Gatsos--the honeymoon is over?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
It would appear that the honeymoon period for motorists where lots of Gatsos round the country were switched off may be over after 24 police forces secured the right to use "speeder " money to pay for their Gatso operations.
GATSOS are back | News | Auto Express

It would appear that the honeymoon period for motorists where lots of Gatsos round the country were switched off may be over after 24 police forces secured the right to use "speeder " money to pay for their Gatso operations.
GATSOS are back | News | Auto Express

Which kind of resolves the reasoning behind the switch-off being money and nothing to do with whether the cameras are effective or ineffective.

Absolutely. This is a tweaked carbon-copy of the original, totally discredited, funding model. As always, follow the money and you'll find the motivation. ACPO isn't a private company for nothing.

Forget moving them to accident blackspots! Just turn the cash cow back on.
Obviously to the drivers like "ourselves" that "never" break the speed limit we will not be affected.

Come again. The Association of Chief Police Officers is a private company??

Last edited:
Whoosh. Thats gone straight over the top now. Too much festive spirit for me today. Ill come back another day and get my head round the The Associations of Chief Police Officers. and The Chief Police Officers Association
The former has governance and forms/procastinates policy the later is the union, methinks.

company limited by guarantee - quite a common structure for charities/not for profit organisations (though ACPO is not a registered charity)

company limited by guarantee - quite a common structure for charities/not for profit organisations (though ACPO is not a registered charity)

I was told, with no facts to back it up that ACPO own the firm that operates many of the Speed Awareness Courses.

I recently attended a Speed Awareness Course , and was told that all the money raised went straight back into the courses. Our "class" was the fourth one being held in Bristol that day , with around 40 people , each having to pay a fine of £60. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:crazy:

Best to use the technolegy that MB put in your cars......

The cruise control and the speed limiter :D

( and also most (if not all) modern sat navs have most speed camera's logged into them.)

Absolutely. This is a tweaked carbon-copy of the original, totally discredited, funding model. As always, follow the money and you'll find the motivation. ACPO isn't a private company for nothing.
:eek::eek::eek:

Well you learn something new every days. Did not know that!!

:ban:

Several areas turned the cameras off and observed how it went. Problem was that most people tore past them like it was Christmas and so they turned them back on. If the idiots had just kept driving calmly then the cameras in a lot of areas would still be staying off.

Not the same as a private commercial company.

It's a legal entity with governance.
And, far too conveniently for a body that has it's stated purpose as
ACPO leads and coordinates the direction and development of the police service in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
In times of national need ACPO, on behalf of all chief officers, coordinates the strategic policing response.
it is not required to comply with the Freedom of Information Act.

So, a body that has major influence in setting policing policy and that benefits financially from that policy, cannot be scrutinised through the same channels that (almost) any other public body can. Flag of Convenience, anyone?

Best to use the technolegy that MB put in your cars......

The cruise control and the speed limiter :D

( and also most (if not all) modern sat navs have most speed camera's logged into them.)

Does the Sat Nav on COMMAND have them built in? If so where is it? Do you have to switch it on or am I right in thinking this is not a feature?

Several areas turned the cameras off and observed how it went. Problem was that most people tore past them like it was Christmas and so they turned them back on. If the idiots had just kept driving calmly then the cameras in a lot of areas would still be staying off.
Exactly so. If all would obey the speed limits there would be no need for cameras.

I do not think they are just about raising money. Cameras cost money to install and run. Why not use the money raised in fines to pay the costs of the scheme? Seems good sense to me. Those who break the rules (and get caught) pay for the costs, instead of taxing others to pay instead.

We all slip over the various limits from time to time because we are human, but cameras have made many at least attempt to stick to the limits -or close- if only to retain the driving licence. And gradually it becomes a habit. Hit a child at 40 and 80% die; hit one at 30 and 80% live. The cameras are there for a reason. Not just money.

Exactly so. If all would obey the speed limits there would be no need for cameras.

I do not think they are just about raising money. Cameras cost money to install and run. Why not use the money raised in fines to pay the costs of the scheme? Seems good sense to me. Those who break the rules (and get caught) pay for the costs, instead of taxing others to pay instead.

We all slip over the various limits from time to time because we are human, but cameras have made many at least attempt to stick to the limits -or close- if only to retain the driving licence. And gradually it becomes a habit. Hit a child at 40 and 80% die; hit one at 30 and 80% live. The cameras are there for a reason. Not just money.
Cameras play a vital role in road safety and accident reduction. However, they have also been mis-used as a money making tool.

A few years ago the Government was forced to act to ensure that all fixed cameras were painted bright yellow and not sited out of view.

And where I live (and I'm sure it's the same everywhere else) the mobile cameras are always sited on fairly busy roads where they can catch large numbers of people driving a few miles an hour over the speed limit (and often where the limit will be quite low for the type of road) rather than on quieter stretches were they could have caught a few genuine maniacs driving at twice the limit or more.

For years all types of camera have been an important asset who's application has been widely subverted.

And, far too conveniently for a body that has it's stated purpose asit is not required to comply with the Freedom of Information Act.

So, a body that has major influence in setting policing policy and that benefits financially from that policy, cannot be scrutinised through the same channels that (almost) any other public body can. Flag of Convenience, anyone?

Rubbish.

This sort of structure is common for various charity and interest groups.

It's not subject to FOI because ... it's non-government.

And surprise surprise - the tradition in this country is that the police keep some separation from HMG.

So basically it's not worth reading too much into it - which is what you're doing - because they've used a perfectly logical means to setup their organisation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom