HOW TO: Remove a CDI injector with "black death"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good write-up. I had the same issue with my Vito W639. If you can't get the above spray. I found Wynns carb and fuel injector cleaner from Halfords worked far better than any of the so-called diesel injector cleaner sprays or carbon dissolving sprays from various companies every one of them was useless - even Wynns own one - bizarre!

Also, Mr. Muscle oven cleaner at circa £5 a tin is by far the most effective and cheapest carbon dissolver. But it warns not to be used on aluminium. I only used it on the injector. Carefull not to risk getting it on the tip in case the very aggressive chemicals etch the VERY fine injector tip.

With regard to pulling an injector. The furthest injector in the Vito 2.1 (W639) engine is so far under the body you can't get a slide hammer on it. So I slackened the injector securing bolt a full turn figuring it would eventually loosen itself. It took 8 months! That said, it was only ever so slightly leaking. Slackening the bolt made no difference to the leak rate - at the time. There was virtually no residue from it, as it was only ever so slightly leaking. Very minor occasional bubbles could be seen. But the residue from the other leaking injectors coupled with the dissolved sound proofing filled the recess that injector sat in with that horrible hard tar. So seized the injector in place. But even cleaning it as much as I could, and it was pretty good, the residual tar held the injector firmly in place. It eventually came loose and the loss in pressure was sensed by the fuel rail pressure sensor and put the engine into limp mode. That reset upon shut-off and start-up, and as long as I didn't accelerate hard it ran fine to get me home. The injector pulled out relatively easily.

One technique I found worked quite well if you don't have a slide hammer, is I left the injector hold down plate in place (I don't know its official name) and because it locks into two flat faces on the injector, it is essentially a short spanner which if you put two large flat screwdrivers either side of it you lever against the head to turn the injector clockwise and anti-clockwise a couple of degrees to eventually loosen the injector in combination with the carb cleaner spray. Be careful not to apply too much force you could damage the section of the cylinder head you are levering against!

As an alternative to the tap for cleaning the thread for the bolt that secures the injector, I ground a couple of grooves in the old bolt with a cutting disk for a dremel. They are very thin. It worked a treat to effectively make a 'soft' tap. i.e. you can't cut a thread or worse, cross thread which is possible if you aren't careful with a proper tap in the head.

The biggest issue I had was bleeding the fuel system. I read loads of advice and contacted a mechanic mate. The general advice was to persevere, but do not crank the engine over for more than 30secs or you'll risk burning out the starter motor.

I thought I was beat after numerous attempts and flattened batteries. It occurred to me what are you supposed to do if you run out of diesel? I figured the owners manual must surely have some advice - it does. It clearly states you must crank the engine for a least one continuous minute and DO NOT interrupt this. 40 Seconds in it started!

One other tip; be careful not to damage the injector’s electrical plugs. I found the tar like substance which had completely encased the electrical connector had made some of the plastics brittle e.g. the injector bleed off pipe connectors. That’s the worlds most expensive hose at £105!! So I was VERY careful with the plastic injector’s electrical plug.

You can but metal T piece connectors on ebay for the leak off pipe. I changed mine after one broke during an injector removal. Much better.

Might be a stupid question but, how do you vacuum the holes once injector is removed ? I can only assume stick a tiny pipe down the holes that has to be attatched to a Hoover somehow ?

Might be a stupid question but, how do you vacuum the holes once injector is removed ? I can only assume stick a tiny pipe down the holes that has to be attatched to a Hoover somehow ?

Exactly that. Small pipe taped to the end of a vacuum pipe or you can blow them out if you have an air line

Exactly that. Small pipe taped to the end of a vacuum pipe or you can blow them out if you have an air line
I have a bicycle pump with 9"of electrical earth shield (the hollow green &yellow stuff ) about3-4mm diameter fixed to the outlet with insulating tape. Poke it down the bolt hole and give it a couple of strong pumps before and after running the tap down the thread. Goes without saying to mask off the injector hole!

So helpful!

Thanks for taking the time to do this how to Blackc55. Much appreciated, even though i do not have black death yet.

Hi, can someone tell me how to release the leak off connections from Vito W369 -111CDI 2010. I had a bad case of Black Death, cleaned up and found one leaking injector. I was abke to loosen ckamp bolt but cannot work it how to release the four leak off return connectors.
Good write-up. I had the same issue with my Vito W639. If you can't get the above spray. I found Wynns carb and fuel injector cleaner from Halfords worked far better than any of the so-called diesel injector cleaner sprays or carbon dissolving sprays from various companies every one of them was useless - even Wynns own one - bizarre!

Also, Mr. Muscle oven cleaner at circa £5 a tin is by far the most effective and cheapest carbon dissolver. But it warns not to be used on aluminium. I only used it on the injector. Carefull not to risk getting it on the tip in case the very aggressive chemicals etch the VERY fine injector tip.

With regard to pulling an injector. The furthest injector in the Vito 2.1 (W639) engine is so far under the body you can't get a slide hammer on it. So I slackened the injector securing bolt a full turn figuring it would eventually loosen itself. It took 8 months! That said, it was only ever so slightly leaking. Slackening the bolt made no difference to the leak rate - at the time. There was virtually no residue from it, as it was only ever so slightly leaking. Very minor occasional bubbles could be seen. But the residue from the other leaking injectors coupled with the dissolved sound proofing filled the recess that injector sat in with that horrible hard tar. So seized the injector in place. But even cleaning it as much as I could, and it was pretty good, the residual tar held the injector firmly in place. It eventually came loose and the loss in pressure was sensed by the fuel rail pressure sensor and put the engine into limp mode. That reset upon shut-off and start-up, and as long as I didn't accelerate hard it ran fine to get me home. The injector pulled out relatively easily.

One technique I found worked quite well if you don't have a slide hammer, is I left the injector hold down plate in place (I don't know its official name) and because it locks into two flat faces on the injector, it is essentially a short spanner which if you put two large flat screwdrivers either side of it you lever against the head to turn the injector clockwise and anti-clockwise a couple of degrees to eventually loosen the injector in combination with the carb cleaner spray. Be careful not to apply too much force you could damage the section of the cylinder head you are levering against!

As an alternative to the tap for cleaning the thread for the bolt that secures the injector, I ground a couple of grooves in the old bolt with a cutting disk for a dremel. They are very thin. It worked a treat to effectively make a 'soft' tap. i.e. you can't cut a thread or worse, cross thread which is possible if you aren't careful with a proper tap in the head.

The biggest issue I had was bleeding the fuel system. I read loads of advice and contacted a mechanic mate. The general advice was to persevere, but do not crank the engine over for more than 30secs or you'll risk burning out the starter motor.

I thought I was beat after numerous attempts and flattened batteries. It occurred to me what are you supposed to do if you run out of diesel? I figured the owners manual must surely have some advice - it does. It clearly states you must crank the engine for a least one continuous minute and DO NOT interrupt this. 40 Seconds in it started!

One other tip; be careful not to damage the injector’s electrical plugs. I found the tar like substance which had completely encased the electrical connector had made some of the plastics brittle e.g. the injector bleed off pipe connectors. That’s the worlds most expensive hose at £105!! So I was VERY careful with the plastic injector’s electrical plug.
Thank you. Can you tell me how to release the leak off pipe connections. As you say very brittle. They move freely from side to side but I cannot see how they release. Thanks

For injector hold down bolt clean out I /We use an aircraft length 6x1mm tap.
A jobber length won't "cut it"!,

For clean up & carbon removal we use this , it melts all the carbon into liquid form.

When using this a caution, (con cautela Senores )
Crank the engine a few revolutions without injectors "to clear" the cylinder(s)

Yes the injector hold down bolt for us MUST NEVER be used again , its new every time!
The MB kit on this side comes with the bolt ,wave sealing washer and a sachet of anti seize grease for the injector shank.
In the absence of the grease compound use this:-

Klan tools for a DIY' r, and one off jobs , is darn expensive.
The Chinese make one which works and is much much cheaper for NON Piezo types :-

All the best on this from the Americas.
Tuerca viejas

Last edited:
Hi, can someone tell me how to release the leak off connections from Vito W369 -111CDI 2010. I had a bad case of Black Death, cleaned up and found one leaking injector. I was abke to loosen ckamp bolt but cannot work it how to release the four leak off return connectors.

Thank you. Can you tell me how to release the leak off pipe connections. As you say very brittle. They move freely from side to side but I cannot see how they release. Thanks
Yes my brother uses Mr Muscle in his UK (Gloucester) shop ,but my US customers object to the surface corrosion patches it leaves.
TV

I have a bicycle pump with 9"of electrical earth shield (the hollow green &yellow stuff ) about3-4mm diameter fixed to the outlet with insulating tape. Poke it down the bolt hole and give it a couple of strong pumps before and after running the tap down the thread. Goes without saying to mask off the injector hole!
Here's a tip which is more than 100 years old.
' Passed down from my grandfather "Oliver,W," Sopwith aero mechanic 1914 to 1918 RFC .

Take in this case an old injector "bolt , & run a 6x1 mm nut all the way up to the top of the threads.

Placing the bolt in the vice held by the bolt head, file a flat no more than 1/4 of the bolt diameter all the way down the shank .
Now run the nut back down & out to clear any fraze left by filing on the threads etc.
Then with some oil /grease & solvent , clear the clogged threads, by carefully screwing in the modified bolt until it bottoms
During the process, removing it frequently to clear debris scooped up the flat you have filed.
This prevents bind up just like regular tap, or thread chaser
Try it it , the technique works all types of threads even crossed spark plugs.
Tuercas viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom