• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How do I get my 3.0 V6 to change gear so I can roll it onto recovery truck ?

KramEkard

Car
2010 Mercedes E350 3.0 v6
My car hasn't been driven or starter in 3 or 4 months, was doing injector seals when 2 bolts snapped and so it's due to be recovered to a garage on Wednesday but thing is the car is in park mode and handbrake is on I tried shifting it into other gears but it won't now, is it because the battery might be weak or something, what can I do please help urgently

Depending in the model, there's usually a hidden small mechanical lever that allows you to take the automatic transmission out of P and into N, exactly for these circumstances. But you'll have to Google it to find the location of the lever on your particular model.

My car hasn't been driven or starter in 3 or 4 months, was doing injector seals when 2 bolts snapped and so it's due to be recovered to a garage on Wednesday but thing is the car is in park mode and handbrake is on I tried shifting it into other gears but it won't now, is it because the battery might be weak or something, what can I do please help urgently
Battery low. You need ignition on to select neutral. I believe there may be a mechanical over-ride, have you checked YouTube?

Depending in the model, there's usually a hidden small mechanical lever that allows you to take the automatic transmission out of P and into N, exactly for these circumstances. But you'll have to Google it to find the location of the lever on your particular model.

See for example here, at 4:30 :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But, again, it varies from one model to another.

Or, charge the battery. Then the gearbox should release.

+1 for the battery. It won't take much juice to release it, and you're going to need to bring the battery back up again for many reasons.

The manual fiddle works, but it opens up risks of other issues. Best keep it simple.

If all these things don't work, the tow truck may have skates for the rear wheels. Again, a workaround but not ideal.

Having watched the above vid (which isn't even a MB), the first thing I would do is the same as DSM10000 ... and others.
Charge the battery.
It may save you a whole load of grief.
What have you got to lose ?!

Try charging the battery. But my CLS55 would only shift with the engine running. When it broke down the RAC guy freed the mechanical interlock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom