Favourite glass/ bottle of Red.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slightly o/t as it's white rather than red, but when I went to Greece for the first time and tried Retsina I found it very unpalatable, albeit very cheap.

I soon discovered (following advice) that it was only the first two bottles which tasted that way ..... from the third one onwards it was really rather nice.

Celebrating on a night out after working in Crete for a fortnight, I was offered some Retsina and as I had tried it before wasn't too keen, but the Cretan Offering was rather pleasant, after a few we all went to bed (NOT SOBER) ;) 🥳 as we had an early Flight next Day. Arrived at the Airport to be met by the Team we had been working with, all bearing Gifts, mine was 4 Litres of Retsina in old 2 Litre Coke Bottles, I was given it as I was the first Brit that had neither "Fallen Over" or called it "Disgusting" No pleading with the donor to take it back was listened to, so I had to accept the Gift! :rolleyes:

My problem was, how to get this basically "Moonshine/Rocket Fuel" onto the Aircraft? without being arrested (Highly Flammable and) :eek:

In the end we had a small Party with some of it but, had to deposit the rest down a Toilet, cleanest Toilet I had seen all Fortnight and slept the whole Flight back! ;) :D:oops:

Celebrating on a night out after working in Crete for a fortnight, I was offered some Retsina and as I had tried it before wasn't too keen, but the Cretan Offering was rather pleasant, after a few we all went to bed (NOT SOBER) ;) 🥳 as we had an early Flight next Day. Arrived at the Airport to be met by the Team we had been working with, all bearing Gifts, mine was 4 Litres of Retsina in old 2 Litre Coke Bottles, I was given it as I was the first Brit that had neither "Fallen Over" or called it "Disgusting" No pleading with the donor to take it back was listened to, so I had to accept the Gift! :rolleyes:

My problem was, how to get this basically "Moonshine/Rocket Fuel" onto the Aircraft? without being arrested (Highly Flammable and) :eek:

In the end we had a small Party with some of it but, had to deposit the rest down a Toilet, cleanest Toilet I had seen all Fortnight and slept the whole Flight back! ;) :D:oops:

Aah ... the best of Greece!

Went to Lesbos in 1986 (in its second year of tourism - wouldn't like to go there now!) and discovered a better alternative to Retsina in the form of a local wine called Sec Epom. It was so nice that we brought half a dozen bottles back with us.

Sadly, either it didn't travel well or our taste buds were different in Greece, but we opened one bottle and it was gross. We threw the rest away.

I've enjoyed this thread, more recommendations please! For red wines my recommendation is more or less anything Portuguese. Not always easy to find but I reckon great value.

For some unknown reason we tend to enjoy Australian red more than others we have sampled. We didn’t drink wine at all until my Canadian cousins introduced us to it about seven years ago.
I will admit straight away, if a bottle costs more than about eight quid, it won’t feature on our favourites.

This is very quaffable:

It really is a crossover style between the American style Zinfandel and Italian style Primitivo.

This is very quaffable:

It really is a crossover style between the American style Zinfandel and Italian style Primitivo.
Mmmm, sounds promising 👍

I was given a bottle of red by a neighbour for my birthday a couple of years ago. It was in a box and I was lead to believe it was special.
I googled it and found that it retailed between £30 & £35.
I laid it down at the time and opened it a couple of months ago.
Disappointed to say the least.................................

I was given a bottle of red by a neighbour for my birthday a couple of years ago. It was in a box and I was lead to believe it was special.
I googled it and found that it retailed between £30 & £35.
I laid it down at the time and opened it a couple of months ago.
Disappointed to say the least.................................
What was it?

For some unknown reason we tend to enjoy Australian red more than others we have sampled. We didn’t drink wine at all until my Canadian cousins introduced us to it about seven years ago.
I will admit straight away, if a bottle costs more than about eight quid, it won’t feature on our favourites.
Eight quid?! 😲

You're absolutely right .. plenty of good stuff out there much less than that.

Got some Badgers Creek Shiraz in the Wine Fair out here ... think it was €3.75 (about £3.17). but you had to buy a box of 6.

Sometimes decisions are just too hard .... thankfully a First World problem.

Off back tomorrow to top up.

They say a picture...etc. This is my ready to drink reds rack and I guess it accurately reflects my taste in red wine.
Each one I enjoy and it really depends on the time, setting and company as to which is my favourite.
As a bit of a petrolhead, I'm rather pleased that one of them accurately states in bold that there are CAR MEN 'ERE :cool:

IMG_1168.JPG

Nice selection. You have 2 of our faves: Barefoot and Dark Horse.👍👍

They say a picture...etc. This is my ready to drink reds rack and I guess it accurately reflects my taste in red wine.
Each one I enjoy and it really depends on the time, setting and company as to which is my favourite.
As a bit of a petrolhead, I'm rather pleased that one of them accurately states in bold that there are CAR MEN 'ERE :cool:

View attachment 119744
Cannot recall a crap Louis Jadot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom