Hedge-find Bentley fitted with tank engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Bentley found in a hedge gets WW2 lump insertion

Extract from the very readable article

Why not an actual Merlin? Three reasons. Merlins have a supercharger that hangs much lower than the sump; that means raising the engine in the chassis, which compromises the handling. Secondly, the Merlin’s crankshaft rotates the opposite way from a car engine and I didn’t want to end up with five reverse gears. Once you have discounted those minor differences, Meteors are effectively Merlins. Of course, the Meteor produces less power than the Merlin but most people would consider 660bhp and 1,650ft/lbs of torque adequate for road use.

Another extract from a very readable article...

The car is still a work in progress so there are still many interesting problems to solve. Hacking cars is a delightful mixture of calculation, in order to decide how to proceed, and then getting your hands dirty doing it.

In my more philosophical moments I have pondered the common link between hacking code and cars. For what it’s worth, I think it is that all true hackers (no matter how that trait manifests itself) love problem solving. Whether those problems are manifest in code or engineering is essentially immaterial.

I just knew there was a reason. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom