• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What to do if you see a car for sale from a dealer that you know has been clocked?

Devil's Advocate here. Maybe it wasn't clocked per-se. I had an old Audi A4 (2010) where the cluster went dead. So got a new one from a breaker and installed it. Every shop failed (even Audi themselves) to reprogram the mileage to the 'new' cluster without significant cost of troubleshooting. So I received a statement from Audi showing that the cluster has been replaced by customer with old cluster showing X mileage ..

So when I sold the car I left the note and the old cluster with the dealer.

Now guess .. would the dealer give said document and old instrument cluster to the new customer (difference was about 24k miles) ? Doubt it ... So I guess it is KINDA the same thing - clocked / changed cluster - all I am saying it isn't always the old's owners fault :)

I STILL got a copy of the document and photo of cluster in my files to cover my backside :) Even after gosh, 8 years now when I sold it ....

Hi , many years ago a large motor group use to put a large sticker on the dash board on pre owned cars stating : we do not guarantee the mileage of this car under any circumstances.

Hi , many years ago a large motor group use to put a large sticker on the dash board on pre owned cars stating : we do not guarantee the mileage of this car under any circumstances.
Yup, we did in the early 70’s when I was a Car Salesman and that was a very strict instruction. :)

Relatively standard practice I would say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom