From C43 to either C63 or E63.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

Have to say, the C43 delights me. The 4MATIC means to grips the road v well and transmits all the power into forward momentum. I get no crabbing with the right tyres. Have found it blisteringly quick and importantly the smaller size does give it a certain kart like agility.

This blasted forum is giving me a V8 itch.

Concerns about C63 are the RWD and loss of 4MATIC. However tempted by what is likely to be the same kart like ability. Also concerned about comments I've read on this form that second hand ones then to have been thrashed.

Then there is the E63. 4MATIC is very tempting. Concerned about losing the kart like agility due to its larger size.

The other complication is of course the s question... namely C63s or E63s.

Would value thoughts from those who have had both C and E.

TIA

Have to say, the C43 delights me. The 4MATIC means to grips the road v well and transmits all the power into forward momentum. I get no crabbing with the right tyres. Have found it blisteringly quick and importantly the smaller size does give it a certain kart like agility.

Concerns about C63 are the RWD and loss of 4MATIC. However tempted by what is likely to be the same kart like ability. Also concerned about comments I've read on this form that second hand ones then to have been thrashed.

Then there is the E63. 4MATIC is very tempting. Concerned about losing the kart like agility due to its larger size.

TIA
Don’t let the move from 4WD to RWD put you off buying a 63-engines car: unless traction from low speeds is your first priority. RWD is favored by many.

Likewise don’t be put off the E being slightly bigger and heavier than the C, it doesn’t feel much different, and it’s not like you’re coming out of a Lotus 7!

Pwrsonally my rule of thumb is 4WD for family/business cars, and RWD for fun cars. I’m happy to trade a little feel and high-speed performance for low speed performance without thinking too hard.

I have a 2018 C43 convertible and a 2013 C63 507 estate. Both fantastic cars. In the dry, always the C63 - the acceleration is brutal and it feels much faster that the C43. Taken it to Oulton Park many times and dry roadholding is excellent.
However, in the wet, always the C43. The wet road holding, as you'll know, is amazing and it feels so much more secure than the C63. I wouldn't dream of going the same speed in the 63 as I can in 43 in the wet.
Both have their place!

I have a 2018 C43 convertible and a 2013 C63 507 estate. Both fantastic cars. In the dry, always the C63 - the acceleration is brutal and it feels much faster that the C43. Taken it to Oulton Park many times and dry roadholding is excellent.
However, in the wet, always the C43. The wet road holding, as you'll know, is amazing and it feels so much more secure than the C63. I wouldn't dream of going the same speed in the 63 as I can in 43 in the wet.
Both have their place!
So I’m interpreting that as a vote for the 4MATIC E63 over a C63. With our weather it’s got to be a year round car

So I’m interpreting that as a vote for the 4MATIC E63 over a C63. With our weather it’s got to be a year round car
There’s absolutely nothing wrong a powerful RWD car as an all year round car, you just need to make sure that you’re using the right tyres to make sure it goes and stops when you need it to.

You could try to use ultra high performance tyres all year round - and many do - but it makes less sense to accept the compromise of summer tyres in winter if you’re going to use it any time, every time.

It really does come down to personal taste - some like exclusively 4WD/AWD, RWD, or FWD, and some like variety - that’s something you should decide yourself because you may not like what others like.

However even if you opt for 4WD/AWD I would recommend that you still plan for winter tyres, because very wide, very stiff ultra high performance tyres are not ideal in cold, damp, and wet conditions.

Unfortunately the initial traction provided with 4WD/AWD can lead to a false sense of security, because it masks the issue. The cold weather performance will be just as compromised when braking hard, steering hard, aqua-planing, etc.

It’s for this reason that E63S owners are just as likely to fit winter tyres as a RWD AMG owners. Here ends the public announcement on behalf of the winger tyre marketing board.

I bought my C63S as a daily in July this year, my last two cars were Audi's (an A5 and and latterly an A6 Avant) so have been cosseted by the safety and security of 4WD for the last 7 years. But I craved a return to a proper petrol (V8) car and the 63 is it - yes its a bit a 'lairy' (sp?) in the damp and ice, but I wouldn't be concerned about it (or an E63) being a year round car, if you're bothered about damp/icy conditions then just budget for a set of winter tyres and adjust your driving style. Full disclosure by the way, I had planned on winter tyres myself this year but given the current situation, a planned/subsequently cancelled skiing trip in the French Alps and working from home, I can't justify the cost when i'm not using the car as I had planned - but I will be investing next year.

Realistically unless you live in the far north of Scotland or somewhere else on this fair island that sees regular heavy snowfall, the benefits of having all that power during the rest of the year far far outweigh (to me anyway) any perceived disadvantage of 500hp+ delivered via the rear wheels.

My final comment on this is that I replaced my tyres with Michelin PS4S's last week and the difference in grip even on a wet road from a standing start is astonishing....

TIA
Late reply, sorry. Just joined the forum. I went from a C43 Coupe (brief ownership) to a new C63S Coupe. Booyakajon sums up the two cars well. Agree 100% with Bobby Dazzler on winters. I ran the C63S on a factory set of winter wheels/tyres. Makes a big difference when the temperature drops, I've also run GLE63S and Audi S8 on winters even though 4Matic/Quattro as the inherent weakness with stiff fat tyres is still there with AWD in the winter. I just think it makes the cars better in poor conditions.

Late reply, sorry. Just joined the forum. I went from a C43 Coupe (brief ownership) to a new C63S Coupe. Booyakajon sums up the two cars well. Agree 100% with Bobby Dazzler on winters. I ran the C63S on a factory set of winter wheels/tyres. Makes a big difference when the temperature drops, I've also run GLE63S and Audi S8 on winters even though 4Matic/Quattro as the inherent weakness with stiff fat tyres is still there with AWD in the winter. I just think it makes the cars better in poor conditions.
I agree, our ML 63 AMG are both useless in the snow on summer tyres for the reasons you describe. Even cars with 4matic need winter tyres if they use performamce tyres in summer.

How much would I be looking to pay to fit winter tyres to my current 19" wheels?

Or would it be possible to fit 18" or even 17" wheels. Not sure they will fit over the discs without rubbing.

How much would I be looking to pay to fit winter tyres to my current 19" wheels?

Or would it be possible to fit 18" or even 17" wheels. Not sure they will fit over the discs without rubbing.
Hi. Which model are you talking about? David

18" fit on the E63, 17's do not clear the caliper

Oh, OK. I have a factory OEM set of 19" winter wheels and tyres that are from my 2017 CLS63S. I'm certain they fit the W212 E63. I was going to move them on as I don't have the car but not to anyone who was just going to re-sell, so I held back. I only wanted them to go to an enthusiast or a person with a car, even if I got less money.

I don't want to break the rules on the forum, so I can't use Private Message or Classifieds and in any event selling stuff wasn't my reason for joining. I have a few posts to go before I can PM, so if you're interested give me a heads up and we can do things properly. No worries if they're not for you. I have them stored properly in covers so they're doing no harm. David

Oh, OK. I have a factory OEM set of 19" winter wheels and tyres that are from my 2017 CLS63S. I'm certain they fit the W212 E63. I was going to move them on as I don't have the car but not to anyone who was just going to re-sell, so I held back. I only wanted them to go to an enthusiast or a person with a car, even if I got less money.

I don't want to break the rules on the forum, so I can't use Private Message or Classifieds and in any event selling stuff wasn't my reason for joining. I have a few posts to go before I can PM, so if you're interested give me a heads up and we can do things properly. No worries if they're not for you. I have them stored properly in covers so they're doing no harm. David

Ok, sounds like something I could be interested in. Do the tyres have much tread left on them. Is it possible to upload some photos of them. Thanks.

It would be for an E63 👍
Sorry, think I replied to the wrong post. Just getting the hang of all this! I have a factory OEM set of 19" winter wheels and tyres that are from my 2017 CLS63S. I'm certain they fit the W212 E63. I was going to move them on as I don't have the car but not to anyone who was just going to re-sell, so I held back. I only wanted them to go to an enthusiast or a person with a car, even if I got less money.

Ok, sounds like something I could be interested in. Do the tyres have much tread left on them. Is it possible to upload some photos of them. Thanks.
Yes, I am make a c**k of this, sorry. Tread and condition are all good. I'll see if I can upload some photo's and spec tomorrow, as long as I'm not breaking the forum guidelines.

Yes, I am make a c**k of this, sorry. Tread and condition are all good. I'll see if I can upload some photo's and spec tomorrow, as long as I'm not breaking the forum guidelines.

Ok that would be good. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom