I changed my oil using the Lidl oil extractor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Here's how a very nervous firstimer got on with doing an oil change using the Lidl 12v oil extractor. I asked lots of questions on this forum (thanks for the advice) watched loads of youtube videos and read reviews online. The majority of reviews where positive but there was people who had bad experiences. My main concerns where not getting the majority of the old oil out and obviously totally fudging it up.
I bought a Mann HU10z oil filter (more on this later) after advice from here I bought the oil on EBay from Mercedes Newcastle (£40 delivered for 7ltrs) ordered a oil filter socket on EBay for £4.99 delivered.
As I was concerned about how much I would get out I got three 2ltr old plastic bottles and 1 and1/2 ltr one. The pump says maximum oil temp of 60c had a bit of running around to do approximately 8 miles in total so when I got back let it cool down for 30mins. I put all the bottles into a bucket to keep them from falling over and got the pump set up.
I have a temperature gun so pulled dip stick and oil on bottom of stick was reading 23.4c. Put one end of tube into first bottle and other down dipstick tube till I felt the bottom pulled it ever so slightly back connected pump to battery and switched on.
The instructions say flow rate is 0.2ltr a minute. I kid you not I filled the first 2ltr bottle in less than 3 mins I had the three 2ltr bottles filled in 10 minutes I had to keep switching pump off to put the tube into a new bottle. I cracked open the oil filter housing and let it sit a while then turned pump back on and got more oil out. In total it looks like I got more than 6.5ltrs out.
Onto oil filter change first thing I noticed was that the one fitted (Mercedes original) had like a plastic cap on each end whereas my Man filter was totally flat fabric sort of material on the ends. Having checked again the Man filter I had (HU10z) is listed as correct. If it isn't please someone on here let me know!
New filter fitted onto filling up with oil put the 5ltr container in and checked the level. First shock was oil was already dark. Felt mild panic had I left loads of oil in? But I couldn't have as I was looking at all these bottles full of oil. I was so glad I decided to measure what I got out otherwise I would have convinced myself load of old oil was left in. I can only think the oil darkens from running through the engine on its way down. Next was after 5ltrs oil was a quarter up the dipstick then I remembered when started oil filter would take up some volume.
I put 6ltrs in total when car was run and left to stand for 10 mins it was just over half way up dipstick. When I checked from cold this morning it was just under full? Different advice on measuring oil some say cold some say warm anyway I'll check again after I've used it.
Anyway in conclusion I was amazed how fast and cleanly the pump got the oil out infact I spent more time just waiting doing nothing to ensure all the oil had a chance to drain down. You hear the pump make a different noise when it reaches the bottom of the oil supply and moving it around ensures you haven't missed any. A check of the dipstick came up dry as well.
If I can do it anyone can give it a go!

Having in detail the procedure I'm happy with my 6.5L manual pump oil extractor .

Only one container to fill with marked segments and can operate from full hot so no waiting around , measuring or guesswork.

I'm due to change the oil any day soon and it still won't be black considering it's a derv and I think Hengst and Bosch filters are superior to Mann .

If the Sealey 6.5L extractor broke ( my oil capacity is 6.5L too ) I'd buy a 9L ebay jobbie at a very keen price .

Onto oil filter change first thing I noticed was that the one fitted (Mercedes original) had like a plastic cap on each end whereas my Man filter was totally flat fabric sort of material on the ends. Having checked again the Man filter I had (HU10z) is listed as correct. If it isn't please someone on here let me know!

The filters with a sort of felt seal on the ends are common enough so I assume they are fine.

It's best to crack the filter housing before you start and then it can be draining down to the sump while the pump is running.

I've spent almost 50 years being anal about getting all the old oil out but in reality it's a futile exercise as there will always be some old oil left in inside the engine.

I bought the pump after advice on here, i am yet to do it has it has just been done, but nice to read your thread to make sure i have done the right think, thanks everyone.

The filters with a sort of felt seal on the ends are common enough so I assume they are fine.

It's best to crack the filter housing before you start and then it can be draining down to the sump while the pump is running.

I've spent almost 50 years being anal about getting all the old oil out but in reality it's a futile exercise as there will always be some old oil left in inside the engine.
True !!! does not matter which system you use, suction or drain plug, there will always be an amount of oil left, even if it's only a miniscule amount. But so what??? Its not a problem,

Here's how a very nervous firstimer got on with doing an oil change using the Lidl 12v oil extractor. I asked lots of questions on this forum (thanks for the advice) watched loads of youtube videos and read reviews online. The majority of reviews where positive but there was people who had bad experiences. My main concerns where not getting the majority of the old oil out and obviously totally fudging it up.
I bought a Mann HU10z oil filter (more on this later) after advice from here I bought the oil on EBay from Mercedes Newcastle (£40 delivered for 7ltrs) ordered a oil filter socket on EBay for £4.99 delivered.
As I was concerned about how much I would get out I got three 2ltr old plastic bottles and 1 and1/2 ltr one. The pump says maximum oil temp of 60c had a bit of running around to do approximately 8 miles in total so when I got back let it cool down for 30mins. I put all the bottles into a bucket to keep them from falling over and got the pump set up.
I have a temperature gun so pulled dip stick and oil on bottom of stick was reading 23.4c. Put one end of tube into first bottle and other down dipstick tube till I felt the bottom pulled it ever so slightly back connected pump to battery and switched on.
The instructions say flow rate is 0.2ltr a minute. I kid you not I filled the first 2ltr bottle in less than 3 mins I had the three 2ltr bottles filled in 10 minutes I had to keep switching pump off to put the tube into a new bottle. I cracked open the oil filter housing and let it sit a while then turned pump back on and got more oil out. In total it looks like I got more than 6.5ltrs out.
New filter fitted onto filling up with oil put the 5ltr container in and checked the level. First shock was oil was already dark. Felt mild panic had I left loads of oil in? But I couldn't have as I was looking at all these bottles full of oil. I was so glad I decided to measure what I got out otherwise I would have convinced myself load of old oil was left in. I can only think the oil darkens from running through the engine on its way down. Next was after 5ltrs oil was a quarter up the dipstick then I remembered when started oil filter would take up some volume.
I put 6ltrs in total when car was run and left to stand for 10 mins it was just over half way up dipstick. When I checked from cold this morning it was just under full? Different advice on measuring oil some say cold some say warm anyway I'll check again after I've used it.
Anyway in conclusion I was amazed how fast and cleanly the pump got the oil out infact I spent more time just waiting doing nothing to ensure all the oil had a chance to drain down. You hear the pump make a different noise when it reaches the bottom of the oil supply and moving it around ensures you haven't missed any. A check of the dipstick came up dry as well.
Well if you managed to get 6.5 + litres out, and bearing in mind that there will always be a small qty left.....I 'd say that you may have been slightly over filled prior to draining it? Which is why when I drain mine, I only refill 6 ltres, then drive it for a bit, let it rest overnight and check the level next morning..then I'll top it up as needed. I've never routinely checked a hot or even warm engine oil level, but thats just me. But anyway, congratulation's on a successful oil change using the vacuum method. Next change will be a lot easier !!!

I've got the Lidl pump too. Not used for oil change yet, but did use it to clear water, and fat, from a blocked drain. Unfortunately, it ended up getting overloaded and blew an internal fuse. Fortunately, it was a pretty simple repair job.

The 2 things I've learned about using the Lidl pump are 1) make sure your engine oil is hot, 2) don't run the pump dry. Everything else is a doddle.

BTW, 1st time I used it I removed the sump plug to see what was left & it was just drips.

I've got the Lidl pump too. Not used for oil change yet, but did use it to clear water, and fat, from a blocked drain. Unfortunately, it ended up getting overloaded and blew an internal fuse. Fortunately, it was a pretty simple repair job.

Didn't think you could use it for water could be wrong

That’s a nice clean and convenient way of removing oil, so long as the dipstick tube goes into the deep end of the sump. It’s not suitable for my SL unfortunately 😩

Well if you managed to get 6.5 + litres out, and bearing in mind that there will always be a small qty left.....I 'd say that you may have been slightly over filled prior to draining it? Which is why when I drain mine, I only refill 6 ltres, then drive it for a bit, let it rest overnight and check the level next morning..then I'll top it up as needed. I've never routinely checked a hot or even warm engine oil level, but thats just me. But anyway, congratulation's on a successful oil change using the vacuum method. Next change will be a lot easier !!!
That’s a nice clean and convenient way of removing oil, so long as the dipstick tube goes into the deep end of the sump. It’s not suitable for my SL unfortunately 😩
Yes, and even when the dipstick tube reaches the lowest point, you need to ensure that at the very least, the car is 100% level, and if possible, tilted in favour of the dipstick tube. With my 2014 220 CDI, I jack up the passenger side a bit to make sure that as much oil as possible is at the drain point, which is at the drivers side. Makes all the difference. I don't suppose that you could do something similar with your's Dickster???

It doesn't take much black oil to make all the clean new stuff black as well... it IS a diesel, after all.

It's only suspended particles of carbon, there are much worse elements to have in your oil!

Don't worry about it....

Yes, and even when the dipstick tube reaches the lowest point, you need to ensure that at the very least, the car is 100% level, and if possible, tilted in favour of the dipstick tube. With my 2014 220 CDI, I jack up the passenger side a bit to make sure that as much oil as possible is at the drain point, which is at the drivers side. Makes all the difference. I don't suppose that you could do something similar with your's Dickster???
No, my SL has a sump in two sections with two sump plugs.

Lidl has their oil suction pumps on sale from Thursday 18 March for £12.99👍

Lidl has their oil suction pumps on sale from Thursday 18 March for £12.99👍
I bought one a few years ago, first time I used it was fine, second time a year later it refused to work.
I've also had a Pela for years which just works every time no matter how long between using.

Old age of the simple nothing wrong Vs the mechanics + electrical , just like all the ****ing electronic rear caliper parking brakes .

If the design ain't broke don't ****ing fix it .

Lidl got them back in this week , Thursday special ? or it might be the Sunday One. not sure ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom