• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

I have the same AMG engine builder as Barbanosa

trando

Car
C63 AMG
Just spotted it on one of his posts. The guy that built his engine (C32 AMG) also built mine. What are the chances of that??

Torsten.jpg

so... I'm thinking that the whole "handcrafted" thing is a bit of a scam and these are just leftover badges from the C32 days?

:-)

so... I'm thinking that the whole "handcrafted" thing is a bit of a scam and these are just leftover badges from the E55 days?

:-)

I recently "met" a guy on Benzworld who lives in Australia who has the same engine builder as me. :rock:

He has an ML63.

:thumb:

It might be interesting for AMG owners to add the name of their engine builder to this thread. IIRC the name on mine isn't easily read!!

Is this thread for real?

If AMG engines were hand assembled by whoever happened to be walking past the factory gate that day, it would indeed be a coincidence that two engines were built by the same person. But, considering that, as soon as an AMG engineer has finished building one engine, he goes straight off and builds another, and then another, surely it is no surprise to find there are two cars out there on this forum built by the same person.:confused:

Don't they "handbuild" somewhere in the region of 18,000 units a year?

About 70 a day based on a 5 day week.

Is this thread for real?

If AMG engines were hand assembled by whoever happened to be walking past the factory gate that day, it would indeed be a coincidence that two engines were built by the same person. But, considering that, as soon as an AMG engineer has finished building one engine, he goes straight off and builds another, and then another, surely it is no surprise to find there are two cars out there on this forum built by the same person.:confused:

:thumb:

And how many engine builders work at the factory, can't be too many so its highly likely.

Agree and in theory you are right but it's still unusual to see it in the flesh. I've never come across it before...

There used to be - maybe still is - a link on the AMG website that shows the production line.

An engineer builds the engine using sub-assemblies, that are ready and waiting, hanging on rigs, and it goes together 'by hand' but assisted by machines.

Maybe that's guy is the same guy who built the engine in the CLS55 AMG, as tested by Top Gear a few years ago, too.

I seem to recall JC saying that "this was built by Torsten someone-or-other", during his little rant over the hand-built engine issue.

ETA:
I've just found the video, and it seems they have another Torsten working at AMG. See the video at 6 min 29. Torsten Royer it looks like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A5qTXVJYRo

Darren

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom