From C43 to either C63 or E63.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How much would I be looking to pay to fit winter tyres to my current 19" wheels?

Or would it be possible to fit 18" or even 17" wheels. Not sure they will fit over the discs without rubbing.
Picking up a used set, either with or without wheels would be the most cost effective.

If you buy them new then it’s best to buy them in the summer, or early Autumn at the latest, before demand increases and prices rise.

Picking up a used set, either with or without wheels would be the most cost effective.

If you buy them new then it’s best to buy them in the summer, or early Autumn at the latest, before demand increases and prices rise.

Good points, thank you. 👍

Good points, thank you. 👍
Best time of all is spring, because that’s when demand falls off a cliff - and stock is offloaded - and prices fall.

It will mean that you could end up with a slightly older tyre when you come to use it, but as long as it’s stored correctly then that shouldn’t be an issue.

I bought some in early March this year. I forget how much I paid but they were something like 40% less expensive than they were just 6 weeks before!

There’s absolutely nothing wrong a powerful RWD car as an all year round car, you just need to make sure that you’re using the right tyres to make sure it goes and stops when you need it to.

You could try to use ultra high performance tyres all year round - and many do - but it makes less sense to accept the compromise of summer tyres in winter if you’re going to use it any time, every time.

It really does come down to personal taste - some like exclusively 4WD/AWD, RWD, or FWD, and some like variety - that’s something you should decide yourself because you may not like what others like.

However even if you opt for 4WD/AWD I would recommend that you still plan for winter tyres, because very wide, very stiff ultra high performance tyres are not ideal in cold, damp, and wet conditions.

Unfortunately the initial traction provided with 4WD/AWD can lead to a false sense of security, because it masks the issue. The cold weather performance will be just as compromised when braking hard, steering hard, aqua-planing, etc.

It’s for this reason that E63S owners are just as likely to fit winter tyres as a RWD AMG owners. Here ends the public announcement on behalf of the winger tyre marketing board.
Can we have this statement as a sticky for all those who just don’t understand winter tyres.

Best time of all is spring, because that’s when demand falls off a cliff - and stock is offloaded - and prices fall.

It will mean that you could end up with a slightly older tyre when you come to use it, but as long as it’s stored correctly then that shouldn’t be an issue.

I bought some in early March this year. I forget how much I paid but they were something like 40% less expensive than they were just 6 weeks before!
Bobby, I’ve never ever used winter tyres shock horror.

Had a winter set of tyres on a previous E39 528i estate. Got a about 4/5 winters from them. That car only went to car heaven early this year. I have left it late this year to address this issue. But I have been debating my options. But thank you for the good cost effective advice. Much appreciated.

The winters on the BMW were amazing I got to places where 4x4 were struggling.

Had a winter set of tyres on a previous E39 528i estate. Got a about 4/5 winters from them. That car only went to car heaven early this year. I have left it late this year to address this issue. But I have been debating my options. But thank you for the good cost effective advice. Much appreciated.

The winters on the BMW were amazing I got to places where 4x4 were struggling.
Interesting on the BMW. I ran run flat winters on one of the first customer delivered 645's (model E63) in the UK in '04. Briliant then, but the tyre tech has certainly moved on.

Ok that would be good. Thanks
Attached are photographs of the two front and two rear wheels. I don't have my depth gauge with me but the fronts are about 6.5/7 mm and the rears 5.5/6 mm. I've included some pics so you can see for yourself.

The wheels and tyres are the factory spec'd ones. Rims unmarked, correctly stored flat by me, in covers and in the dark so no tyre degradation. No cuts or bulges in them as far as I can see, no repairs or damage to tyre or rim through their life.

These were on my 2017 CLS63S and delivered in Autumn 2017 from Germany, so the tyres should be well inside any date code issue. Obviously the 255 on the rear is narrower that the standard tyre but I was more than happy to trade looks for the ability to deploy 577bhp relatively safely. The winters also have a benefit (IMO) in cold weather of feeling a little more composed as the CLS summers got quite unyielding in cold temperatures.

Fronts 9x19H2 ET37 Part Number A212 401 50 02 - Pirelli SottoZero 240 Series II 255/35/R19 96V Winter M & S

Rears 9.5x19H2 ET52 Part Number A212 401 51 02 - Pirelli SottoZero 240 Series II 255/35/R19 96V Winter M & S

You'll need to check for yourself but whenever these come up they're marked as the winter wheel/tyre combo for CLS63S (C218) and E63 (W212). I think I have all the correct part numbers and types but if you need anything further let me know. As I said before, if it's not something for you I'm fine with that.

David

9.5x19 rear wheel.jpg9x19 front wheel.jpgTread front 6.5:7.jpgTread rear 5.5:6.jpg

Interesting - the winter tyres I picked up (on the same rims) are 285 at the back, which matches the summer tyres I took off. Looks like my rears may have been over-specified.

^ Nice wheels. I have the same (in black) on my E63.
Brand new, they retail at £3300+ without tyres.
Edit.......and they are the same ET as E63 fitment.

Last edited:
Interesting - the winter tyres I picked up (on the same rims) are 285 at the back, which matches the summer tyres I took off. Looks like my rears may have been over-specified.
Winter spec tyres are 255x35x19 all round, even though the alloys are staggered set up.

^ Nice wheels. I have the same (in black) on my E63.
Brand new, they retail at £3300+ without tyres.
Yes, the full winter package was £4,100 from MB. I ran 19" on summers as well, but with the larger tyres that came with the car new and the bicolour from the Night Pack (see below).

CLS63S.jpg

Winter spec tyres are 255x35x19 all round, even though the alloys are staggered set up.
I'll get the correct tyres when it comes time to replace mine, thanks for the info.

I'll get the correct tyres when it comes time to replace mine, thanks for the info.
No problem.
The winter tyre spec is on the link in Post#30 above.

Attached are photographs of the two front and two rear wheels. I don't have my depth gauge with me but the fronts are about 6.5/7 mm and the rears 5.5/6 mm. I've included some pics so you can see for yourself.

The wheels and tyres are the factory spec'd ones. Rims unmarked, correctly stored flat by me, in covers and in the dark so no tyre degradation. No cuts or bulges in them as far as I can see, no repairs or damage to tyre or rim through their life.

These were on my 2017 CLS63S and delivered in Autumn 2017 from Germany, so the tyres should be well inside any date code issue. Obviously the 255 on the rear is narrower that the standard tyre but I was more than happy to trade looks for the ability to deploy 577bhp relatively safely. The winters also have a benefit (IMO) in cold weather of feeling a little more composed as the CLS summers got quite unyielding in cold temperatures.

Fronts 9x19H2 ET37 Part Number A212 401 50 02 - Pirelli SottoZero 240 Series II 255/35/R19 96V Winter M & S

Rears 9.5x19H2 ET52 Part Number A212 401 51 02 - Pirelli SottoZero 240 Series II 255/35/R19 96V Winter M & S

You'll need to check for yourself but whenever these come up they're marked as the winter wheel/tyre combo for CLS63S (C218) and E63 (W212). I think I have all the correct part numbers and types but if you need anything further let me know. As I said before, if it's not something for you I'm fine with that.

David

View attachment 106552View attachment 106553View attachment 106557View attachment 106558

In epic condition by the pictures. Looking at fitment I'm not sure they will fit my E63. Going by the fitment to vehicle spec. I do also have a forged set of 18" F 14 style wheels that the summer tyres are running low on tread. Looking at your wheels I imagine you will be looking for quite a bit more than I might be looking to pay.

Thanks for uploading the pictures.

David

View attachment 106552View attachment 106553View attachment 106557View attachment 106558
How much are you looking for? Will probably be out my budget but no harm in asking I guess...

David

^ Those alloys will fit your E63 Tom.
As you say, they will fetch a good price.

Thank you for clarifying this Roger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom