• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What to do if you see a car for sale from a dealer that you know has been clocked?

I was alluding to more general things going in in the world, not specifically this car. Having seen the rest of the thread and the picture you provided it looks like a nice motor and maybe its only the most recent history that has been doctored (or the previous owners were more competent at doctoring!). If that's the case its still a mystery as to why anyone would do it, other than to make it look like its been a garage queen its whole life. As you say, unlikely to affect the value much but may make it more saleable.
Whatever, its still a bit naughty and I understand the OPs position and its a sad reflection on the world that no-one really cares. But that's where we find ourselves.

For the particular case of clocking, once we pay by the mile, it will all go away. Do I believe that ? No, not really. But by then government will claim the system is unbreakable and therefore no-one can fiddle it, so there will not even be a way of investigating. :)
With you all the way.
Given the earlier comment about it being offered by an East European, I'd guess that i could have been simply parked up in a "Jonny Foreigner's" UK garage or, for occasional use when over here. Not a "garage queen" per se Just a 1500 mile a year car that gets MD serviced every year.

Call it Embassy or Global Multi-millionaire spec.

Looking at the MOT mileages he has had a lot of tyre problems over a short distance travelled, I counted 7 tyres with cuts and excess wear.
It wouldn't surprise me if it had a haircut every year, perhaps he had a mate with a Mileage Corrector ?

Please don't accuse me of trolling. I offer a considered opinion based on available evidence. 16 MB dealer services and 16 MoTs plus a change of owner in Feb 2021.
The problem is that your 'considered opinion' is just plain wrong. The OP has driven the car; when he did so, the recorded mileage was more than it is now. That is first-hand evidence; how exactly did you explain away that in reaching your conclusion?

The TotalCarCheck result also shows a mileage discrepancy. How do you explain that?

Last edited:
The problem is that your 'considered opinion' is just plain wrong. The OP has driven the car; when he did so, the recorded mileage was more than it is now. That is first-hand evidence; how exactly did you explain away that in reaching your conclusion?

The TotalCarCheck result also shows a mileage discrepancy. How do you explain that?
Voodoo magic :D

Please don't accuse me of trolling. I offer a considered opinion based on available evidence. 16 MB dealer services and 16 MoTs plus a change of owner in Feb 2021.
16MB dealer services

Thats a lot of times to have your ⚾🎱🏀⚽️'s felt

I don't have to. It's not my problem.

We all make fools of ourselves sometimes. When I do, and it's obvious to everyone I have done so, I have the grace to acknowledge it...
I must go back through your old posts. They'll surely be littered with apologies.

🎉🎉🎉 For those that thought it mattered, and others, the dealer has now taken down the advert(s). The system does work!
Good for you, standing up and doing the right thing sometimes takes effort, but hopefully will have avoided someone else being misled 👍🏻

oh dear

OIG1736

YES. This vehicle is showing as INSURED on the Motor Insurance Database today​

Was it not insured previously? I don't know if it was or wasn't.

Did you use a public access to find this out? Or are you in the business?

Last edited:
Was it not insured previously? I don't know if it was or wasn't.

Did you use a public access to find this out? Or are you in the business?
I don't know if it was insured or not, but I would imagine no vehicles which are owned by traders have their own insurance policy
Definitely not in the business, I use a site called askmid

let's hope it wasn't sold...
The dvla have a check if a vehicle is taxed webpage.

Really handy because it will tell you date when the last logbook V5c was issued. Also useful for checking a car's Co2 level, if it has an export marker and if you are looking at a commercial vehicle the revenue weight.

The s500 in question last had a change of ownership (or perhaps a numberplate/ address change) in Feb 2021 so it appears not to have been sold.

still untaxed... logbook not changed... no doubt it will disappear into an auction..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom