• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

First detail on the E63 (Photo heavy)

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
So its been 6 months since I bought the car and today I gave the E63 its first detail in my ownership.
It was also the first time I have used a DA polisher, and after going over the bonnet of Mrs AMGeed's Kia, I was ready to tackle the black car.

But first I hosed the car down with a pressure washer to get rid of the worst of the dust/dirt. Then a wash with Megs Gold class shampoo using the two bucket method. I used Carplan Demon Machine Rapid Dirt Shifter on the wheels which were caked in brake dust. Again, power washed to clean off and onto the next stage.
Time for the Megs Clay Mitt with brilliant shine detailer as a lube, then another wash with shampoo and a power rinse off and dried with microfibre towels.

Then it was time for my first use of a polisher and to be honest, it really is easy. I just have to get to grips with which pads are recommended for different stages/jobs.
I used an orange medium pad and applied PoorBoys Black Hole glaze and buffed off by hand with a new microfibre towel. Looking good, it was then time for a wax. I'm using Bilt Hamber Double speed wax and decided to apply this with the provided sponge applicator and buffed off with another new microfibre towel.
Next came an application of Sonax BSD wiped off with another towel. Almost done.
I still have to dress the wheels, wax the rims and polish and wax the door shuts and inside the bonnet. The engine is as clean as a whistle and not at all dusty as its good for now.
I'm pleased with the results and really recommend both glaze and wax although this new Turtle Wax ceramic stuff looks worth a try.

A few gratuitous photos of the finished job.

20200403_144125.jpg 20200403_150122.jpg 20200403_150201.jpg 20200403_154628.jpg 20200403_160200.jpg 20200403_182052.jpg 20200403_150108.jpg 20200403_174902.jpg

That car is perfection Rog. I’ve got a P-FL 212 (diesel unfortunately lol) but an E63 is on the must have list for me! :D

WOW, that's lovely!!
Excellent job. :)

I did miss a bit out in the above. Before claying, I used a tar decontaminate on the lower doors and down both flanks. Didn't want to be rubbing tar spots along the paintwork with the clay mitt. Before claying the paintwork felt rough to the touch. Afterwards it was like glass. I really do recommend these clay mitts and they are effective for at least 4 or 5 uses I have found.

Last edited:
I did miss a bit out in the above. Before claying, I used a tar decontaminate on the lower doors and down both flanks. Didn't want to be rubbing tar spots along the paintwork with the clay mitt. Before claying the paintwork felt rough to the touch. Afterwards it was like glass. I really do recommend these clay mitts and they are effective for at least 4 or 5 uses I have found.

Which clay mitt do you use please Rog?

Simple mate. Just use soapy water or a detailer to keep the paintwork wet. No need to rub hard, let the clay do the work.

Simple mate. Just use soapy water or a detailer to keep the paintwork wet. No need to rub hard, let the clay do the work.
Thanks mate

Looking lovely Rog. Man I miss that car. If only the 213 was as supple as comfortable as the 212.

In saying that, I was out in a 213 E53 on 20” rims a while ago. It was very smooth and compliant as opposed to the E63. Might need to look at it again.

Looks nice, Roger. :thumb: :thumb:

You're a braver man than me.
I bought a Meguiar's D/A polisher a few years ago and have only used it once on the bonnet of a car that didn't really matter.
I keep on meaning to get hold of an old banger or some body panels to experiment on.

A guy from my bodyshop came and did the Range Rover and then ceramic coated and made it look pretty easy, but so it should for him.

I once T-Cutted my white Sprinter with a heavy duty polisher after there was a difference in the white paint shade where our logo/lettering had been.
However, the paint on a van is much tougher and more forgiving than that of a car, thankfully!

I’ll buy it off ya :D

I think I might keep it. :D
I remember Dieselman mentioning it would be difficult to make a real bodge of things because it was a D/A polisher.

It's the ducks that I feel sorry for and I don't think the RSPCA would be at all happy.

Is it just me that sees "any way up" in Yorkshire, in this picture?

20200403_154628-jpg.94036

I think I might keep it. :D
I remember Dieselman mentioning it would be difficult to make a real bodge of things because it was a D/A polisher.

It's the ducks that I feel sorry for and I don't think the RSPCA would be at all happy.

holding them still might be a challenge as well!

very nice motor :) can't wait for my cleaning supplies to arrive so i can do the same lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom