French go Trés Hardcore on Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
saorbust said:
We are driving down to the south of france (Grasse) in April - on reading this topic I wonder what the safe speed to travel at will be - I was guessing about 85 mph, or 135-140 kph. anyone any tips on journey / route etc ?

thanks,
Jonathon

Just now I would advise sticking to the speed limits. Some areas are tougher than others but a lot are following a no tolerance policy, I know someone who was fined for doing 54 kph in a 50 limit!
I would think if you don't exceed 140kph on the auotroute you should be OK, still see lots going much faster though.
Careful on the A25, they are being very tough there apparently.

Motard said:
If you are looking for some nice rural roads where you can give it some welly there are a few in the south that are not very busy and seem to lack police attention.

Bob

I can vouch for that, hopeing to have some fun again this year, BUT not in a hire car :D

We stuck to around 85mph last summer and were fine. Obeyed the limits in built up areas and restricted roads. Didn't observe any increased poice presence but the roads were generally much busier than they've ever been before so not a lot of opportunity to exceed the limits anyway - other than some motorways. Even the Peage routes were busy :eek: Most of the Aire De....s were heaving - hey ho - school hol periods for ya I guess :(

Planning to do Biarritz this summer :bannana: (unless I find sommat better in between now and then that I can get Josh to agree to :crazy: )

I go to see my wifes family in France 4 times a year, is true there very hot on speeding there now, I still drive 100 mph
most the time except at night when it's last part of the journey where go little faster as want to get to bed, as yet i'v been flashed at 100on the motorway 3 times never a fine. Haven't been pulled by police yet and hope never to be pulled. You dont need to stick to speed limit, just be sensible and keep your eyes open.
When i was there at christmas was driving at 100 just to over take someone whan i saw the police sitting in there car behind a tree so slowed down, but i thought how cheeky. Main thing dont take speed camera detector because you get worse fine than speeding.

Thanks for tips all ! Origin unit staying at home me thinks !

Clarky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom