbclub and Autotrader.

Or is that just my house?

Reactions: JHS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom