Votes: 31 34.4%
  • 3 people most of the time

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 4 people most of the time

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • 5+ most of the time

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While this would seem logical, it is also the opposite of what has happened in the past.

While this has a lot to do with modern safety features requiring more room, it is also because we expect more luxury & space in a car than in years previously.

Each successive model has been sold on more space and size, but unfortunately this adds weight and means they no longer fit in parking spaces or garages and consume a a lot more fuel.

It's about time designers and engineers got back to good packaging and efficiency measures.

Fortunately the requirements for lower emissions are starting this trend. The new Mazda3 is 200lb lighter than the old model.

Last edited:
Umm, yes. $18,000 to $108,000.

The cheapy for a regular go slow version, the top price for a bespoke supercar.

Well this is obviously the answer to all of the worlds ecology problems at a very affordable price then! :rolleyes:
I guess importing would be extra too!

Well this is obviously the answer to all of the worlds ecology problems at a very affordable price then! :rolleyes:
I guess importing would be extra too!

Sorry, I must be missing something.
A low production supercar for $108,000 isn't excessive. Put it against something like a Bristol, for instance.
When the exchange rate was 2:1 it would make the regular 'Comutercar' £9k with virtually no further running costs.

Seems pretty cheap overall costs to me, especially for low volume production.

I think we may need to look outside the box and think about going for single seater type cars with excellent areo dynamics

Of course, the big fault with this is you (and everyone else) would then need two cars, your single seater and the 'normal' car. Or would you have a single seater, a two seater, a four seater and an estate? Where do you stop?

I have a 7 seat W124, and it's just my wife and I, plus three Airedale Terriers, and I'm happy with that!

During the week it's me and son in morning (till I drop him at the bus stop), then mostly me for the rest of the day. At weekends it can be 5 or more, which is why I need a big car.

I experimented with a Smart 4-2 Brabus for a while, but I still needed a bigger car, hence it would cost me more to run 2 cars. That's why single seaters will only ever be a niche market - most people need a bigger car for some of the time. And what about the weekly shop? - Lidl & Aldi don't do online delivery :rolleyes:

I do most journeys on my own, then just me and one other. SO a 2 seater eh? I had one, a Z3, and it was one of the most impractical cars! Lovely but no good for boot space (2 seater cars tend to reduce the number of seats and space everywhere else), no good for my dog, or if I wanted to take more than one say suitcase.

Much prefer having the option with a regular 5 seater to use it for myself, the dog, friends etc I go away with or offer lifts to. :) I wouldn't have another 2 seater unless I had another car alongside.

C: 98%+ one up
ML: 98% at least three-up

In fact I've only had more than one passenger in the C once - more than 3 years ago!!

I keep thinking about getting a SMART as I drive alone so much, but would need to keep the C too as it's company policy to use a car with more than 2 seats for business, even if only me travelling to a different office.

Just me during the week, then all four of us at the weekend, wife her and the little ones..

99% on my own. But I recently got just over 50 mpg on a run. It just gets better and better. So I don't feel too guilty.

I have to admit that I mostly travel alone in the S Class. That may seem wasteful, but no smaller car takes so much care of me as the S. You can arrive as fresh as you start out. When this ability is matched by smaller cars I'll have one in a shot.
But for now I use the the bike when the weather is good and get 60mpg instead of 45....but the laptop dosn't really take to well to the V-twin vibes!:(

As I ride to work I don't tend to use the ML during the week.

Weekend however it earns its keep, minimum 3 with pram, bikes, toddler stuff. More often than not 6 (4 adults and two little uns) plus double the amount of baby stuff....

Wifes A class, generally just her or her and daughter. Although we did use it last weekend and I liked it, over 120 miles pottering around. Just wish it was auto :)

work or leisure?

Work, just me 99.9% of the time. Outside work prbably 60% of the time 'the boss' is with me.

I heard another interesting statistic on the radio recently; the majority of cars spend 95% of their lifetime parked up!

Most of the time it is 'just me' , but at least two or three times a week , mum & baby join me , occasionally I will have 3 adults + baby . So I do use my seating capacity fairly regularly .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom