How to remove the Audio 20 Mercedes B Class W245

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigmacplease

Car
W245 B170 & R170 SLK320
Hello All,

I used the great mercupgrades.com guide to remove my Audio 20 headunit today and I thought I would add a few pictures to help anyone else who attempts this.

First is the removal of the air vents. The catches you need to pull are located in the top slot of the grille on the outside edges about 20mm in. If you shine a torch in you will see them.

b1.jpg

These are the tabs you pull in. Insert the mercedes pulling hooks at 3 o'clock and then turn to 12 and pull!

b2.jpg

The next tough part that you need to face is the bottom surround around the AC units. The catches are located as follows.

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

You need to use plastic spreaders to separate the plastic and then insert a flat head screw driver and pop one of the bottom corners out. Use plenty of force as its held in there well!

Do NOT touch the ally trim as it dents if you fart!

Heres a pic of what you should end up with :)

b7.jpg

The rest is clearly shown in the great guide and I hope this helps those who try this in the future.

Help.I have just joined MBclub and cannot find anywhere to ask a question.My problem is with the system 20 in B class W 245. .Everything works except no sound whatsoever.This happened between switching off radio and switching on the next time.My question is Where is the amplifier and the fuse for it.Thank you in advance.

It would have been better to post this in its own thread.

*if* you have Harmon Kardon then the amplifier is behind panel on right in the boot.

If you don't it is in the Audio-20. I have not seen a car with Audio-20 and Harmon Kardon sound upgrade, so I guess the latter.

Pull the fuse for the Audio system (and the phone and CDC if you have them) for 20 seconds and re-insert. May be easiest to disconnect the battery - just undo the earth wire (BROWN) leave the red one well alone

Cheers

Richard

An old thread but looks very helpful to my needs, I am planning installing an Active sub and need to connect it to the back of the steroe.
This guide mentions using a Mercedes pulling hooks, anyone know what these are?

There is another thread running about the W169 stereo removal. The procedure for you is the same as that.

Wow old thread.

I still have the tool in the kitchen drawer at home if anyone wants them!

Bery generous offer Mac.
Alfie I had a quick look but can't find that thread any chance of a link please?
I also read that you shouldn't disconnect the red cable from the battery under any circumstances... Why so?

Lastly, anyone fitted an under seat subwoofer on here? Any tips to watch out for?

Last edited:
Bery generous offer Mac.
Alfie I had a quick look but can't find that thread any chance of a link please?
I also read that you shouldn't disconnect the red cable from the battery under any circumstances... Why so?

Lastly, anyone fitted an under seat subwoofer on here? Any tips to watch out for?

Speak to GLK, he has put a solution up on the other forum.

Basically dont be tempted to lever anything against those two trims that run down the side of the centre console.

Why are you thinking of disconnecting the red cable? You dont need to disconnect the battery at all to perform a stereo change. If you do need to cut power completely to the car, remove the earth lead. Ive had my entire fuse box out of my A class which necessitated removal of the battery completely. Its not too bad but you should only do this sort of thing if you really need to.

Basically dont be tempted to lever anything against those two trims that run down the side of the centre console.

This should be printed in large capitals at the top of every page dealing with anything remotely related to centre console in W169 / W245 :thumb:

Got it guys, don't touch the two silver side trims...... not even to clean them!

I just read that you should never unplug the red cable is all, wasn't planning on doing it, I'd guess it messes all the electric setting up throughout the car, alarm/immobilser, radio codes etc.

GLK can you direct me to this other forum post please?

Sure, but the step-by-step guide in this thread is more detailed, to be honest :thumb:

Anyway - here it is:
W169 Head unit removal - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

I hope I won't get in trouble for posting a link to another forum :ban:

As already been said, you do not need to disconnect the battery, or anything that drastic.

Remove the vents, unclip the a/c controls surround, then undo the screws and pull out the head unit. Unplug the connector and find where your subwoofer needs to be connected. If you post details of your head unit, I or someone else, might have the pinout for the connectors on the back (I have Audio20 and COMAND ntg2 I think).

FWIT, I have a factory option subwoofer (in the spare wheel), but I didn't take any pictures of the back of my Audio20, when I removed it to fit an AUX lead...

Awesome Dave!
That's a thank you and a statement of fact!
Will let you know how I get on.

https://www.smartworldcompany.com/h...e-of-car-radio-head-unit-on-my-mercedes-benz/

According to the above website my stereo is called a NTG1 Audio 20, here is a picture of my stereo to match it up....
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/209097-b-class-w245-aluminium-dashboard-trim-kit.html

I'm trying to find out the wattage output of my stereo, is it 4 x 20w, 4 x 30w, maybe 4 x 40w, or maybe a hefty 4 x 50w?

Your audio unit is NTG2 not NTG1.

Output is probably 4x20W

I'll go with you then Alfie over that website I linked, thanks.

So the next question is, will upgrading the aftermarket speakers rated at 40W RMS (150W max) prove ineffective if the headunit only supplies 20w per speaker?

I'm just trying to improve the sound quality at a higher volume level (doing all things at once I know - shame face)

I'm afraid I won't be much help with output wattage rating and its suitability - don't know much about it :dk:
This is the area for professionals, luckily Mark is here to advise.

I can however, get you a pinout for the unit - it is exactly the same as in my A200 - Audio20 NTG2:

29975012666_03159f61ab_o.png

I successfully connected AUX input to 12/11/6, just as listed here.

To help as I did this and I though some decent images would help people enormously.
The fascia you are removing is actually two ply, a softer front and more brittle rear, the rear is held in by two prongs each side, in teasing it out you may pull off the front ply so be mindful to get behind the whole, i needed add some glue to reattach the two plys before reinstalling.
The prongs are about 2cm from the top and the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom