• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

GLA 2017 1.6 petrol Timing chain or belt?

keith of kent

Car
E212 350 sport night edition estate , GLA 200 Sport Premium
As above. A mate was discussing his Ford Ecoboost needing a new timing belt before it all explodes, horrific!
I know my 2015 E360 OM642 has a chain, but wonder about the wife's GLA?

If its a 1.0 Ecoboost, he's probably referring to the "belt in oil" system they have....worst idea ever!!! The tiny bits that wear off the belt block the oil ways and filter pickup if you don't change the oil VERY regularly. I don't know about your car....(someone will!) but even if its belt driven it wont be one in oil. Belts are fine as long as you change them at the correct interval. Chains last longer in theory.....but on modern engines with thin chains and long OCIs its not usually the case.....and belts are LOTS more expensive to change than belts and involve a lot more work. Belts are quieter and more efficient too. DIYed the belt on my car in under three hours...which included a lot of cleaning and painting that a proper fitter would not do....two hours would be easy as a straight belt, tensioners, pulleys and water pump change.

Ha ! The dreaded 'wet belt' . No idea what they were thinking but is indeed a dumbass idea. My mate has 3 'wet belt' transits that do lots of motorway miles and has halved his oil change intervals in the hope that it helps. He will concur . you MUST use the correct oil , but what are the chances of that on a 4th hand Transit ?

I believe there are 2 belts , the shorter one (with no tensioner) runs the oil pump and I believe is the one that fails, I have also heard the actual wet timing belt has the tensioner on the driving 'tight' side 🤷‍♂️.

Pricey job as well ,I understand the belt cover is destroyed when removed and has to be replaced.

Ah, the Ford EcoBoom
M270 lump in the GLA is chain driven I believe, like the M274

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom