• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Got rear ended

didi w203

Car
merc C220 cdi w203 Coupe
As title. ..a vw polo driver rubber necking an accident that myself and my partner stopped to help as one car was on top of another...i was stopped on the hard shoulder of the A361. I was just about to exit my car when crash at 60mph i was hit on the o/s/r...the polo then ended in the third lane about 5 meters down.
Police were called immediately and attended very swiftly. The girl then got out her polo clutching onto her baby. She swiftly admitted to the police she was not looking at the road bit the accident behind me that i stopped for.

All going through the insurance now but what a let down the value on my car.
Just shows that rubber necking is an accident waiting to happen.

It's classed as a class b write off.

ForumRunner_20140311_230434.jpg

Very sorry to hear that... glad that you are OK.

Needs a "Baby on Board" sticker for the inside of her front screen so SHE remembers!

At least you got away in one piece. Good luck with the insurance claim.

Hard shoulders are dangerous places. IIRC, a previous forum member had seen three fatalities at close quarters.
I carry a Hi-Vis Jacket or Vest in my cars just in case. They are not expensive these days.

Unfortunately, you can be as "Hi Viz" as you like but it will make little difference if someone is not looking where they are going. Commiserations on the state of your car
Regards, Jeff

Thanks peeps.. we ok, thank you....just the usual whiplash but my girlfriend is taking it really bad.
I've been given a new jeep cherokee and everytime we go out and someone overtakes us she's clinging onto her seat belt. Her nerves are shot.

The polo driver must of been 19 years old, a little thing..After we were crashed into the only persons who came to my car were the firemen who disconnected the battery. ..then a copper who asked me a few questions and took a breath test (which i passed) and left us to it. ..we rang the AA who were useless as we are only covered in a breakdown and not an accident who would then charge £120 to tow us to the nearest safe place within 10 miles. .got the police to arrange recovery which the insurance company paid for.

The recovery company were very helpful at the start but when we said we'll come and clear MY car out next day at 1:30pm we were shocked. .running slightly late due to traffic and got there at 1:36 pm. ..all my stuff was emptied out and put in a plastic bag as car was being taken to another compound..are they allowed to clear my car without me being there? Then the silly arrogant woman at the compound would not let me take my plates off the car as I was advised by my insures to do so.

My mercedes is ending up at Copart. If only I could take the leather seats out i be a happy.
bunny.

I was offered a mere £1790 for my car but managed to get 2100. Going to push my luck and try for 2200. But hopefully a c230k is on the cards.

It's costing me more as I now paid out £105 to put my personalised plate on retention.

Little rant over..sorry.

It's costing me more as I now paid out £105 to put my personalised plate on retention.

You should be able to recover that as uninsured loss.

I'm surprised your car was Cat B, looks more like Cat-C to me.

ref; recovery...i did that job for 8 years.after collection of a car coming to compound..we speake to customer regarding collection of property..either we empty car for u ...or secure car for you to come at your own time to clear it out. depends on how quick insurance lets it go.costs of recovery and storage etc etc keeps there cost down... you could take anything off car that belonged to you
regarding coparts blimey there like vultures strip cars to nothing ...

You should be able to recover that as uninsured loss.

I'm surprised your car was Cat B, looks more like Cat-C to me.

I have enquired regarding claiming my fee back and all the insurer said was ...its up to you if you put a personalised plate on...we didn't ask you to so you can try to claim it back..charming eh. ..

The assessor said it's not economical to repair and the damage was extensive. Bummer me finks.

ref; recovery...i did that job for 8 years.after collection of a car coming to compound..we speake to customer regarding collection of property..either we empty car for u ...or secure car for you to come at your own time to clear it out. depends on how quick insurance lets it go.costs of recovery and storage etc etc keeps there cost down... you could take anything off car that belonged to you

The insurance company were on the ball straight away hence car was emptied out and just about to go onto flatbed and taken away to another compound when we got there.

Oh...and they wanted me to leave my car stereo in...i told them to jog on. ...but i did replace it with a crappy one i had in the boot. Arrogant recovery company.

Last edited:
copart

As far as Im aware Copart dont own the cars they auction theyre sold on behalf of the insurers

their sister company Upullit however does as they break vehicles for parts

if items are taken/missing from vehicles in Copart it is most likely theft by employees or the vehicles prior owners/storers,

likewise parts missing from Upullit vehicles prior to being put in the actual yard for the public to break is usually down to tame employees getting backhanders from willing buyers eg certain key fobs etc

Bad news you got hit. Good news it wasn't a lorry that hit you, could have been very nasty for you. You often hear about fatalities like that. I wouldn't stop on the hard shoulder unless it's an absolute emergency.

Could of been worse....could of been in the others half's megane convertible. ..we weren't so not thinking bout what could of been.

Dont worry mate its a shame but we've all been there. Take your money, and go and get yourself an upgrade!

As title. ..a vw polo driver rubber necking an accident that myself and my partner stopped to help as one car was on top of another...i was stopped on the hard shoulder of the A361. I was just about to exit my car when crash at 60mph i was hit on the o/s/r...the polo then ended in the third lane about 5 meters down.

That looks more like a soft verge than a hard shoulder and no way was that a 60mph impact.

That's what she told the police. ...she was doing 60mph....hard shoulder...grass verge on a 3 lane carriageway.

Update..Car is a class C write off..insurance would not pay out due to discrepency on my policy and now I have the car in my possession.

Going through my solicitor to reclaim money offered then declined plus compo.

How much is it worth? Needs rear bumper, bumper retainer poss reinforcement bar, rear light, o/s quarter panel, link arm and respray.

Most parts second hand.

Last edited:
Update..Car is a class C write off..insurance would not pay out due to discrepency on my policy and now I have the car in my possession.

Going through my solicitor to reclaim money offered then declined plus compo.

How much is it worth? Needs rear bumper, bumper retainer poss reinforcement bar, rear light, o/s quarter panel, link arm and respray.

Most parts second hand.

Are you going to repair it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom