• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

GLC Keyless START but not Keyless GO, do I need a Ghost installed?

Abain

Car
GLC 220d
Hi
Can someone tell me if a Mercedes GLC yr 2020 with Keyless START but NOT
keyless GO is likely to be a victim of theft?
Thinking of getting a ghost but don’t know if I actually need it? Some posts I’ve read say that it’s the Keyless GO that are the vulnerable ones and the ones stolen 🤷🏼‍♀️

If it’s an AMG model I would invest in the Ghost or Can-Phantom.

Hi , my C207E400 has both keyless go and keyless start.

I deactivate the both key fobs , have two steering wheel locks , have two Faraday pouch's and the car is tracked.

I have removed the start button and have to use the key fob to start the car.

Is my car safe from theft , no but at least it slows down any potential scum bag to steel your car.

I suspect that the ghost system is very good but can it be beaten by a clever scum bag , I cannot answer my own question.

The system is only as good as the installation and that's the clever bit.

The tracker on my car took four hours to fit and for reasons I am not prepared to talk about.

My car is parked under a movement light to illuminate the car if movement is detected.

Could I suggest that you contact Ghost the UK distribution company and see what they have to say and point you and the wright direction.

If it’s an AMG model I would invest in the Ghost or Can-Phantom.
It’s the 220d 4MATIC AMG Line but I have to use the key fob button to get into the car the the start button starts it. So it’s classed as Keyless start NOT keyless GO where you walk up to it with keys in pocket and you can just open the door……

Last edited:
AFAIK . Keyless entry is the problematic option as the signal is bounced from the key in the house by the thieves to the proximity of the vehicle allowing access and starting of the car.

Keyless go needs the button to be pressed to transmit the signal to the vehicle making it harder for the crims , which means they will need the key to gain access to the vehicle.

Having said that , extra security is no bad thing.

K

AFAIK . Keyless entry is the problematic option as the signal is bounced from the key in the house by the thieves to the proximity of the vehicle allowing access and starting of the car.

Keyless go needs the button to be pressed to transmit the signal to the vehicle making it harder for the crims , which means they will need the key to gain access to the vehicle.

Having said that , extra security is no bad thing.

K
This is my understanding but GHOST are saying that although less vulnerable they are still being stolen……??

but GHOST are saying that although less vulnerable they are still being stolen……??

Of course they are going to say that , if you are a perspective customer. ;)

Cars with any level of electronic security can be stolen if they are lifted away on a flatbed.

FWIW , if it is within the budget then for piece of mind if theft is a consideration i would just go for it.

K

This is my understanding but GHOST are saying that although less vulnerable they are still being stolen……??
For £500 ish fitted I would just get it, especially if you live in/near London.

I had Autowatch Ghost fitted to my E63 and it did give extra peace of mind it wasn't going to disappear one night.
I see the OP lives in Surrey. Perfect location for Comand online in Lightwater to fit one for you. Contact details in website below.

Do the keys still give off a signal after they’ve gone to sleep?
Not sure about the year, maybe after 2019? The keys go to sleep after a couple of minutes and do not give out any signal. Before then, you need a faraday pouch.

Do the keys still give off a signal after they’ve gone to sleep?
I think it depends on the version of key? I think newer fobs deactivate when they aren’t moving?

Not sure about the year, maybe after 2019? The keys go to sleep after a couple of minutes and do not give out any signal. Before then, you need a faraday pouch.
It’s 2020. As far as I am aware the difference between the keyless Go and the keyless start only models is the fact one is truly keyless as in when you walk up to her car it allows you entrance without having to press the key fob BUT the keyless start only models you need the key fob pressed to unlock the car. The key doesn’t emit signals to the car unless pressed. So there is no need for a faraday pouch etc. It seems the ones that are stolen really are the ones that have the system like Range Rover. The fully keyless ones. I’m looking for clarification of this…….?

Jesus @Boyband, where do you live?

I am all for sensible precautions, but if you're that worried / need to take that many precautions, I'd move.

I have the same car as you - it's nice but no AMG / RS or Rangey...

I use a Faraday box, but the keyless aspects are features I like to enjoy.

For those with the stolen to order cars, a different perspective....
As one now ex-copper told me (he's a mate), keyless is no bad thing as most 'to order' often foreign (it's a fact) criminals will break into the house and would think nothing of GBH if they need the keys.....

(yet yes I use a Faraday box, but those to order guys aren't going to have my car on their get one or the boss will be 'upset'with you list....)

They tried my 2016 GLC 3 times over 2 years.
Only ever managed to unlock it once as stupidly forgot to put key into faraday box but ghost prevented them taking it. Your car is definitely nickable via relay theft. I wouldn't chance it

Mine’s 2018 and goes to sleep. I tested it by locking the car with my finger as usual and left the keys static on the roof for a minute or so after which the car wouldn’t open by hand. Once I picked the keys up it was ok

Jesus @Boyband, where do you live?

I am all for sensible precautions, but if you're that worried / need to take that many precautions, I'd move.

I have the same car as you - it's nice but no AMG / RS or Rangey...

I use a Faraday box, but the keyless aspects are features I like to enjoy.

For those with the stolen to order cars, a different perspective....
As one now ex-copper told me (he's a mate), keyless is no bad thing as most 'to order' often foreign (it's a fact) criminals will break into the house and would think nothing of GBH if they need the keys.....

(yet yes I use a Faraday box, but those to order guys aren't going to have my car on their get one or the boss will be 'upset'with you list....)
Hi ,

I know it seems like an overkill but all I want do if my type of car is on the order list I want them to steel someone's else's car. ( I know that is not very neighbourly )

I always use the total package when I visit my son in Tooting.

Tooting.....?

Add a doberman on the back seat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom