• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

GLA 200 Reverse Camera calibration every time you start

stevetemple999

Car
GLA 200 AMG Executive
If you have the same issue please read the details below and
My dealership spent 3 weeks with software update, renewed camera control unit and replacement camera then to be informed this is per design is a ploy to stop complaints.
I have sent this to [email protected] as I was informed by the dealer ship (SYTNER Sunderland UK) that MB will not resolve if a threshold is not attained
You need to raise this with MB and your dealership.
GLA 200 2023 New model Executive AMG

Reverse Camera repeated deployment/retraction recalibration on every ignition start.

A very frustrating and irrational function for vehicle performance.

I cannot understand the repeated Reverse Camera recalibration program at each ignition start.

The requirement to drive at less the 30KPH and not to deviate steering by 10 Deg to complete this calibration is non-sensible.

If the vehicle is driven more than 30KPH the camera retracts

Less than 20KPH the camera redeploys.

This is repeated for numerous cycles until it decides that recalibration cannot be achieved.

To design a component to fail in its lifecycle will result in expensive replacement in the future.

The software program is poorly designed and ill conceived and needs to be elevated through to the MB factory for resolution.

Options to consider in a review of the program logic.

• Do not deploy the camera in forward drive.
  • Cancel the recalibration program cycle if the vehicle is in the forward drive above 30KPH.
  • If the Reverse Camera needs a recalibration requirement the tolerances of GOOD/NO GOOD bandwidth need to be greater than what is in the program logic at present.
Questions

• Why does the Reverse Camera deploy even when you go directly to forward drive mode?
  • For the Reverse Camera to complete a recalibration at every ignition start they must be some safety requirement in its design for the vehicle to be driven?
  • Does the PARKTRONIC feature need this detailed calibration in its functionality and if errors exist in its calibration has an adverse impact on the vehicles safety features?
  • Does the Reverse Camera when the car is selected to reverse require this feature and is integrated within the rear sensors for collision calibration?
  • If this is not the case then why does this functionality exist and the vehicle continues to recalibrate for multiple cycles until it stops.
  • If recalibration is not required then why is the feature installed in the 1st place?

I have exactly the same problem with my A Class and since I bought the car in November it has spent more time at the dealer than I have had it.

I have exactly the same problem with my A Class and since I bought the car in November it has spent more time at the dealer than I have had it.
I sold the car back to the dealer
Lost 7 grand in VAT
MB UK wouldnt even answer my e mails.
I spread the word never by a MB
Even the dealer said it was an issue however as you by direct from MB for a new car the dealer say its not their problem bunch of thieves

I sold the car back to the dealer
Lost 7 grand in VAT
MB UK wouldnt even answer my e mails.
I spread the word never by a MB
Even the dealer said it was an issue however as you by direct from MB for a new car the dealer say its not their problem bunch of thieves
So sorry to hear that was your experience. That's the thing I am finding very difficult to navigate is the fact of the relationship of buying the car from Mercedes with their new model of selling. I've had not one reply from them to my multiple emails.

I think I've found the solution for you.!! I also just bought the new release A200 in Xmas 2023. The rear view camera sound was so annoying that I had to return the car twice to fix. The first time they said it was fixed but the problem remained. I was given a new courtesy car then, an A250 and it also makes the exact annoying sound every time I slowed down to make corners or even at traffic lights. So after the first unsuccessful repair, my wife told me to accept it as such (a 'feature'), since the courtesy car also had the same problem. I refused to accept that and took it back again. The service dept tried to explain to me why the camera needs to recalibrate etc but I argued 'that's fine but as a driver I don't need to be reminded of it !!'

The problem was due to rear view camera being slightly obstructed by the number plate cover and it couldn't fully descend and hence did not complete its calbration cycle. So it keeps on trying to do that whilst the car is in motion. Solution is to trim off part of the plate cover (see attached pic) and now my car does not make those constant annoying sound. The camera do still calibrates but quite softly and much less often. PROBLEM RESOLVED.

Attachments

• 20240306_164510.jpg
    20240306_164510.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240306_165420.jpg
    20240306_165420.jpg
    865.2 KB · Views: 17
I have a 2024 A class with the same camera calibration issue and raised a separate post about it if you want to check that one out. Picked up my A class from its first service and received an update on the camera situation. The reason given for the requirement for calibration is that it is linked to the rear cross traffic alert safety system. Not sure how this is related but it sounds possible. At the moment there is nothing being done about it by MB as it is not considered a fault as such. There are a lot of people complaining about this and more new cars are coming out that include this camera calibration issue so the dealership has said all it can do is continue to raise complaints in the hope that MB may eventually feel it has to do something about it. In the meantime I will just have to live with it.

Picked up my new GLA 180 from Brooklands 3 weeks ago on Easter Saturday. Having spent some time searching for a loose object rattling round in the boot I then realised it was the reversing camera deploying. This is just ridiculous and hard to believe that a prestigious manufacturer cannot solve this small problem. I have had 3 M/Benz C Class in recent years and this problem never appeared on any of those.
Hey Mercedes!! FINGER OUT and get this sorted.

Last edited:
Looks like we have joined this select group.
Collected our new GLA last month and have recently experienced what seemed like a loose or rolling object noise from somewhere in the boot during most journeys.
Like other OP’s on here we searched high and low around the boot area before finding time to visit the Mercedes dealer
who tell us it’s likely the reversing camera doing things it shouldn’t and it’s now booked in with them.
Pity I didn’t look on here first but there you go.
Judging by comments on here it’s been a problem for some time and one wonders why Mercedes apparently continue to supply faulty parts.

Looks like we have joined this select group.
Collected our new GLA last month and have recently experienced what seemed like a loose or rolling object noise from somewhere in the boot during most journeys.
Like other OP’s on here we searched high and low around the boot area before finding time to visit the Mercedes dealer
who tell us it’s likely the reversing camera doing things it shouldn’t and it’s now booked in with them.
Pity I didn’t look on here first but there you go.
Judging by comments on here it’s been a problem for some time and one wonders why Mercedes apparently continue to supply faulty parts.
According to M/B this is not a malfunction!! They then go on to say "Complete the calibration successfully. For this, the vehicle must be driven forwards for a certain time (usually less than one minute) at a speed <30 km/h and a steering wheel angle less than 10 degrees
This should be done in daylight and with no vehicles driving closely behind. The camera must be able to see the asphalt.
When calibration is successful the camera flap closes automatically "

Well to coin a well known phrase "You couldn't make it up"
I will be most interested to hear how you get on with your Mercedes dealer.

According to M/B this is not a malfunction!! They then go on to say "Complete the calibration successfully. For this, the vehicle must be driven forwards for a certain time (usually less than one minute) at a speed <30 km/h and a steering wheel angle less than 10 degrees
This should be done in daylight and with no vehicles driving closely behind. The camera must be able to see the asphalt.
When calibration is successful the camera flap closes automatically "

Well to coin a well known phrase "You couldn't make it up"
I will be most interested to hear how you get on with your Mercedes dealer.
That’s an eye opener, thanks. I’ll have to get down to some serious calibration sometime (and I thought we would just enjoy the new car).
It’s booked in for the 10th so I’ll report back.
On a lighter note I see you live in New Malden.
I doubt that we would recognise it now but my wife and I both lived there in, oh dear, the 1960’s.
I worked for about 13 years at a large manufacturing company called Venner at Shannon Corner, roughly where B&Q/Halfords is now.
I was employed within the electronics division and worked my way up from Test Engineer, into Service, then Sales, and finally as Manager until the AMF bowling alley people gained control and wiped us off the map.
Good times and good memories.
Enjoy.

FourWheels I believe this calibration fiasco has to be carried out at the beginning of every journey. This has been raised on other M/B forums but it would appear that Mercedes just dig their heels in and say it is not a fault, strange how other models do not have this.
I have raised this on their Facebook page and they have responded with the Customer Services telephone number and Email address, but I think other folks have already been down that route to no avail.
Re New Malden, Venner's, Shannon Corner etc I wanted to send you a PM but apparently you need to have made 30 posts before you can do that.

@Hollington.
Yes it is a fiasco particularly as according to the Xentry letter they have known about the issue since 2017.

I note on here somebody in Australia has the same problem so it’s obviously worldwide. Why do manufactures duck issues that affect image nowadays?

I bought a particularly rubbish new model Jaguar Xe in 2015. Only kept it 18 months because of the ‘reluctance’ of Jaguar to correct the problems that we were all having.

Hope I’m not going there again!

Over a 2.5 mile drive today I heard that thing shuffling around 7 times, amazing how loud it is inside the car.

New Malden.

Were you involved with Venner in some way? Sorry if I’m talking about something before your time, for me from about the age of 19 it was a big part of my life.

Somewhere I have a photo of that area during the construction of the flyover but I can’t lay my hands on it at the moment.

I would like to hear from you but I’m reluctant to put my email address on here.

@Hollington.
Yes it is a fiasco particularly as according to the Xentry letter they have known about the issue since 2017.

I note on here somebody in Australia has the same problem so it’s obviously worldwide. Why do manufactures duck issues that affect image nowadays?

I bought a particularly rubbish new model Jaguar Xe in 2015. Only kept it 18 months because of the ‘reluctance’ of Jaguar to correct the problems that we were all having.

Hope I’m not going there again!

Over a 2.5 mile drive today I heard that thing shuffling around 7 times, amazing how loud it is inside the car.

New Malden.

Were you involved with Venner in some way? Sorry if I’m talking about something before your time, for me from about the age of 19 it was a big part of my life.

Somewhere I have a photo of that area during the construction of the flyover but I can’t lay my hands on it at the moment.

I would like to hear from you but I’m reluctant to put my email address on here.
Certainly not talking before my time I can assure you. I am also reluctant put too much personal stuff on here. I would PM you on here but I do not have the requisite number of posts, which I understand is 30.

My C Class started this calibration sequence a couple of years ago when it was 4 or 5 years old, despite following the above instructions to the letter over a two month period it refused to fix itself. One day, it just stopped doing it and hasn't done it again since maybe three years ago. it was however extremely annoying to hear the camera everytime you stopped or started.

My C Class started this calibration sequence a couple of years ago when it was 4 or 5 years old, despite following the above instructions to the letter over a two month period it refused to fix itself. One day, it just stopped doing it and hasn't done it again since maybe three years ago. it was however extremely annoying to hear the camera everytime you stopped or started.
Ah, so I’ve got 4 or 5 years to go 🙁
Trouble is mine does it constantly while driving.
First, I’ll see what the Dealer appointment achieves.

Certainly not talking before my time I can assure you. I am also reluctant put too much personal stuff on here. I would PM you on here but I do not have the requisite number of posts, which I understand is 30.
@Hollington The 30 posts thing is frustrating but understandable.
We’ve obviously got things in common, are you on Facebook/Messenger?

That's surprising, I thought it was just the GLA and A Class saloon that had this fault. I have had three C Class saloons over the last few years and never experienced this problem with any of them.
What annoys me is that this was never mentioned by any of the sales staff at Brooklands Mercedes, and yet I have since found out that they do know about it.

That's surprising, I thought it was just the GLA and A Class saloon that had this fault. I have had three C Class saloons over the last few years and never experienced this problem with any of them.
What annoys me is that this was never mentioned by any of the sales staff at Brooklands Mercedes, and yet I have since found out that they do know about it.
I think there are actually two different issues here. Some MB cars can experience an issue with camera calibration on an occasional basis and that should be able to be cleared by following the instructions outlined in one of the above posts. I believe this could affect my MB car. The second issue is that some 2023 model cars have been redesigned such that the camera now requires to be calibrated every time the car is started and is not considered to be a fault by MB so nothing is being done about it. I know this affects all A series models such as A class, GLA etc. I lost believe it now includes the C class and perhaps others as well.

If the calibration procedure outlined in the Xentry Tips above is still true it is almost unworkable in today’s traffic conditions.

Today Mercedes pointed out the document is dated 2017 and would have been generated for pre 2020 models. They said there may well have been changes and software updates since then.
My argument then was if so why wasn’t mine updated when supplied new just a few weeks ago. The juries out on that one until mine goes in for surgery in a couple weeks.

Today my wife and I did a time travel test.

Started the car on the drive, drove out on to our residential road, and in my normal relaxed mode within seconds we were doing around 22mph (calibration asks less that 18.6mph).

By the end of the road, and without any effort, we were up to 30mph and the car clock still hadn’t clocked up a minute. (Don’t do the sums, it was a simple reality test).

The camera then spent the rest of the journey chattering away as it tried to calibrate.

Later we parked in town on a main road. On leaving we joined a slow but constantly moving traffic stream for a while.

The camera presumably calibrated because it was as quiet as a mouse all the way home.

So driven as requested the procedure seems to work.

But the procedure is just not practical in today’s traffic.

In most situations when starting and pulling away you hit the pedal and slip into a slot between moving traffic, quickly adapting to their speed.

There just isn’t time to drift along at less than 18.6mph (30km/h) for a minute. A minute is a surprisingly long time we found today.

Granted the camera seems accurate but why calibrate so often, and on each start up?

I’ve lived and worked in a world of electronics & calibration. Never have I experienced equipment requiring such frequent calibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom