• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Inexpensive Torque wrench...... any recommendations?

I now have this one

Sealey AK7302 Breaker Bar 750mm 1/2"Sq Drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002PMJ2LE/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

When I was looking at 1/2" drive breaker bars I found that some brands had both "normal" and "heavy duty" versions, with the latter being only slightly more expensive. I went for a 30" / 760mm HD one at £19.25:

cap1.JPG

The standard one (same make/size/vendor) was £17.99:

cap2.JPG

Of course you could always go for a Snap-On bar instead ... a bargain at £215 for a 36" one, or £252 if you want a soft handle on it :eek::eek::eek:

How can I ascertain which size of wheel impact socket should I opt for?

17mm on most smaller Merc. wheels, 19mm on larger ones.
Check the bolts and see what size socket fits?

17mm bolts on all of ours (C Class, SL, Vito).

Cheap torque wrenches are just not worth it. They are far from accurate and thats the point.

Tighten your wheels the way you have been and then take your car to a tyre shop or any garage and get them to torque them properly. They will do it for a drink.
My local tyre place calibrate their torque wrenches and tyre gauges every week.

Tighten your wheels the way you have been and then take your car to a tyre shop or any garage and get them to torque them properly. They will do it for a drink.
My local tyre place calibrate their torque wrenches and tyre gauges every week.

A few years ago we tried 3 places that we'd used before in our Industrial Estate, all said the same, "we don't have a torque wrench". ;)

But if you can find a good one stick with them, we have since found a great place that are honest, have all the tools and do the job right.

Good thread ... I'm going to order a wheel changing set of tools. Both Mercs still on winters so need swapping to summers.

Of course you could always go for a Snap-On bar instead ... a bargain at £215 for a 36" one, or £252 if you want a soft handle on it :eek::eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

I had a snap-on one which I bought I think in 1990, but I can't find it, either in the depths of the garage(must have a sort out, still have stuff in boxes since moving here 3 years ago), or lost in the last house move, really annoying losing good tools. I bought a cheap one from Machine mart to keep me going, got to stop doing that..

Thanks to this thread I now have my kit, purchased off amazon. The socket arrived a few days ago.

Attachments

• 030CD552-BAB4-4A84-93FC-6E7BE0E27D09.jpeg
    030CD552-BAB4-4A84-93FC-6E7BE0E27D09.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 23
Just to add to this thread and keep it all in one place, I bought a low Nm torque wrench last week, and it has been fantastic.
Teng 1492AGE 5-25nm 1/4-inch Torque Wrench.
I bought it for £49.99 from Amazon last week as I really needed to buy one for some projects.
It comes with a calibration certificate and results if that's important to you.
The cheapest ones available from other brands were about £35, but with very mixed reviews. I've got some other Teng kit, and it's been faultless.
Currently £47.50, and the three camels shows it's been as cheap as £41.95 on Amazon in the last 12 months.

teng torque wrench.jpg

Most mas produced wrenches are very poor markings on them so best to pick one up in your hand and look at it ..I have an old Norbar one with a window in it that you have to view the settings through . Draper professional is another good wrench

Just to add to this thread and keep it all in one place, I bought a low Nm torque wrench last week, and it has been fantastic.
Teng 1492AGE 5-25nm 1/4-inch Torque Wrench.
I bought it for £49.99 from Amazon last week as I really needed to buy one for some projects.
It comes with a calibration certificate and results if that's important to you.
The cheapest ones available from other brands were about £35, but with very mixed reviews. I've got some other Teng kit, and it's been faultless.
Currently £47.50, and the three camels shows it's been as cheap as £41.95 on Amazon in the last 12 months.

View attachment 115948
I’ve had the same one for a few years now , nice diy piece of kit

My torque wrench collection is 1/2 drive Teng 3/8 drive ancient American Williams tools 1/4 drive is Bluepoint

I use the Halfords professional range torque wrenches....4 years after purchase, the adjuster wheel was a little loose and they replaced the torque wrench with the latest model with no fuss or even a reciept.

They are a bit pricey but again as previously said by PCS , a good torque wrench is usually expensive and again only as good as its calibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom