HOW TO: Removing Headlights W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyjester900

Car
C200 W202
Hey guys i searched the net trying to find a how to guide on removing the lights on a W202, i couldn't so i thought i'd make one. .
For the front left light (same for right)
I have a 1996 W202.

So here we go (my first one so any help welcome :))

Firstly open the bonnet on the car and push the bonnet all the way up giving you plenty of room.

21082008093.jpg

Next remove the corner light on the car, to do so put your hand behind the light and squeeze together the clip and push out.

21082008095.jpg

Once that is out you can see two bolts on the side, remove these.
21082008100.jpg

There is a piece of trim that runs underneath the light. there is 3 screws holding these on.
21082008098.jpg

And the third one.
25082008109.jpg

Take out the trim, leave it hanging as the rubber runs all around the car.
25082008117.jpg

It can help, as it gives you more room but it is not necessary. Remove the front plastic guard.
25082008110.jpg

The next step is to remove this piece of trim. It is clipped in, in two places
both these clips on my car are clips that you push the middle all the way threw and then pull out to remove (a little tricky) One clip is on the top and the second is in the middle-right..
25082008111.jpg

Once this is removed you can see another bolt, use a spanner to undo it. take your time as you can only undo it a little bit at a time, also plastic become brittle over time so be careful as it can crack.
25082008114.jpg

There is now only one screw left for you to remove the headlight, just make sure you support the light when undo it as it will fall a little, not much though but just to be careful. This is a long one so keep twisting!!! :)
25082008115.jpg

Ok, that is basically it. The light is now ready to slowly take out. But DON'T PULL IT STRAIGHT OUT, there are two things still attached to the car. The power to the light cluster and also the adjustable light hose. Its a small purple hose, it's the thing that makes the lights go up and down. (For when you have a trailer or extra weight in the back)
25082008119.jpg

Ok, Light is now out.
25082008120.jpg

I hope this helps people who want to do this, Please if you think i have left anything out or need to add to it more to make it a more complete HOW-TO.
Please let me know as i want to do this right...

Removing the right light is exactly the same.
Re-Installing the light is the reverse

i can confirm (as i did it at the weekend), that W124 is the same........

Its identical up to picture 5.

There is the bolt/plastic clip at the top of the light aswell as in your pics

There is the final bolt on the side of the light on the grille side but there is no plastic trim to remove on a 124.

Hope this helps someone!

Also, if you have headlamp wash then you need to pop off the hose off the nipple and also unbolt the wiper from the motor. I guess this would also apply to W202 aswell.. The wiring for this also needs to be unclipped aswell before the light is removed. On the 124 the motor is attached to the light cluster so comes out with it.

Most of these bolts holding the light on are 8mm.

Derek

I'm about to change the glass on both my headlights, and I was wondering if these bolt on or are glued in any way? If anyone could take a picture or two of the process that would be great as I'm working outside in the dark! :)

Crazyjester900: Would the colour on your 202 happen to be nautikblau metallic?

Last edited:
if i remember correclty, you do'nt have to take the headlight out to remove the glass, just pop the indicator out and remove the bit of trim under the light (1 screw each side), and you should have access to the clips that hold the glass in place. will take about 10 min each side, maybe a bit longer in the dark!

as gchild said, also clips are quite hard to take off, and if your not carefull when putting them back, you could chip\crack the lens (i did this - DOH).

changing the headlight glass for me was a nice refresher of how good/easy benz's could be to work on for a novice!

Argh! You have to remove the whole thing to do it as it's screwed on in three places!

Last edited:
Hey guys i searched the net trying to find a how to guide on removing the lights on a W202, i couldn't so i thought i'd make one. .
For the front left light (same for right)
I have a 1996 W202.

So here we go (my first one so any help welcome :))

Firstly open the bonnet on the car and push the bonnet all the way up giving you plenty of room.

21082008093.jpg

Next remove the corner light on the car, to do so put your hand behind the light and squeeze together the clip and push out.

21082008095.jpg

Once that is out you can see two bolts on the side, remove these.
21082008100.jpg

There is a piece of trim that runs underneath the light. there is 3 screws holding these on.
21082008098.jpg

And the third one.
25082008109.jpg

Take out the trim, leave it hanging as the rubber runs all around the car.
25082008117.jpg

It can help, as it gives you more room but it is not necessary. Remove the front plastic guard.
25082008110.jpg

The next step is to remove this piece of trim. It is clipped in, in two places
both these clips on my car are clips that you push the middle all the way threw and then pull out to remove (a little tricky) One clip is on the top and the second is in the middle-right..
25082008111.jpg

Once this is removed you can see another bolt, use a spanner to undo it. take your time as you can only undo it a little bit at a time, also plastic become brittle over time so be careful as it can crack.
25082008114.jpg

There is now only one screw left for you to remove the headlight, just make sure you support the light when undo it as it will fall a little, not much though but just to be careful. This is a long one so keep twisting!!! :)
25082008115.jpg

Ok, that is basically it. The light is now ready to slowly take out. But DON'T PULL IT STRAIGHT OUT, there are two things still attached to the car. The power to the light cluster and also the adjustable light hose. Its a small purple hose, it's the thing that makes the lights go up and down. (For when you have a trailer or extra weight in the back)
25082008119.jpg

Ok, Light is now out.
25082008120.jpg

I hope this helps people who want to do this, Please if you think i have left anything out or need to add to it more to make it a more complete HOW-TO.
Please let me know as i want to do this right...

Removing the right light is exactly the same.
Re-Installing the light is the reverse
It's 2021.....still the best instruction out there. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom