Improving Ride Comfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bloke

Car
C200 CDI Sports Edition 125
I currently have 255/35 ZR18 (rear) and 225/40 ZR40 (front) on my C 204 Sport.

What are the implications of downsizing the wheel size with higher profile tyres?

How do I go about it?

Ta

You could go for the non-Sport size of 225/45/17 or if you want staggered wheels 225/45/17 (front) and 245/40/17 (rears).

What you have to watch downsizing wheel diameter is the smaller wheel may foul the brake callipers - particularly the front. Good guide as to what will work is the owners hand book-- It usually lists the permitted winter wheel+ tyre combinations. These will generally be at least one diameter size down from the standard fitment.

My E46 BMW touring came with sports suspension and 18" wheels, and over the winter I swapped them out for 16" rims. The improvement to the ride was so good when changed, I'm keeping them on permanently. The 16's and sports suspension has proved to be an ideal combination of ride, damping and handling.

Perhaps give this a try? The brake caliper issue mentioned above should be noted though.

I think manufacturers have gone too far with their suspension and wheel combinations- or the manufacturers marketing teams to be more precise....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom