Garmin Dashcam Footage Contradicts Notice of Prosecution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw 2 revenue earning vans out yesterday in their regular spots, one had moved from the Prestatyn bends along the coast road further away from Prestatyn maybe 3 hours later as I went t'other way.
It's that time of year when the Heddlu seem to want to deter tourists again (I'm not).

I'm interested where they got you that is so dangerous at 35mph (I've no issue with safety related strategies btw).
It was on the A5026, Holway Rd., Holywell to Carmel (that used to be the old A55. The van is always on the south side of the road but not always parked in exactly the same place. The location does allow a long view of the fairly straight road.
Was the Prestatyn van east or west of the bends location when you traveled the other way?

I got done for 35mph in 30mph zone about 6 weeks ago, they sent me two photos and a video clip plus the calibration cert for the equipment.
It took me less than a minute to plead guilty on line, pay £90 to local council for a 3 hour speed awareness course on line. The course is in mid Sept and if you don't logon within a few minutes of the allotted time they refer your case back to the police. Having no points is far better for your Insurance premium than maybe winning a battle in court with all the time and possible expense that you may incur, even if you win.
As BTB500 has stated, the lazer cams have a remarkably long range so that it's just possible that they got me during the very few seconds when I was over the limit. My dashcam footage does not have enough resolution for me to clearly see if the van is evident at that point. I may try to find software that might allow me to magnify the dashcam view.
I was zapped by a fixed cam in Cardiff a couple of years ago and did a speed awareness course and avoided points. I shall probably be awarded points this time around - hence my earlier inclination to challenge the charge.
I shall ask the police for the video footage to check the precise location but it looks as if I shall just shut up and pay up!
Many thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread.

I was zapped by a fixed cam in Cardiff a couple of years ago and did a speed awareness course and avoided points. I shall probably be awarded points this time around - hence my earlier inclination to challenge the charge.

You can do a SAC every 3 years ... they have a record of this and should automatically offer you one if it was at least that long ago (and your speed was below a certain threshold, which 35 definitely would be). Good luck!

It was on the A5026, Holway Rd., Holywell to Carmel (that used to be the old A55. The van is always on the south side of the road but not always parked in exactly the same place. The location does allow a long view of the fairly straight road.
Was the Prestatyn van east or west of the bends location when you traveled the other way?
I'm familiar with the road you were caught on. Depending on time for me returning I might follow the coast road through to pick up the M56, but not if schools are out. Otherwise I take the acute right at Greenfield and up to Holywell. Where I pick up the 30 limit is after where you were caught I'm guessing as there are some bends and then into the 40 limit. further down where it straightens is a good van location but it's 50 limit there.

Going into Prestatyn on the coast road I expect to see the van scanning the long straight where it has dropped from 60 to 30, for no good reason as I can see. 40 would be slow enough. It's south side looking back toward Nant Hall.
Later the 2 vans were both sited on the south side along the coast road, although 1 was looking back west toward the Prestatyn direction, in a 40 limit.

There are so many strange and changing limits it's easy to get caught.
Years ago I was caught doing 36 in the 30 limit, that I seem to remember was a 50 at one time, in Meliden. I took the silly revenue creating course that served tea and biscuits at a nice hotel in Chesterfield.

There are so many strange and changing limits it's easy to get caught.

The technology in newer Mercs that displays the current speed limit (and optionally flashes/beeps if you go over it) isn't infallible, but can be pretty handy. Our W205 has that, but unfortunately not the ability to import personal POIs (speed camera locations)!

Reactions: m80
The technology in newer Mercs that displays the current speed limit (and optionally flashes/beeps if you go over it) isn't infallible, but can be pretty handy. Our W205 has that, but unfortunately not the ability to import personal POIs (speed camera locations)!
I run with Tom Tom (mainly for traffic update), I think I can set audible alarms but leave it to go a sort of orange and then red. But same reliability really, it isn't up to date.

I run with Tom Tom (mainly for traffic update), I think I can set audible alarms but leave it to go a sort of orange and then red. But same reliability really, it isn't up to date.

Tomtom (which we use in the Vito) has the speed limit for a road as part of the map data ... this is better than nothing but is frequently out of date (even on the latest maps). The MB system uses a camera to read the speed limit signs - this includes overhead gantries etc. on motorways, which is particularly handy when the limit is going up & down. It's surprisingly good (but of course not 100% perfect).

Reactions: m80
You can do a SAC every 3 years ... they have a record of this and should automatically offer you one if it was at least that long ago (and your speed was below a certain threshold, which 35 definitely would be). Good luck!
I don't have a note of the date of the Cardiff infringement but doubt it was 3 years ago, but I guess I'll find out one day soon!

I was driving my wife's Kia Venga so no technology available other than the dashcam. It does warn of speed limits but not all are noted, particularly on stretches of road with frequently changing limits.

There may well have been an error in the police camera and/or procedure, but you have to weigh up whether it’s worth the stress and potential expense of taking such a matter to court. I personally don’t think the slight discrepancy in time will render the charge inadmissible. It’s a notice of intended prosecution that’s all, indicating they have (what they feel) is firm evidence that the vehicle registered in your name was speeding. Fair enough if you were abroad at the time etc with the car - then the case might be one of a cloaned vehicle etc. but I think the relatively trivial discrepancy will not be enough to convince a court that a calibrated speed camera was incorrect. We all know the law is sometimes not fair, and this may be one of those cases where it is simpler to accept a fine, with no points and a speeding course with tea and biscuits than attempt to prove your innocence.

Seems the police have a huge resource to catch people speeding but criminal cases that really affect peoples life's such as assaults, violent crime, sexual abuse etc has the bare minimum thrown at it.

That's my perception. Its a real shame...
I would not think speed enforcement by camera van would require much by way of resources; once they have the kit - a one-off cost - all it costs is a retired copper to drive and operate the van, and download the footage, and everything else is automated. The revenue raised does not go to the police force involved, so they have no financial incentive to raise it.

If you really feel that you are not guilty, try the following option:

If you ticked the legal cover box with your car insurance, have a word with the insurance company who will pass you on to their solicitors if you have paid for the service. They will review the evidence at no charge to you to see if it can be fought and if they feel it can be fought it will not cost you in legal fees as it is covered via your insurance company.

I used the service a coupe of years ago when I was being charged regardless of video footage showing that I was not guilty. I was represented by Stevensons who are a highly reputable motoring offence solicitors via my insurance company. They took the case to court and won.

I got done for 35mph in 30mph zone about 6 weeks ago, they sent me two photos and a video clip plus the calibration cert for the equipment.
It took me less than a minute to plead guilty on line, pay £90 to local council for a 3 hour speed awareness course on line. The course is in mid Sept and if you don't logon within a few minutes of the allotted time they refer your case back to the police. Having no points is far better for your Insurance premium than maybe winning a battle in court with all the time and possible expense that you may incur, even if you win.
I did see a comment a while ago along the lines of either ….some insurance companies don’t increase your premium for your first points , or some insurance companies increase your premium for attending the speed awareness course ?? I can’t remember the exact details but it’s maybe worth checking with your insurance what the different penalties are .
Just in case doing the speed awareness course either wastes your time or gets a premium increase anyway .

I did see a comment a while ago along the lines of either ….some insurance companies don’t increase your premium for your first points , or some insurance companies increase your premium for attending the speed awareness course ?? I can’t remember the exact details but it’s maybe worth checking with your insurance what the different penalties are .
Just in case doing the speed awareness course either wastes your time or gets a premium increase anyway .

A few insurance companies do ask about SACs, and if so you are obliged to disclose having been on one. Same with points for speeding - the old 'rule' was that there was no insurance penalty for a first offence, but that's not universally the case now. Also 'no fault / no claim' accidents - you can find your premium going up after being involved in just one of those. So as always you need to shop around!

If you really feel that you are not guilty, try the following option:

If you ticked the legal cover box with your car insurance, have a word with the insurance company who will pass you on to their solicitors if you have paid for the service. They will review the evidence at no charge to you to see if it can be fought and if they feel it can be fought it will not cost you in legal fees as it is covered via your insurance company.

I used the service a coupe of years ago when I was being charged regardless of video footage showing that I was not guilty. I was represented by Stevensons who are a highly reputable motoring offence solicitors via my insurance company. They took the case to court and won.
I have looked again at my dashcam footage and there was a period of approximately 5 seconds when I exceeded 30mph. At that moment the police van was just about visible half hidden by another parked van, on the horizon on a gentle uphill slope. I have since measured the distance on Google maps and I was 340 metres from the van.
I have also received the fixed penalty notice for a £100 fine and three points, which I shall not contest.
Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

What did the pepipoo experts say?
I looked at their forums and concluded that in my case I could be easily found guilty. Thanks for the tip anyway, but I hope that I shall not need to contact them in the future!

Again my Brother 35 nicked £90 do the course, on-road barley used, so at the cost of fuel that filled the tank. PS in over 60 years driving has never been done before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom