Hillman Imps / Our other cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The epoxy goes straight on the bare metal after welding in the section?

Yes, this stuff sticks like no ones business.
It's like a real good seam sealer, we clean the metal then use Metal Prep to acid etch it then apply the epoxy.
The epoxy is also on the back of the panels, we apply this then grind of where we need to weld and apply weld primer.

First Batch of Volvo panels are back from Rob. I expressed some concern that he was painting some bits to final finish before the shell of the car, and whether there would be problems with matching. I felt a bit of a fool when he laughed and said it would all match fine. He said he'd do it again if it didn't match, so I'm happy really I guess!
The finish is flawless. I'm slightly concerned now that I might have gone down a path where the end product is too nice to drive. I think at the end this car will be moving on, so hopefully I won't need to fret too much about stone chips and the like...
Couple of pics.
3-A8-FFA11-8462-4-FD0-A120-6-DD7-CE760877.jpg

7-C3-C06-DA-EC86-43-E1-931-C-EA313-B8-BF547.jpg

A60-B6-EDE-24-C0-4-C9-B-9-E2-C-57649506-F135.jpg

Bonnet mirror...

616-F9019-AF29-4246-86-AE-DAB1-ABDEEE3-A.jpg

First Batch of Volvo panels are back from Rob. I expressed some concern that he was painting some bits to final finish before the shell of the car, and whether there would be problems with matching. I felt a bit of a fool when he laughed and said it would all match fine. He said he'd do it again if it didn't match, so I'm happy really I guess!
The finish is flawless. I'm slightly concerned now that I might have gone down a path where the end product is too nice to drive. I think at the end this car will be moving on, so hopefully I won't need to fret too much about stone chips and the like...
Couple of pics.
3-A8-FFA11-8462-4-FD0-A120-6-DD7-CE760877.jpg

7-C3-C06-DA-EC86-43-E1-931-C-EA313-B8-BF547.jpg

A60-B6-EDE-24-C0-4-C9-B-9-E2-C-57649506-F135.jpg

Bonnet mirror...

616-F9019-AF29-4246-86-AE-DAB1-ABDEEE3-A.jpg
Its a strange way to do it OK....Normally, all panels should be painted at the same time ( at least when I was doing it anyway..) because there can be minute differences even between coat's of the same mix, but more so if its a metallic colour.. But I guess Rob knows what he is doing, so hopefully it will be OK. They look great by the way....any time you can see your own reflection in the finish, thats as good as it gets.. LOL :)

Had an impromptu run out on Thursday night.
A couple of guys arrived at my house for a chat and we decided to have a run up Sherrifmuir, we called another two and they arrived within 10 minutes to join us.

20200625_205955.jpg

Stopped off at the castle on the way back.

20200625_214215.jpg

Yes, and I'll bet it was a welcome eyefull for everyone who happened to see that "Convoy"....... LOL :)

LOTS OF REPLICAS OUT THERE BUT NOT SO MANY ORIGINALS. AS YOU SAY ITS ONLY WORTH WHAT PEOPLE ARE PREPARED TO PAY- WONDER IF ITS RHD?

Just come across this thread, brilliant. My dad had a light blue one when they came out. I loved it. Lot quicker than a mini, maybe not so good on corners. He sold it & got a Vanden Plas 1300 which was very comfy for a small car. When you see an Imp nowadays, they look so small. Keep it up & keep adding pictures:)👍

Took Mildred out the garage today, washed, vacuumed and cleaned up.

Have to admit I had started using the inside of the car as storage and there was all manner of things inside.

Time for a run out Sunday weather permitting, might get some good pictures of cars as there should be lots out.

By tradition at work we always had a Chinese takeaway lunch on Friday.

Today we went got the takeaway and parked up in the retail park for a blether.

image_5815.jpg

Had a chat with quite a few passing people interested in cars.

I had the black car on the lift this week to sort a few bits out. One of my mates wants to buy it. We’ve agreed a deal where I get first dibs if he wants to sell it again. I’ve still got the white one, so it’s not too much of a wrench…

E559-DD77-F926-4-E38-BDD9-732-D44-C8-E6-E9.jpg

Mildred been a little poorly since a run out in the blistering heat a few weeks ago.

Not an overheating problem, think fuel was vaporising in carb.
Quick strip down of carb. improved matters but not enough.

Stripped the inlet/exhaust manifolds off to fit new gaskets.
Changed Coil, plugs, condenser, cap and arm.

Newly sourced New Old Stock carb. ready to be fitted.
Getting one with the Auto choke mechanism is tricky.

Mildred been a little poorly since a run out in the blistering heat a few weeks ago.

Not an overheating problem, think fuel was vaporising in carb.
Quick strip down of carb. improved matters but not enough.

Stripped the inlet/exhaust manifolds off to fit new gaskets.
Changed Coil, plugs, condenser, cap and arm.

Newly sourced New Old Stock carb. ready to be fitted.
Getting one with the Auto choke mechanism is tricky.
What condition were the manifolds in?

What condition were the manifolds in?

Pretty good. Painted exhaust and manifold though.
Will pop some pictures up of them being fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom