Had a bump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've only just read this thread and have total sympathy with OP. Hope it all gets sorted soon and that your neck is OK.

I had a similar incident many years ago down near Guildford. Happily driving along at around 40 in a line of cars when the one in front of me slams on his brakes. I do the same and come to a stop, as does the guy in the Mini behind me. But Mr Rep in his Vauxhall was less alert and rammed hard into the Mini and shunted him into the back of my E260. Still a bit dazed from what had happened I got out of my car just as Vauxhall man came storming towards me ready to do more damage with his fist than he'd already done with his car. His face was bright red as he shouted at me from a few inches away, demanding to know why I'd braked so suddenly. I started to explain as I turned round to see that the car that had started it all had driven off! Despite my protestations Vauxhall man wanted to rip every limb from my body and it was quite some time before I noticed that the Mini driver was still sat in his now much shorter car. I looked towards him for some hopeful support, but mainly to check he was OK. He gave me a thumb's up and shrugged his shoulders - he couldn't get out!

Just as I was wondering whether or not my will was up to date, a car came from the opposite direction, pulled up and the driver got out and walked over to us. He explained that he was the one who had braked heavily (because a dog had run into his path) and it was only because his young son was looking out of the back that he'd been alerted to the carnage he was leaving behind. I thanked him (for my life?) and turned to Vauxhall man who then went into totally alternative mode realising he was at fault after all. He came out with things like "You know how it is in a line of cars and you have less time to brake .....". To which I responded he therefore should have known to leave an even larger gap.

Eventually the three of us managed to force open a door on the Mini and let the amazingly relaxed driver out before inspecting all the damage. The Mini was caved in front and back, probably a write-off. The Vauxhall's engine was being eaten by it's radiator which was lubricating the road. My Merc's number plate was cracked and that was it! I swapped insurance and contact details with the Mini and Vauxhall men and left them to it. I didn't hear anything more and was quite happy to pay out the £10 or so for a new number plate. I hope the the Mini driver had success with his insurance claim against the Vauxhall driver.

My Merc's number plate was cracked and that was it!

I bet here was damage behind the bumper, although the fronts of mini's were a bit weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom