Had a bump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My car lost £7k in the first year, so at £1k, I would have been delighted.

You can only expect to receive a realistic value.
Yes but your car will be of more value and newer than mine, mine is 12 years old and had done as good as all of its depreciation

Unless Menz has Combined risks, it's effectively Third Party Only. They don't have an interest in the vehicle he's driving, just the liabilities. Again, IMHO. If its a Traders Combined, then I stand corrected.

I'd not make too much of that, you're supposed to be a trader, don't forget.

They may ask what trader would pay £1700 for 12 year old car from a garage.

Lots of people take out cheap trade policies, but the pitfalls are that you need to proove that you are a trader if there's a claim.

Im a self employed mechanic not a car saleman, i searched hi and low for a decent w202 c250 td sport about 4 months to be exact they are like hens teeth compared to lesser variants.
its got full service history the last owner of 9 years was a doctor it has two keys 99.9 % dont have which would cost me another £250 for a second one.
its low mileage 116000
it isnt a ka or a punto that auctions are full of

As you are the 3rd party, why not just force a repair to your car.

Unless Menz has Combined risks, it's effectively Third Party Only. They don't have an interest in the vehicle he's driving, just the liabilities. Again, IMHO. If its a Traders Combined, then I stand corrected.
yes is is a combined one

As you are the 3rd party, why not just force a repair to your car.
I would be happy with that but i cant see them going for it to be honest it going to be at least £2000 in repairs, i love the car it goes like stink for what it is and economicial to boot, i dont really want have to buy another car as ive got refurbed monoblocks as summer wheels then theres the original wheels with winter tyres that ive only had 2000 miles use of

Last edited:
Menz, you're likely in a better position than if you were a fully comprehensive private policyholder. Your own insurers would have had a right to salvage and only offer it back if they chose.

Hold out for the best offer, do the repairs yourself (if that's an option) and you may even have a couple of bob left over for any further work you had planned :bannana:

Bloody iPad slow again!

Menz, you're likely in a better position than if you were a fully comprehensive private policyholder. Your own insurers would have had a right to salvage and only offer it back if they chose.

Hold out for the best offer, do the repairs yourself (if that's an option) and you may even have a couple of bob left over for any further work you had planned :bannana:

Bloody iPad slow again!
thats what i will do i think, ive got proof with what ive spent on and bought the car for so it as a bartering tool i guess. id be happy if the gave me about 1200 ish and keep the car depends what the value the car at and what the salvage value is i guess

The insurance will only pay you out on what the car is worth now, not what you paid for it last year.

If you get more than a grand, you'll have done well.

Unbelievable. Good news i took it for assesment yesterday, they have just rang to say they are going to repair it and will be picking it up on tues 13th and dropping a hire car at the same time :thumb::bannana:

well i thought it was a result but it aint ive just learned they are going to fill the bumper and bootlid with filler and knock the dent out of the back panel. ive just rang to say im not happy with it, there wasnt filler in it before.:mad:

Could you say that you will source the parts if they are willing to foot the bill for them, a bootlid and bumper arent that expensive off fleabay, they will only need spraying to match the colour

well its funny you mention that. ive allready got a replacement bootlid because its starting to rust around the handle on the original but i wasnt fitting it till winter was out. so i said they can use that and replace the bumper themselves and i would be happy. they have made a note and are getting back to me.

Or maybe ask for a 'cash-in-lieu of repairs' settlement. You probably won't get the courtesy car, mind.

(I did this when a supermarket delivery van hit an old mondeo I had, ruining the bumper. They stumped up £400. Every little helps! ;))

update my claim is still ongoing, but the assessor has comfirmed the car is repairable.
the cost of repairs will cost £1.217.97, they have valued the car at £1.900 200 more than i payed.
The bad news is the third party insurers are denying responsibility. they have been really ****y up to now ie requsting copies of my log book, mot and insurance policy , my solicitor is giving them 2 weeks to buck their ideas up before issuing a court summons.
nothings simple anymore lol

What they are asking for is easy enough to scan and email. May I hazard a guess that you may be pursuing some sort of personal injury claim too?

nothings simple anymore lol

Since people started making fraudulent insurance claims and using the "slam on" technique.

I'm not suggesting that you are, but the other insurance company may view it as that and want to satisfy themselves yours is a genuine case, with you as the genuine owner.

Since people started making fraudulent insurance claims and using the "slam on" technique.

I'm not suggesting that you are, but the other insurance company may view it as that and want to satisfy themselves yours is a genuine case, with you as the genuine owner.

i guess your right mate looking at it that way, part of todays claim culture i guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom