FTSE falls again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
So it's another day of huge losses on the world markets.

I'm by no means a regular trader, I just have a few stocks and shares here and there as a long term saving.

At what point does it become "very cheap" to be buying shares again?

I know this is the $64,000 question, but the performance of many companies is way ahead of their perceived share value and there has to be a point where it's time to buy.

Is this just lemming like hysteria, computer programmed selling, shorting or will the price start to reflect value soon when good sense has returned.

Any comments chaps?

Honestly, no one really "Knows".

At best the market is irrational, at it's worst it is criminal.

We are also in one of the most strange monetary periods in developed economic history where free market democracy has caught up with itself and bitten it's own back side.

I'm not quite sure where we are going now, one thing I can tell you as a business owner (and not a stock trader) is we are not at the bottom yet.

It is going to get worse. Now if I could only work out what "It" is I'd be loaded.

In May 1999 sold my shares when Footsie was at 6,900. That is 12 years with no growth. Now allow for inflation and it should be over 10,000 now just to have given zero real growth. We are exporting many of our jobs to China and the Far East in the fond belief that 'free' trade is good for us -even when China rigs the exchange rate.

And if Gold today had kept pace with inflation it would be 2500 dollars per ounce and not 1700 or so.

Indexed linked bonds are the only sensible buy in a world where all are printing bucketfulls of money to prop up economies which are being savaged by goods from the Far East.

Nat Savings do some indexed bonds. Stock market has many others.

Only Financial Advisers and fools believe that markets always trend upwards long term. Not long ago the Nickkei was at 12,500. Couple of days ago it was 8,750. Now go back to the 80's and it was at over 36,000. Yes, it really was.

Last edited:
Perhaps if people spent more time worrying about dividend income than they did on gambling on the value of stocks the world may be a more stable place?

The problem is most peoples pension fund is being gambled away on the money markets and you dont have much of a choice.

If I did have a choice I would have asked to move my pension pot out of the markets and into some kind of tracker or something stable for the time being. Instread I just keep getting email alerts saying my fund has lost 5% of its value every other week or so.

gold kruggerands is the future

i bought 10 for £980 each this may now if i sold them back to the company they are paying £1,135.02 (thats a £155 profit per coin = £1,550 in 4 months)

BUT

on ebay they currently selling for £1,400 to £1,600 (thats a £400 minimum profit per coin = £4,200 in 4 months)

better than spending it on the CL55 that i wanted which would now be worth about £1,000 ish less IF i could sell it

worse thing is i had the money to buy these 4 years ago when £500 each!

p.s in case they are any bad people watching all of the above is a damn lie and i actually bought chocolate coins

p.p.s ive eaten all the chocolate

gold_6_month_o_b_usd.png

33% rise in 6 months (thats 24 carat and kruggerands are 22 carat)

gold_1_year_o_b_usd.png

49% rise in the last year

gold_2_year_o_b_usd.png

96% rise in the last two years

and the long term bit ....

gold_10_year_o_b_usd.png

a 568% rise in 10 years!

now now ladies please no crying in front of your monitors

Last edited:
Pity you don't show 1980 to today plotted against inflation when you would see that Gold has failed even to earn zero real (above inflation). And it pays no dividends remember.

Gold does well when the unexpected happens. But we are not good at predicting the unexpected are we?:) Nobody would be that surprised if Gold fell back a long way over the next ten years. It is as good a gamble as Stoke City I guess.

The FTSE is up today. Presumably all the experts who were in the 'sell sell sell' camp two days ago have changed what passes for their minds.

Again.

The problem is most peoples pension fund is being gambled away on the money markets and you dont have much of a choice.

If I did have a choice I would have asked to move my pension pot out of the markets and into some kind of tracker or something stable for the time being. Instread I just keep getting email alerts saying my fund has lost 5% of its value every other week or so.

My thoughts exactly, difficult to do anything but watch the pension fund jump up and down in value. I also hate the fact that we are at the mercy of the market conditions at retirement time. It can make so much difference for the rest of our pensionable life, whether the market is on a high or a low at the time of maturity.

:doh::(:(:( Just checked my pension. I had been putting it off but you tweaked my curiosity, you swine. Where's the rope?:wallbash:

Pity you don't show 1980 to today plotted against inflation when you would see that Gold has failed even to earn zero real (above inflation). And it pays no dividends remember.

Gold does well when the unexpected happens. But we are not good at predicting the unexpected are we?:) Nobody would be that surprised if Gold fell back a long way over the next ten years. It is as good a gamble as Stoke City I guess.

a paper bug then?

So it is actually lemmings syndrome then is it stratman?

Certainly an element of that. Self fulfilling, of course.

Oh well, look on the bright side chaps. The FTSE may have fallen, at least petrol is still on the up!

Oh well, look on the bright side chaps. The FTSE may have fallen, at least petrol is still on the up!

Crude oil down, petrol up. Someone is doing OK, and its not me.
mad.gif

the 30 year growth

gold_30_year_o_b_usd.png

still 327%

id rather have coins that i can sell straight away that in 6 months will have made £5k profit than dabble in the markets where my mate has been dabbling for a couple of years and is £10k down then up a bit then down a bit

:doh::(:(:( Just checked my pension. I had been putting it off but you tweaked my curiosity, you swine. Where's the rope?:wallbash:

Are you retiring soon?

No...what's your worry?

Yes...fire your adviser for leaving you exposed when you should be largely in cash.

the 30 year growth

gold_30_year_o_b_usd.png

still 327%

id rather have coins that i can sell straight away that in 6 months will have made £5k profit than dabble in the markets where my mate has been dabbling for a couple of years and is £10k down then up a bit then down a bit

it's mostly ideological. some people have a perverse 'markets know best' attitude.

it's only the last 30 years that have been held hostage by the fiat experiment and look at where that has got us. the 3000 years before the only real currency has been precious metals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom