• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Digital torque adaptor or Torque wrench

Well done.
The beauty of the Halfords tools with a lifetime warranty (I think it is called advanced or professional can't remember) is that you do not need to retain the receipt - I have had to take one ratchet spanner back and it was swapped straight away no questions asked. The tools are surprisingly good quality and value for money considering the reputation that Halfords has for repairing cars.
You can get 6 point and 12 point sockets (have a look on line at the difference) - the 6 point ones will fit the nut or bolt more snugly. Sockets rated as impact will be more durable but normal decent ones will be fine for what you are doing. A handheld LED inspection lamp is a real good investment for inspecting anything in the engine bay or brakes for example.
If you decide to expand your toolset then you will need a socket set - keep your eye on Halfords promotional offers - they do run some genuine 50% off offers and the sets are very good value then. Primetools is a very good online UK supplier of decent semi professional / good DIY tools such as Sealey, Britool, Bluepoint, Wera, Wira and Facom - there are several others. It is worth spending on tools rather than buying the cheapest crap - poor quality tools or the wrong tools will either break or break the thing that you are working on - or even worse cause an injury.

Thank you! This really helps, I’ve now got the correct equipment ordered / saved money and ironing out the steps in my notes

Along these lines atm:

Removal

• Parking Brake on / Wheel Chuck placed behind wheels
  • 1/4 inch turn to loosen Car Wheel Nuts whilst on ground
  • Jack car up
  • Breaker bar to remove wheel nut entirely

Installation

• Thread nut with socket or hands to snug fit on wheel
  • 130nm Torque wrench nuts to click noise
  • Lower car to ground
  • Check Torque 50-100 miles that torque wrench click still there at 130nm.
Your installation procedure is not quite right.....swap the second and third items the other way around.

Your installation procedure is not quite right.....swap the second and third items the other way around.
Thanks I’ve tweaked and also spotted Mercedes advice using a centring pin, I can’t find this anywhere is it worth getting?

I’m so glad found this forum, super helpful advise and tips all!

My new process below

Removing a wheel

• Jack car up
  • Unscrew using breaker bar and Mercedes adapters uppermost wheel bolt completely.
  • Screw centring pin into the thread instead of the wheel bolt.
img5dc27fc9f377cecc35477e686ee46ee4_1_--_--_TIFF.jpg

• Unscrew the remaining wheel bolts fully.
  • Remove the wheel.

Fitting a new wheel

imgf97cc00bf36e6d4f35477e6836f836f8_1_--_--_TIFF.jpg

• Slide the wheel to be mounted onto the centring pin and push it on.
  • Tighten the wheel bolts until they are finger-tight.
  • Unscrew the centring pin.
  • Tighten the last wheel bolt until it is finger-tight.
  • Lower car to the ground
  • Tighten the wheel bolts evenly in a crosswise pattern in the sequence indicated (The tightening torque must be 130 Nm.
Image.png

Well done.
The beauty of the Halfords tools with a lifetime warranty (I think it is called advanced or professional can't remember) is that you do not need to retain the receipt - I have had to take one ratchet spanner back and it was swapped straight away no questions asked. The tools are surprisingly good quality and value for money considering the reputation that Halfords has for repairing cars.
You can get 6 point and 12 point sockets (have a look on line at the difference) - the 6 point ones will fit the nut or bolt more snugly. Sockets rated as impact will be more durable but normal decent ones will be fine for what you are doing. A handheld LED inspection lamp is a real good investment for inspecting anything in the engine bay or brakes for example.
If you decide to expand your toolset then you will need a socket set - keep your eye on Halfords promotional offers - they do run some genuine 50% off offers and the sets are very good value then. Primetools is a very good online UK supplier of decent semi professional / good DIY tools such as Sealey, Britool, Bluepoint, Wera, Wira and Facom - there are several others. It is worth spending on tools rather than buying the cheapest crap - poor quality tools or the wrong tools will either break or break the thing that you are working on - or even worse cause an injury.
Thanks this helps a lot, and good advice.

Would an inspection light like this be good or you recommend a particular brand or design?

Yes I have an earlier version of this, I have had it for years. It is surprising how useful they are - not just for things on the car.

There is one other thing that we have all forgotten - if you are using a trolley jack then you really need a rubber or plastic "puck" to sit on the top of the jack and slot into the jacking point on the car. Without it there is a danger that the jack pad will damage the sill or the plastic cover that runs underneath the car. Not sure what style of jacking point you have but it is something like this

And this particular one is made in the UK !

There is one other thing that we have all forgotten - if you are using a trolley jack then you really need a rubber or plastic "puck" to sit on the top of the jack and slot into the jacking point on the car. Without it there is a danger that the jack pad will damage the sill or the plastic cover that runs underneath the car. Not sure what style of jacking point you have but it is something like this

And this particular one is made in the UK !
My car is 2016 April C300 Sport Premium, I think W205 so different?

I have to admit I don’t even know where the jacking point properly is on the car 😆

Mercedes guide isn’t exactly descriptive

I will defo get one of those pucks once we confirm!

Attachments

• IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 3
The jack pads are a must . Make sure you get the deep ones . The male part of the puck has to bottom out (God , that sounds so wrong) in the sill before the circular part makes contact with the sill for a safe lift. Anything less than 25mm high is too short.

The jack pads are a must . Make sure you get the deep ones . The male part of the puck has to bottom out (God , that sounds so wrong) in the sill before the circular part makes contact with the sill for a safe lift. Anything less than 25mm high is too short.
Please can you link me to one that’ll work 🙏

The inspection lamps with the thin LED type wand are great for poking through gaps and illuminating places you can't normally see. Try to get one with some kind of magnetic function , which can be very useful.

I have a rechargeable Parkside one I bought on a whim from Lidl a while back . It is a good piece of kit for the price.

It was a 'Middle of Lidl' deal . So hit and miss as to whether they are on sale now.

You could always pop into Lidl , but be careful , you might come home with an Aqualung and a Unicycle you didn't know yo needed.

Personally I prefer the rubber type , as there is a bit of 'give' in them and they won't slide like the harder material ones . I have no doubt that the Polyurethane ones would last a long time . For DIY and occasional use rubber one are fine.

I also (personally) have a problem ordering such a thing on line where the seller tells me what cars it will work on but does not supply actual measurements of the article.

I have been caught out like this before. The link above shows the size you are looking for . I am not endorsing this seller as I have had mine so long that I can't remember where I got them .

But these look OK.

Attachments

• IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    477.7 KB · Views: 1
Thanks I’ve tweaked and also spotted Mercedes advice using a centring pin, I can’t find this anywhere is it worth getting?

I’m so glad found this forum, super helpful advise and tips all!

My new process below

Removing a wheel

• Jack car up
  • Unscrew using breaker bar and Mercedes adapters uppermost wheel bolt completely.
  • Screw centring pin into the thread instead of the wheel bolt.
View attachment 145682

• Unscrew the remaining wheel bolts fully.
  • Remove the wheel.

Fitting a new wheel

View attachment 145683

• Slide the wheel to be mounted onto the centring pin and push it on.
  • Tighten the wheel bolts until they are finger-tight.
  • Unscrew the centring pin.
  • Tighten the last wheel bolt until it is finger-tight.
  • Lower car to the ground
  • Tighten the wheel bolts evenly in a crosswise pattern in the sequence indicated (The tightening torque must be 130 Nm.
View attachment 145681

Personally I wouldn't use the Jack MB supply unless it was a dire emergency . and the centering pin should be in your tool kit in the boot .

Looks like this .

Wheel well tools.jpg

Personally I wouldn't use the Jack MB supply unless it was a dire emergency . and the centering pin should be in your tool kit in the boot .

Looks like this .

View attachment 145699
Ah I don’t have any of that with my car, just basic tyre pump and sealant!

Jack wise I’d be using the Halfords 3 ton hydraulic trolley I got within thread above.

Personally I prefer the rubber type , as there is a bit of 'give' in them and they won't slide like the harder material ones . I have no doubt that the Polyurethane ones would last a long time . For DIY and occasional use rubber one are fine.

I also (personally) have a problem ordering such a thing on line where the seller tells me what cars it will work on but does not supply actual measurements of the article.

I have been caught out like this before. The link above shows the size you are looking for . I am not endorsing this seller as I have had mine so long that I can't remember where I got them .

But these look OK.
Thanks, I’ve found a few like this but it doesn’t say C Class W205, is this human error?
Makes sense to me, but does it fit W205 and my car

Attachments

• IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
I had no centring pin with my SL and ended up buying a pair off eBay, using one is good but using two operator each other is a lot easier 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom