From RX-8 to E320 CDi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pathatchelt

Hi, as the proud new owner of an '04 E320 CDi (I pick it up as soon as the cherished plate transfer is complete), I'd be interested in any opinions on the comments regarding this car I saw on Honest John's website. The negatives stated for this car included electrical and electronic problems; leaking high pressure diesel injectors and, most worrying, problems with the automatic transmission oil coolers leaking into the engine coolant. I bought the car from a Mercedes main dealer and it comes with a years warranty. Every other review I've read was very positive so I'm puzzled by this one. My wife has an SLK (13,000 miles in almost 7 years!) and it's been faultless.
TIA

That's some change of vehicle you've gone for there - the RX-8 is an interesting car technically but the rotary engine produces a feeble amount of torque. So you're going from that to a 320CDi, which can pull tree stumps out at tickover.. you'll really have to change your driving style!!

There's quite a few thread on the issues that concern you, have a search of the forums or I'm sure some kind 320CDi owner will point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Gaz

RX-8 to E320 CDi

You're absolutely right about the differences! I drove to Cornwall to see my brand new grandson a couple of weekends ago in the RX-8 and it took us 9 hours to get there! My wife was most unimpressed and I think it made me realise that maybe it was time for a change - the car not the wife! I've had the RX-8 for three years and before that an XJ8 and before that an E280 so the RX-8 is the odd one out really. Lovely car but you do have to work the gearbox to get it going. Mid-life crisis probably made me buy it.

The leaking radiator issue shouldn't affect you as that was prior to sept 2003..

There have been electrical issues and leaking injectors.
Before you accept delivery of the car remove the engine acoustic shield on top of the engine and look at the injectors. If they look ok then all is well, if they have horrible carbon deposits built up all around them then they are leaking. Just get the dealer to sort them before acceptance.

Following on from Dieselman's excellent advice check EVERY electrical option that you can see. Hopefully all the electronic teething problems will have been sorted and the only ongoing niggle can be the Easy Exit\Entrance feature (if fitted)

I would very politely ask the dealer if the car has had all the service upgrades\recalls etc. They are bound to say yes, but it would be reassuring if they actually checked with the service department.

I'm sure you will love the car and have many enjoyable miles of motoring.

Have you considered taking out a ServicePlus contract?

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom