• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Bought an R129 unseen - a Cautionary Tale...

Nah according to at least one poster on here the R230 issues are mainly scaremongering and some can be fixed for a tenner :doh: :rolleyes:

Yeah course they can be fixed with a tenner plus a lot more tenners.

Well, the car is now mine; it was a ploy offering to take it back. I received the V5C from DVLA on Thursday, and offered the vendors £750 more - £500 when they emailed back agreeing the deal, and another £250 when I receive the service history, handbook, spare keys, sheaf of assorted other documents, and most importantly, a receipted bill of sale on Trade Car Centre stationery. They agreed pretty swiftly, so perhaps I should have offered less...

A fair enough deal, I think; I'd expected to have to replace the engine loom and distributor rotors and caps on any car I bought, so I've only spent £80 so far (the new battery) on 'unexpected' costs.

HOWEVER... the Carlsson wheels all require a refurb, and one of them has not-very-well-repaired damage that would I think require a new outer section, so I guess they're effectively scrap - I don't think there's much of a market for a set of three wheels (unless you have a Morgan...) I don't really like them anyway, so not too much of a problem, and I reckon I can get a set of reasonable wheels and tyres off FleaBay for about £300-£400. I don't really know what style I want, though; I feel a thread coming on to help me choose...

I've bought a Schwarzblau hardtop off FleaBay for £51, and will use that over the winter, then see if I want to keep it like that, or have the (undamaged) rear window transferred to the matching hardtop, when the hood comes out for the summer. The hood is black, and doesn't look out of place, so perhaps a black (almost) hardtop will not look out of place either.

Now to sort out the remaining misfire, and all the little cosmetic things that need fettling, and I'll be set for the summer by the time it comes around.

Perhaps a little more anon when I have the full history of the car, but I think this thread is almost done. I got there (and the car) in the end... :bannana:

pleased you are happy now, however sounds like a awful way of buying a car to me!

pleased you are happy now, however sounds like a awful way of buying a car to me!

It certainly has been. If I could have had a full refund the day I saw it, I'd have been better to take it and walk away. I got there in the end, but only because I was stuck with it...

At least you know where you are now and can move forward. Good luck with getting the car sorted!

Hats off to you for posting this on a forum in the first place you knew you were in for more stress . Btw I did exactly what you did with a bike . I wanted a Yamaha RD500lc and one came up on eBay , I agreed a price of £4200 with the seller I'm in Sheffield and he was in Norfolk , I got a one man band Couriour to collect it for me gave him £4200 in cash (total stranger ) I hadn't seen the bike or even herd it running in the flesh . It arrived thank god and did run but it took me 12 Months to rebuild it ,people thought I was mad but that's just me , it's only money .. Glad your sorted anyway .

well done. Longest purchase chase of a Christmas present for self I have ever seen. Good Luck and Happy Motoring from here on in.

CHEERS, glass raised in your direction.

Hats off to you for posting this on a forum in the first place you knew you were in for more stress . Btw I did exactly what you did with a bike . I wanted a Yamaha RD500lc and one came up on eBay , I agreed a price of £4200 with the seller I'm in Sheffield and he was in Norfolk , I got a one man band Couriour to collect it for me gave him £4200 in cash (total stranger ) I hadn't seen the bike or even herd it running in the flesh . It arrived thank god and did run but it took me 12 Months to rebuild it ,people thought I was mad but that's just me , it's only money .. Glad your sorted anyway .

I bought a bike once on the strength of a photo; Suzuki GS650 Katana, glossy maroon tank, gold wheels, looked ACE. It may well have been, five years before when the photos were taken, but it had been standing, unused, in a leaky garage on the Folkestone seafront ever since. This 'ere R129 is museum-standard by comparison...

Congratulations Dennis, I am very glad that it turned out so well in the end.
Best of luck for the future, keep us updated on progress and hopefully you will eventually have a nice summer cruiser.
Steve.

Well done sir, pleased things turned out the way you wanted, good luck with your project, and may we have some pics. as and when.

I've tried to keep out of this thread as I know we've had our differences, but I am genuinely glad this has worked out for you as at one point I did fear the worst! Nice one, but next time.... do it a little differently :D

I've tried to keep out of this thread as I know we've had our differences, but I am genuinely glad this has worked out for you as at one point I did fear the worst! Nice one, but next time.... do it a little differently :D

Thank you. I never doubted that it would turn out all right in the end, once I had taken possession of the car; best thing that ever happened was chummy pushing off and leaving me to my own devices with it!

I wouldn't do it again, mind, but the unique circumstances that led to the saga will never recur; not to me, at any rate.

Great to hear the situation is resolved at last. :thumb: You should open a new thread (new chapter) on the car now, a project thread. Rock on. :D

Love a happy ending :thumb:

If you want wheel inspiration and have a side shot of the car/pics of prospective wheels I can do mockups on photoshop

HOWEVER... the Carlsson wheels all require a refurb, and one of them has not-very-well-repaired damage that would I think require a new outer section, so I guess they're effectively scrap - I don't think there's much of a market for a set of three wheels (unless you have a Morgan...) I don't really like them anyway, so not too much of a problem, and I reckon I can get a set of reasonable wheels and tyres off FleaBay for about £300-£400. I don't really know what style I want, though; I feel a thread coming on to help me choose...

I like my standard fit 8 holes

From a practical point of view - they are very easy to keep clean .

I've nothing against original wheels, but I'm looking to go up to 17 or 18-inch ones. The spare wheel is still under the boot floor; it's a 15-hole 16-inch, in very good condition, with a Pirelli P600 tyre on it that has seen very little use. If I knew somebody who was selling a set of three the same, I'd settle for those for the moment.

It may be worth trying Carl Burgess at w140 spares ( he breaks both W140 and R129 as they have so much in common ) .

Also , I think the W140 maybe had the 8 hole and 15 hole wheels in bigger sizes than 16" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom