How to get Internet access on COMAND

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woter324

Car
C63 Saloon (W205)
As a bit of a geek, I'm ashamed to admit I had to turn to the internet to try and work out how to hook up my COMAND NTG5 to the web via my mobile phone. Alas, there's not a lot of information on it, so I'll attempt to rectify it, mainly because someone was reporting how easy BMW's system works and how complicated MB's solution is. Actually, once you know how, it's easy and it's more of a feature on the phone than COMAND's shortcomings.

Firstly, let me clarify a few bits (Go to the bit in red, to skip my mumblings):

Bluetooth
COMAND connects to your phone via Bluetooth (BT) - a wireless technology design for transmitting data over short distances. Any BT device has one or more "Profiles" available, depending on what the device does. For example, a BT computer mouse or keyboard would have the Human Interface Device (HID) profile.

COMAND makes use of the following BT profiles:

1. Telephony
Make and receive calls: Hands-Free Profile (HFP).
Access telephone phone book: Phone Book Access Profile (PBA)

2. Audio (Media)
Play music stored on phone: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
Navigate music tracks stored on your phone, using COMAND: Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)

3. Internet
Use your phone's data connection (tether) to browse the internet on the COMAND: Dial-Up Networking (DUN).

Most modern smart phones will have 1 & 2. Strangely, modern phones seem not to bother with DUN so much.

WiFi
WiFi is what most of us have in the home or use in a Starbucks to connect our "wireless" devices to the Internet. If you've ever had to call up your Internet Service Provider, they have probably referred to it as a Wireless Router, or you may have seen the BT adverts for their Home Hub. This is all most need to know, but the fact is that "WiFi", or to give it its proper name, Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) is a fully fledged computer network. We need a router to connect our devices to the Internet, but the Internet and WiFi routers are separate entities. We can have a WiFi network without the Internet. Any device on the same WiFi network (negating security for a moment) can "talk" to each other.

Sometime you see the term WiFi Hotspot. An interchangeable term, but often it denotes that the network is public, as in anyone can connect to it - unlike your home WiFi (I hope).

How does this relate to COMAND? By default, the COMAND creates a WiFi network a wireless hotspot for your passenger's devices. It acts like your router at home. If you scan for WiFi networks in your car, you'll probably see something like MB-nnnnn-n. Although I haven't tried it, if you connected two devices to the car's WiFi network, the two devices should be able to communicate. If you look at the advanced settings of the WiFi connection, they will have a similar IP address, such as 192.168.1.n. If you had two sprogs, each with their own tablet, they could play a game together, the same as they might at home.

Internet Connectivity
So where does the Internet come in to all of this. Your phone can browse the Internet, but how does the COMAND? We let the COMAND share your phone's Internet connection in a similar way you may do this with a tablet, by enabling the "Personal Hotspot" feature on your phone. Your tablet then picks up a WiFi network created by your phone. This is known as "Tethering".

Ok, so now I have clarified a few bits (I hope), how do we hook up the Internet to the COMAND. To simplify things, put the WiFi connection part to one side for a moment. At this point we are only interested in connecting the phone to the COMAND via Bluetooth. We mentioned BT profiles earlier and the one that allows the COMAND to browse the Internet is the DUN BT profile, therefore your phone needs to support DUN.

So you've already "paired" your phone with COMAND, you know it supports DUN, but when you try and browse the Internet from COMAND, it shows as offline. The trick is to allow your phone to share its Internet Connection over Bluetooth. On an Android, this is done by:
1. Settings (Gear wheel)
2. More...
3. Bluetooth tethering = ON

(These settings may be slightly different for different versions of Android, but the key is to turn on Bluetooth tethering. Having never owned one of the white devices, I can't tell you if it will be similar or not).

Going back to WiFi, if you connect a device to the car's WiFi hotspot, it should have Internet Access too.

There is one caveat to all of this, your mobile phone provider has to allow tethering. I know EE does, and GiffGaff does (or at least, did) on all tariffs, apart from the unlimited data one. I can't speak for the others.

Connection flow:
Phase 1: COMAND ---(BT DUN)---> phone ----(3G/4G)---> Internet

Phase 2: Tablet ---(WiFi)--->COMAND

Bluetooth isn't the fastest of technologies any more, and your connection will be slow. If you have sprogs that whant internet access from their tablets, I'd omit the COMAND from the equation and just turn on your Personal Hotspot.

Hope this helps.

W.

Whatever happened to car games and conversation?

Still exists but no harm letting the internet keep you in touch with what is happening around you!

On another note this post should probably be stickied.

I've found another two Bluetooth profile used by COMAND:

SAP (SIM Access Profile). Used by COMAND to send and receive text messages. More about it in the online manual here.

MAP (Message Access Profile). Used by command for sending emails. Online manual details here.

I note the manual states that an email account is required. I wonder if the Google Mail app will count. It might only work if the built in email client is configured.

Googling the subject, I came across thisapp.
If SAP is not a supported profile on your phone, this app may add the functionality of SAP to your phone. It's not free, although there's a trial version available. Be aware that you may need to root your phone to get it to work. (Most banking applications will not work on rooted phones).

A way to see what BT profiles are available on your phone is to connect your phone to your laptop via Bluetooth and look at the "services" tab under " View Device Properties":
pkpDuoXOEUBQzHicA3jf9cBlBBt9B3sS-U1vPd4GrIo

Interestingly, I have SAP, but COMAND errors when trying to send text messages. "MAP email" is not ticked :mad: so I guess I won't be sending emails from the car any time soon.

I have also found an app here that has to be manually installed. I hope it will add MAP. I'll try it tomorrow.

All for now.

Thanks,

W.

P.S. Hidden in the page of MB's website, I've found a firmware update specifically for SAP. Scrub that. It's only for the Telephone Module (Cradle).

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I have just upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S5 to a S7 edge on a Vodafone contract and now I can no longer access the internet on Comand Online :-(

The new S7e had been successfully paired to my car via Bluetooth and I can make and receive phone calls, access my phonebook from the Comand Telephone menu, as well as send and receive txt messages.

Of course, I had enabled the mobile hotspot and activated Bluetooth tethering on the S7, but Comand cannot get online anymore. If I check the status of the internet connection on Comand, it always says "connecting", but never gets online.

Does anyone have any experience of pairing a S7 with Comand v5 ?

Cheers

Fab

I can't get my iPhone to connect for in-car internet at all. It's rather frustrating as the wife likes to work on long journeys, so a car hotspot would be useful.

I can't get my iPhone to connect for in-car internet at all. It's rather frustrating as the wife likes to work on long journeys, so a car hotspot would be useful.

As far as I know you can only use the Internet whilst stationary. Just like DVD's. :wallbash:

Happytalk73 said:
As far as I know you can only use the Internet whilst stationary. Just like DVD's. :wallbash:

Thanks for the info, but it was the use as a WiFi hub I was looking for, although the Internet doesn't work while parked either. I think I'll pop to MB and ask for a quick overview of how the thing works. The book that came with the car isn't very helpful.

As a bit of a geek, I'm ashamed to admit I had to turn to the internet to try and work out how to hook up my COMAND NTG5 to the web via my mobile phone. Alas, there's not a lot of information on it, so I'll attempt to rectify it, mainly because someone was reporting how easy BMW's system works and how complicated MB's solution is. Actually, once you know how, it's easy and it's more of a feature on the phone than COMAND's shortcomings.

Firstly, let me clarify a few bits (Go to the bit in red, to skip my mumblings):

Bluetooth
COMAND connects to your phone via Bluetooth (BT) - a wireless technology design for transmitting data over short distances. Any BT device has one or more "Profiles" available, depending on what the device does. For example, a BT computer mouse or keyboard would have the Human Interface Device (HID) profile.

COMAND makes use of the following BT profiles:

1. Telephony
Make and receive calls: Hands-Free Profile (HFP).
Access telephone phone book: Phone Book Access Profile (PBA)

2. Audio (Media)
Play music stored on phone: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
Navigate music tracks stored on your phone, using COMAND: Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)

3. Internet
Use your phone's data connection (tether) to browse the internet on the COMAND: Dial-Up Networking (DUN).

Most modern smart phones will have 1 & 2. Strangely, modern phones seem not to bother with DUN so much.

WiFi
WiFi is what most of us have in the home or use in a Starbucks to connect our "wireless" devices to the Internet. If you've ever had to call up your Internet Service Provider, they have probably referred to it as a Wireless Router, or you may have seen the BT adverts for their Home Hub. This is all most need to know, but the fact is that "WiFi", or to give it its proper name, Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) is a fully fledged computer network. We need a router to connect our devices to the Internet, but the Internet and WiFi routers are separate entities. We can have a WiFi network without the Internet. Any device on the same WiFi network (negating security for a moment) can "talk" to each other.

Sometime you see the term WiFi Hotspot. An interchangeable term, but often it denotes that the network is public, as in anyone can connect to it - unlike your home WiFi (I hope).

How does this relate to COMAND? By default, the COMAND creates a WiFi network a wireless hotspot for your passenger's devices. It acts like your router at home. If you scan for WiFi networks in your car, you'll probably see something like MB-nnnnn-n. Although I haven't tried it, if you connected two devices to the car's WiFi network, the two devices should be able to communicate. If you look at the advanced settings of the WiFi connection, they will have a similar IP address, such as 192.168.1.n. If you had two sprogs, each with their own tablet, they could play a game together, the same as they might at home.

Internet Connectivity
So where does the Internet come in to all of this. Your phone can browse the Internet, but how does the COMAND? We let the COMAND share your phone's Internet connection in a similar way you may do this with a tablet, by enabling the "Personal Hotspot" feature on your phone. Your tablet then picks up a WiFi network created by your phone. This is known as "Tethering".

Ok, so now I have clarified a few bits (I hope), how do we hook up the Internet to the COMAND. To simplify things, put the WiFi connection part to one side for a moment. At this point we are only interested in connecting the phone to the COMAND via Bluetooth. We mentioned BT profiles earlier and the one that allows the COMAND to browse the Internet is the DUN BT profile, therefore your phone needs to support DUN.

So you've already "paired" your phone with COMAND, you know it supports DUN, but when you try and browse the Internet from COMAND, it shows as offline. The trick is to allow your phone to share its Internet Connection over Bluetooth. On an Android, this is done by:
1. Settings (Gear wheel)
2. More...
3. Bluetooth tethering = ON

(These settings may be slightly different for different versions of Android, but the key is to turn on Bluetooth tethering. Having never owned one of the white devices, I can't tell you if it will be similar or not).

Going back to WiFi, if you connect a device to the car's WiFi hotspot, it should have Internet Access too.

There is one caveat to all of this, your mobile phone provider has to allow tethering. I know EE does, and GiffGaff does (or at least, did) on all tariffs, apart from the unlimited data one. I can't speak for the others.

Connection flow:
Phase 1: COMAND ---(BT DUN)---> phone ----(3G/4G)---> Internet

Phase 2: Tablet ---(WiFi)--->COMAND

Bluetooth isn't the fastest of technologies any more, and your connection will be slow. If you have sprogs that whant internet access from their tablets, I'd omit the COMAND from the equation and just turn on your Personal Hotspot.

Hope this helps.

W.
I am struggling with this.... I want to connect Command to my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone to be able to listen to internet radio via the phones' data plan......I cant justify taking out a plan with MB just for that!
I can connect to Command via bluetooth to stream media to the car
I can make & receive calls and access my phones address book from Command
I cannot connect to the phones hotspot - the phone does briefly show "MB-COMMAND" as a connected device and the phone uses about 25Kb of data but then it disconnects

Your issue may or may not be connected to this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom