• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Indicator on but won't flash

lisa110rry

Car
1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
Yesterday at around mid day I was out and about and noticed that when I used my indicators they would light but wouldn't flash. Big worry! The car is already small enough and for some reason invisible to other drivers who seem to pull in front of it with gay abandon.

I went to my normal garage, but there was no quick fix, does anyone have an idea what might have gone wrong and whether it's likely to be expensive? I've just SORNed my 4wd so can't switch back to driving that and my husband's is Motability so can't drive that willy-nilly.

Grateful for any comments...

Is this happening both sides or just one?
Both sides I would suspect the flasher unit (wherever that is) just on one side, I would suspect a dodgy connection where the bulb holder fits into the lamp assembly. They are known for it.

Both sides Ted, I wonder if it's expensive to fix? I think I'll google it.

There is a multifunction relay passenger side under a cover with Phillips screws.
This is under the engine hood
It's very likely the flasher relay contacts inside the unit have stuck/ failed.
A tap on the relay should get them going again.
It's not a convention relay, more of a control unit with several relays built in

Thank you WG-MB. I have googled replacing the flasher unit and discovered they can cost £500! However have also found a most useful thread on another MB site which shows step by step how to remove and clean up the relay. I might even be able to do it myself, however I think I should show the thread to the garage owner who normally fixes things on my cars as he will know the safety issues. Obviously I know to disconnect the battery, but there may be other things I've no idea of.

Good news! The indicators are flashing again!

Bad news! I didn't do anŷthing at all to them, so it's bound to happen again.

Result, something will have to be done. However I take solace from having read up and asked on this forum; seems it's not necessarily an expensive fault.

From all the similar threads on other forums/fora, it seems a common fault, though after looking for hours on this one before posting I found nothing.

Many thanks.

There is a multifunction relay passenger side under a cover with Phillips screws.
This is under the engine hood
It's very likely the flasher relay contacts inside the unit have stuck/ failed.
A tap on the relay should get them going again.
It's not a convention relay, more of a control unit with several relays built in

Might be wise to fix the problem now, before it comes back, see… SLK Indicator lights staying on - Possible fix - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Dec

Couldn't agree more Dec, but at least the fact that they've started again means I might safely get to work on Tuesday! I don't feel confident doing it myself, but my usual garage is closed for the holiday. I had intended a nice drive in the Dales this weekend, but the weather isn't so good today (so far), so I'll stay close to home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom