• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Getting Insurance for driving to the Garage for MOT & Repairs Insured when Sorned and MOT Expired

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
MY 320 TE W124 has been off the road for most of this year ( SORNED ) I have been sourcing a new Autobox for it as reverse has failed completely However
I need to Drive it from Home to the Garage I thought Id use an Hourly / Daily Insurance company as 1hr was £16.70 but the conditions state that the vehicle cant be SORNED so thats out now
When The MOT expired I did not have a gearbox for it so it couldnt be MOT'd so its expired
So Tax isnt a problem as I'm allowed to drive it there if its booked in for an MOT but Insurance may be as its SORNED and has no Valid MOT but I'm sure it would pass as roadworthy the term often used to mean your car is still covered if it is deemed roadworthy if your MOT lapses
Is a Classic Policy likely to allow me to drive it there ?
Boyd

Tax isn't a problem?

Without an MOT and Insurance you cannot apply for RFL

As far as driving it for an MOT where the MOT has expired you may only do so if you have a booking at an MOT station.

You still need insurance and a valid RFL and you can still be prosecuted on the way to a booked MOT appointment if stopped and the car is found to be in a a dangerous condition.

The differences (in England at least) are the penalties if found driving without RFL (a potential fine and backdated RFL payment) but driving without valid Insurance brings an automatic 6 points and a fine plus tconfiscstion of vehicle.

You can drive a SRONed to car on a public road to a pre-scheduled MOT test, so no need to pay VED until you're ready to take the car off SORN. With regards insurance, call your insurer and ask them what they can offer.

Last edited:
Also, most policies stipulate that the car must be roadworthy and have a valid MOT certificate, so a standard motor policy won't cover you on the way to the MOT testing centre - talk to your insurer....

"Can you drive a SORN car to an MOT station without insurance?

Quite simply – no. You cannot drive a car to an MOT station without insurance – and if you do, you could be subject to prosecution, fixed-penalty fines – and possibly even have your car confiscated and destroyed.

There is some confusion in this area – but confusion doesn’t mean you can break the law. While it is legal to drive a SORN car with no MOT to a pre-booked appointment at an MOT station – the car must be insured. What’s more, you should check your insurance documents if you plan to drive your car to a garage without an MOT or tax, as some companies declare your insurance void without these. If your insurance is void, you’re effectively driving without any insurance – so it’s vital that you check with your cover provider.

If you find that you’re not insured to drive without an MOT or tax, it’s worth getting a quote for temporary car insurance; finding short term cover from a company who will allow you to deliver your car to the garage."

Last edited:
This exactly. One man car transporters in our area charge £40 for local pick up and delivery. Not worth risking anything.
Very true.

The only issue I can see with this is you wouldn’t have the chance to give the car a good ‘Italian tune’ on the way to the test.

You can sit in it on the trailer and rev the nuts off it! 🤣🤣
Not a bad idea. 😂😅

MY 320 TE W124 has been off the road for most of this year ( SORNED ) I have been sourcing a new Autobox for it as reverse has failed completely However
I need to Drive it from Home to the Garage I thought Id use an Hourly / Daily Insurance company as 1hr was £16.70 but the conditions state that the vehicle cant be SORNED so thats out now
When The MOT expired I did not have a gearbox for it so it couldnt be MOT'd so its expired
Sow Tax isnt a problem as I'm allowed to drive it there if its booked in for an MOT but Insurance may be as its SORNED and has no Valid MOT but I'm sure it would pass as roadworthy the term often used to mean your car is still covered if it is deemed roadworthy if your MOT lapses
Is a Classic Policy likely to allow me to drive it there ?
Boyd
Hi , could be wrong but from memory you have to have the car MOT yet conducted at a test station close to your home !

Hi , could be wrong but from memory you have to have the car MOT yet conducted at a test station close to your home !
Incorrect.

Just checked this... yes they do have an MOT garage over there: :D

Screenshot-20221117-181929-Chrome.jpg

As above.

You can live in Land's End and book a pre-scheduled MOT test in John o' Groats... all perfectly legal :)
I don’t think a police officer would look too favourably on it though. 😂

I always find threads like these must get so disorienting for people who are already a bit confused!

OP - all you need is a pre-booked MOT and valid third party insurance.

The vehicle should be roadworthy, but this has nothing to do with your current situation - that applies to all vehicles driven on UK roads regardless of age or MOT/TAX status etc. You can have an unroadworthy vehicle with a year’s MOT and likewise have a vehicle that is totally roadworthy with no MOT, they’re not connected.

I’m a bit confused though with this bit:

What’s changed though now - you could not have driven it for an MOT test before? But now you can?

I would call your current insurance company and explain what you have to us here, asking to add a temporary additional vehicle, otherwise take out a new policy (checking the T&Cs of course!) - you usually have 14-days to cancel anyway - but you may want insurance for the car if you have got it MOT’d and repaired anyway?

Would a solution be for a friend to drive it to the MoT centre using the insurance for their own car which insures them when driving a vehicle not owned by them? My insurance specifically states that ‘the policyholder may drive with the owner’s permission a private motor vehicle not owned or registered or hired to the policyholder’.

Would a solution be for a friend to drive it to the MoT centre using the insurance for their own car which insures them when driving a vehicle not owned by them? My insurance specifically states that ‘the policyholder may drive with the owner’s permission a private motor vehicle not owned or registered or hired to the policyholder’.
I believe for that to be legal the car needs to be insured in the first place by it's owner/keeper.

Methinks that such a vehicle still needs to be roadworthy (ie MoT’d), taxed, and also insured by its owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom