• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How can you tell if it's safe to block up holes under an old barn?

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi,

I've rented an old, stone-walled barn for the past 10+ years (yes I'm aware that it's a huge waste of money to rent for so long) and last year was the first time I'd had mice - funny as it's a rural-ish location (a farm). They tended to be heard in the walls and in the space between the ground floor and upstairs. They even found a way into the kitchen from there and came out to say hello as I was trying to enjoy a romantic Christmas with my partner...

I've learned way too much about deterrents, info on how to capture/kill them, how to stop them getting in, etc. I plugged up all the holes in the house that I can see with a steel wool and expanding foam/caulking. I caught three of them and wondered if I had gotten them all or if it was just the season for them to head back out into the fields. From the noises, I don't think I had an infestation of hundreds, but perhaps they got in and were passing through my house on their 'food run'. I've even got a few cheap wifi security cameras behind the kitchen cupboards which will alert me if there's any motion behind there... nothing since the end of last winter!

A couple of days ago, as the temps fell, I heard the scratching above a window, inside a wall. Damn. But at least this gave me a heads up where they were getting in from.

I look outside and see a big hole at the bottom of the building, in the corner, covered by large, loose stones. I inferred from this that the gap was intentional. No idea how I missed this when I plugged gaps up in early Spring.

Anyway my question to you kind folks is: how do I know if this is left as some kind of 'venting' and I should cover it up with gauze/mesh wire, or if I can block it up more 'severely'? It's a really big hole 'under' the house, but I'm not sure if it leads anywhere.

Yes, I will take it up with the landlords but last year they were extremely unhelpful (useless) in response to plug the numerous holes in the place, so let's assume they're useless for the time being, and I'll take matters into my own hands.

I'll post proper pictures soon, you can’t tell too much from the attached. Yes, I just put a bait box there…

Thanks!

Ed

P.S. I ask on here as I'm not on many forums online, and don't know where else to ask!! Thought there would at least be some homeowners on here that have dealt with a) construction and b) keeping mice away...!

Attachments

• E0BBD2FE-E199-4347-91DA-10F9C26C6AAA.jpeg
    E0BBD2FE-E199-4347-91DA-10F9C26C6AAA.jpeg
    620.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 245B4B88-BF03-4E32-ABE7-9928CAAF14F8.jpeg
    245B4B88-BF03-4E32-ABE7-9928CAAF14F8.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 34
  • D335E4BE-848A-48CC-B85A-BFD71F2A8363.jpeg
    D335E4BE-848A-48CC-B85A-BFD71F2A8363.jpeg
    612.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Good luck buddy, I hope you can this sorted. And remember, there is always someone worse off than yourself.
One of my best mates had a hamster infestation at a house he used to own.
We'd be sitting there in the living room gaming on the xbox, and hamsters would run across the floor - I kid you not. We couldn't find where they were coming from.
Used to scoop them up into a box and take them next door to the hamster breeder, who would deny all knowledge and say they weren't theirs. (of course total rollocks).
So they were 'set free' in the street.
He moved shortly thereafter and took a hit on the overall costs of the purchase as that was never going to be sorted any time soon!

Having lived in/with an ex-barn for 40-odd years, I'd say there was no reason not to block the hole (with cement/concrete). I would think that the only useful purpose it could serve would be as drainage for surface water - if this doesn't seem likely (look when it rains) the fill with a lightly dosed concrete.

Our place is a 14th century barn with 3ft thick walls and attached 1902 house. The place has been reconstructed using original materials but a lot of the structure is "as was".

Based on our experience over the past 14 years:

You will never stop mice and other nuisances infiltrating the property. A mouse can squeeze through a gap which is only pencil-width as the widest point of its exoskeleton is its skull. Mice come in different sizes and the small ones - although cute - can get through very small gaps indeed.

The key is effective mouse traps. Since we arrived, the quality and efficacy (over here anyway) has improved no end.

Bait using Nutella - trust me, we have tried everything including peanut butter (not bad), but buy a pot of Nutella and it'll last you years.

Find where the mice run ..... if in doubt, next to a wall or skirting board. Bait and place the trap and check regularly - at least daily. If you have hit the spot, you may catch a mouse every day (or night) and sometimes even two. I recently caught 14, one each night. If not sure, place several traps and check them daily.

Mice can have a litter every 6 weeks and up to 8 in a litter, though it's more usual for only six to survive, on average. You need to catch the breeding pair and, even then, catch the rest of that litter and probably the next one, as siblings will breed with each other and also with a parent. Yes, it's gross, but it's the animal world.

I used to keep white rats - big ones - back in the day, hence the slightly anal knowledge!

As an alternative, you can put poison down. This can be very effective but, if you have a pet, that can be dangerous and even if not, the smell from even a small dead mouse can linger for weeks - not recommended!

If it's any consolation, we get all sorts of fauna in our place. The worst are the fouines (stone martens) who scramble up in the lofts/roofs, p*ssing and even worse. I've caught 3 so far and they are smelly b*ggers, to say the least. Sadly, they have to be dispatched, otherwise they will return. They often bring their prey indoors .... the worst was a 4 foot grass snake, not quite dead!

Anyway ... mouse traps .... get the plastic "snapper" type, not the wooden ones. Bait with Nutella and be patient. Use several if you're not sure where the mice are running. Mouse droppings are a clue but are often hidden from the main runs.

Bon courage!

Blocking holes is a waste of time. They will only find new ones or make them. Instead, leave the existing routes and use them as known entry points and place traps accordingly.
Humane traps work best. Poison leaves them stinking behind a wall and the snapper type often as not only partially catches them and they'll chew a limb off to escape - usually dragging the trap somewhere more secluded and you lose the trap - and have the stink if they can't get free and perish.
I've caught a dozen or more this winter already. The process continues until no more mice appear in the traps.

Blocking holes is a waste of time. They will only find new ones or make them. Instead, leave the existing routes and use them as known entry points and place traps accordingly.
Humane traps work best. Poison leaves them stinking behind a wall and the snapper type often as not only partially catches them and they'll chew a limb off to escape - usually dragging the trap somewhere more secluded and you lose the trap - and have the stink if they can't get free and perish.
I've caught a dozen or more this winter already. The process continues until no more mice appear in the traps.
Good advice 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom