Hopefully a new c63 owner... soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mickee92

Car
W204 C63
Right so I joined the Mercedes forum and I believe its mainly America based so although I got some decent information I think I’m better off here if I need to question a uk car to see if its not got a good past.

So currently I drive a mk2 Audi TT 3.2 and have done for about 3 years and now the novelty has worn off. The car is bumpy, rattly, uncomfortable and so dated now even the exhaust note isn’t enough to keep me in one.
So im on the lookout for a 2012+ 4 door c63 in the region of about £20-24k give or take a few, which going by autotrader and motors.co.uk seem about a rough price for a 40-70k mileage one.

been a member of the TT forum ever since so I know how it usually work... few sarcastic comments followed by the ones who have interest in helping but hey I can take a joke
thumbsup.gif

Usually used to a generic reply a mod will give when the typical questions are asked:

common problems to look out for when buying?
must haves?
advices?

So I’ve read the head bolt issues are prefacelift? So i dont have that to worry about. Heard the lifters on start up are noisy?

I get about 20mpg if I’m lucky as it is so is that roughly the same for the c63? Not that I care just I need ammunition to fire back at the lady in my life who struggles to keep me right. Whilst owning the TT I’ve spent a small fortune on maintenance, mods and general fixing the previous owners negligence so whats the upkeep of the c63 like? For example my indie usually charges say £20 labour to change oil and filter when I provide 6L of oil and a man filter or a full set of none oem pads and discs will set me back say £500.

The c63 has been my dream affordable car so please tread lightly on the bad points.

Firstly welcome aboard :thumb:

PH is usually a good read on buying guides:

RE: Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG: PH Buying Guide - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads

Cheapest C63 on the Mercedes website is north of £26K but will be fully prepared and have the 2 year warranty.

Quite a few listed on PH including this one at a dealer with AMG warranty:
Mercedes-Benz C Class C63 4dr Auto

As you know your budget gives you a good choice and the ability to get a car from an AMG dealer with the very valuable warranty included. If you see a car you like post the detail on here and one of the much more knowledgeable members of the forum will give you the necessary feedback/lowdown/run away advice :)

Also just noticed a rather nice Edition 125 for sale in the classifieds here from an existing member that might be worth a look ;)

Firstly welcome aboard :thumb:

PH is usually a good read on buying guides:

RE: Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG: PH Buying Guide - Page 1 - General Gassing - PistonHeads

Cheapest C63 on the Mercedes website is north of £26K but will be fully prepared and have the 2 year warranty.

Quite a few listed on PH including this one at a dealer with AMG warranty:
Mercedes-Benz C Class C63 4dr Auto

As you know your budget gives you a good choice and the ability to get a car from an AMG dealer with the very valuable warranty included. If you see a car you like post the detail on here and one of the much more knowledgeable members of the forum will give you the necessary feedback/lowdown/run away advice :)

I have done some digging and only points I’ve picked up so far are:

Poor build quality for the interior
Engine mounts needing replaced
Lifters noisy on start up
Alloys cracking

Car has to be 2012 - 2014 as I dont want a pre facelift or the headbolt issue.

I’ve seen a nice one on autotrader with the performance pack plus and LSD but no harmon kardon and to be honest the HK top trumps the PP+ etc as stock power is plenty full for me. As long as its saloon, sub 60k miles 12-14 plate and definitely has sunroof and harmon kardon I’ll be interested.

Since I’ll be financing the car I’d prefer it to be dealership not private.

Interested in one on autotrader as well with all the spec i want at a reasonable price with the registration plate: LO14 VRN

Something puts me off from buying from the midlands though and a lot of pals tell me to stay clear of the midlands so im a bit dubious.

Alloys cracking

I’ve seen a nice one on autotrader with the performance pack plus and LSD but no harmon kardon and to be honest the HK top trumps the PP+ etc as stock power is plenty full for me. As long as its saloon, sub 60k miles 12-14 plate and definitely has sunroof and harmon kardon I’ll be interested.

Interested in one on autotrader as well with all the spec i want at a reasonable price with the registration plate: LO14 VRN

Something puts me off from buying from the midlands though and a lot of pals tell me to stay clear of the midlands so im a bit dubious.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the Harmon Kardon. There’s not much comparison, If there is will be very slight.
With the amazing V8 roar I don’t think you’d be that concerned..

I wouldn’t worry too much about the Harmon Kardon. There’s not much comparison, If there is will be very slight.
With the amazing V8 roar I don’t think you’d be that concerned..

Whats the standard sound sysyem like?? And what do you get with it?? Bluetooth, aux etc? Obviously people who have never had harmon and kardon will say its nothing special but like I say the PP+ isn’t as appealing as having a quality sound system. BUT you are right the v8 roar will have me smiling for years and like my TT with the vr6 sound I rarely use the radio.

The pp+ with LSD is that the 507bhp and forged internals or is it the 480bhp?

Alloys cracking

Below is the build sheet for LO14 VRN

Ident. number (FIN) WDD2040772A898388
VIN WDD2040772A898388
Baumuster 204077
Sales name C 63 AMG
Order number 0 3 537 28746 (Destination: Great Britain)
Delivery date 24 07 2013
PAINT1 775U IRIDIUM SILVER - METALLIC FINISH
Interior color 221A LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
Engine 156985 60 085683
Gearbox 722930 05 053959

07A OIL OFFSET AMOUNT +700 ML OIL
1U2 SNOW GRID
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
213 SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING
220A LEATHER
221A LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
230 PARKING GUIDANCE
240 LED DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
241 ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE LEFT DRIVER SEAT W MEMORY
249 INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR MIRROR,AUTOMATICALLY DIMMING
255B MB MOBILO WITH DSB AND GGD
265 LINES-NO.PLATE DISCONTINUED
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
287 THROUGH-LOADING FEATURE
294 KNEE AIRBAG
299 PRESAFE
335B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
345 RAIN SENSOR
347 EMERGENCY CALL SYSTEM ECALL EUROPE
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
427 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
440 TEMPOMAT (CRUISE CONTROL)
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
471 MECHANICAL LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL
475 TIRE PRESSURE CONTROL
500 ELECTRIC FOLDING OUTSIDE MIRROR
502 3 YEARS OF MAP UPDATES FREE OF CHARGE
512 COMAND APS WITH DVD CHANGER
513 TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITION
518 UNIVERSAL COMMUNICATIONS INTERFACE (UCI)
537 DIGITAL RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGI. AUDIO BROADC.)
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
551 BASIC ANTITHEFT ALARM SYSTEM (ATA)
580 AIR CONDITIONER
584 ELECTRIC WINDOW REGULATOR
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
608 AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SWITCH (IHC)
621 HEADLAMP WITH ILS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
690 EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE (MINI SPARE)
736 TRIM PIECES - WOOD ASH BLACK
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
775U IRIDIUM SILVER - METALLIC FINISH
776 WHEEL ARCH ENLARGEMENT
797 AMG 19" SPOKED WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES
804 YOM 13/1
810 PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
817 SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
876 INTERIOR LIGHT ASSEMBLY
882 SENSOR SYSTEM AND ANTITHEFT ALARM SYSTEM
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
89V SPEED- + LOADINDEX ZR19 XL+ZR19 XL
909 ALTERNATOR MANAGEMENT
916 FUEL TANK WITH LARGE VOLUME - VOLUME 1
928 EXHAUST GAS CLEANING WITH EURO 5 TECHNOLOGY
954 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE FOR AVANTGARDE VEHICLES
966 COC PAPER EURO 5 TECH. W/O REGIST. CERT. PART 2
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A50 ENGINE BRACKET VARIANT
A88 VS-I VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS 3
A89 REDUCED-FRICTION
B12 WHEEL REPLACEMENT TOOL
B54 MBCONNECT - REAL-TIME TRAFFIC DATA
D5B No code designation available
D5Z No code designation available
DL5 No code designation available
F204 MODEL SERIES 204
FW LIMOUSINE
G930 TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 30
GV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION REINFORCED
HA REAR AXLE
K11 ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K14 CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL 20000 KM
M156 V8 GASOLINE ENGINE M156 - AMG
M63 6.3 LITER DISPLACEMENT
N4A STEUERCODE W50 FUER PPS-INT. VERWENDUNG
P47 PARKING PACKAGE HIGH
P49 MIRRORS PACKAGE
P54 THEFT PROTECTION PACKAGE
P64 FRONT MEMORY PACKAGE
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
R01 SUMMER TIRES
U01 REAR BELT STATUS INDICATION
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
U26 FLOOR MATS - AMG
U72 DVD PLAYER WITH REGIONAL CODE 2, EUROPE, JAPAN
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT
X00 LEATHER, DESIGNO, UNI-COLOR
X11 LEATHER, DESIGNO-BLACK, UNI-COLOR
Y90 DESIGNO BLACK FABRIC ROOF INTER. TRIM/WINDOW FRAME

Whats the standard sound sysyem like?? And what do you get with it?? Bluetooth, aux etc? Obviously people who have never had harmon and kardon will say its nothing special but like I say the PP+ isn’t as appealing as having a quality sound system. BUT you are right the v8 roar will have me smiling for years and like my TT with the vr6 sound I rarely use the radio.

In my opinion, The standard sound system in the W204 is pretty impressive. The HK maybe a slight touch better, But I honestly wouldnt let that put you off...

The 507 model has 507 bhp.
Performance pack is 487 bhp (if memory recalls)

In my opinion, The standard sound system in the W204 is pretty impressive. The HK maybe a slight touch better, But I honestly wouldnt let that put you off...

The 507 model has 507 bhp.
Performance pack is 487 bhp (if memory recalls)

Makes sense I don’t know why the dealer is saying its 507bhp when its just PPP and LSD.

This is the car thats took my fancy:

Used Mercedes-benz C Class Saloon 6.3 C63 Amg Mct 7s 4dr in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire | M Cars Ltd

In the MOT history the engine management light was on as a fix immediately which im hoping was fixed and not just reset.

All alloys seemed to have fractured at some point and repaired.

I like harmon kardon

Check the paint thoroughly, as Opalfire has known problem with micro blistering.
Although if its a good one it looks fantastic.

Check the paint thoroughly, as Opalfire has known problem with micro blistering.
Although if its a good one it looks fantastic.

I will do.

Are modern day red cars still notorious for fading??

Not so much as they are usually metallic.

It was mostly solid reds that faded and that's why you could bring them back with a cut as you are working on the colour not clearcoat.

Why is the majority of these cars for sale owned by 4+ owners?? Seems a lot?

Because they are relatively cheap to buy and have near supercar performance but once the reality of running costs is known they get sold on fairly quickly by most, but not all, owners.

Hmmm other than fuel what running costs are there that’s unlike othet cars?

I have a van for work and the car will cover less than 50miles a week on average.

Mostly want to get rid of the small, old feeling, harsh ride quality audi TT for something a bit more practical sized and comfortable with the added power plant of an engine?

Because they are relatively cheap to buy and have near supercar performance but once the reality of running costs is known they get sold on fairly quickly by most, but not all, owners.

+1
And slowly getting in the hands
Makes sense I don’t know why the dealer is saying its 507bhp when its just PPP and LSD.

This is the car thats took my fancy:

Used Mercedes-benz C Class Saloon 6.3 C63 Amg Mct 7s 4dr in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire | M Cars Ltd

In the MOT history the engine management light was on as a fix immediately which im hoping was fixed and not just reset.

All alloys seemed to have fractured at some point and repaired.

I’d be a bit careful, As the EML could indicate anything.. if there is no warranty can be something minor to £££ (if the problem has only been masked)

Have you tried looking at the Mercedes used car search engine? All AMG models come with a 2 yr warranty. Which to buy on its own is in circa of around 3k. Plus you’ve got the added peace of mind..

+1
And slowly getting in the hands

I’d be a bit careful, As the EML could indicate anything.. if there is no warranty can be something minor to £££ (if the problem has only been masked)

Have you tried looking at the Mercedes used car search engine? All AMG models come with a 2 yr warranty. Which to buy on its own is in circa of around 3k. Plus you’ve got the added peace of mind..

Yeah looked and looked and looked and nothing.

And you can tell the warranty is worth 3k as it reflects in the cars they sell... 29k for a car from Mercedes with less extras to a car going for £24k to a independent dealer.

Had shite experience with a local merc dealership. Went in told them the car we wanted for the little twirp to get his manager to patronise us saying that kinda car doesn’t exist, we wanted petrol and manual for him to lie about having one so as soon as we jumped in to test drive it was a diesel and auto. In the end bought exactly the car we wanted from lookers. 2014 red Mercedes A200 petrol, manual with under 20k miles...

Yeah looked and looked and looked and nothing.

And you can tell the warranty is worth 3k as it reflects in the cars they sell... 29k for a car from Mercedes with less extras to a car going for £24k to a independent dealer.

Had shite experience with a local merc dealership. Went in told them the car we wanted for the little twirp to get his manager to patronise us saying that kinda car doesn’t exist, we wanted petrol and manual for him to lie about having one so as soon as we jumped in to test drive it was a diesel and auto. In the end bought exactly the car we wanted from lookers. 2014 red Mercedes A200 petrol, manual with under 20k miles...

When I’ve broaden my search, My experience with main dealers has always been great, Just abit of added peace of mind..

Some prestige dealers are also great. Worth checking the reviews out of the company in question, Before parting with your hard earned as it will settle your mind. As suppose to find something cheap but no comeback if something goes wrong..
My thoughts anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom